• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
By "real jets", I mean Delta proper, not ASA. My last ASA turbo-prop flight was from ATL to Asheville during a thunderstorm. I had to take it because a client was waiting in Asheville. I swore it would be my last and it was. I am not a nervous flyer; have almost a million miles on Delta and a bunch on America, Eastern, Southern, etc.

If the new airport only offers ASA and the others, I will keep driving and counting the years before Alabama finishes US 431 between Phenix City and Eufaula. :D

That's not a bad route to and from Atl by way of Phenix and Columbus. Columbus is never dull at 2:30 in the morning on the way to ATL.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
All I really care about is Delta or AirTran flying a real jet to/from ATL. I guess the French and Germans could change planes in ATL.

The French and Germans won't change planes in ATL, they'll fly straight into Orlando and head for Disney like they do now...and those with lots of cash to burn will probably be jetting to Dubai.

dubai-beach.jpg

Last edited:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I think people are missing the point of an international airport. Currently you can fly in to PFN and sit on the tarmac waiting for customs to come from the port. The new airport will have customs on site. Ever gone through customs in NY, ATL, or others. The point is to be able to board a connector flight here going through a very short process and simply bypass the headache in other cities.

As to the Dubai comment SHELLY, keep in mind that we have alcohol and aren't surrounded by areas that could fall into civil war at any moment.

Miss Critter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 8, 2008
My perfect beach
In the recent edition of "Global Airport Cities" (issue 2, Volume 3), there is a Special Report on Panama City, Florida and "The USA's new green airport." Mostly, the article talks about JOE and Bay County's vision of the future, and plans to develop around the new airport.

My copy must've got lost in the mail. :lol:

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
I think people are missing the point of an international airport. Currently you can fly in to PFN and sit on the tarmac waiting for customs to come from the port. The new airport will have customs on site. Ever gone through customs in NY, ATL, or others. The point is to be able to board a connector flight here going through a very short process and simply bypass the headache in other cities.

As to the Dubai comment SHELLY, keep in mind that we have alcohol and aren't surrounded by areas that could fall into civil war at any moment.

Alcohol is served at hotels, clubs and resorts in Dubai--the civil war thing enhances "living life on the edge," like a canoe trip in Northern Geogia or partying in South Beach--or playing music after 8pm in SoWal.

Last edited:

traderx

Beach Fanatic
Mar 25, 2008
The French and Germans won't change planes in ATL, they'll fly straight into Orlando and head for Disney like they do now...and those with lots of cash to burn will probably be jetting to Dubai.

I meant the Germans and French to whom Joe will be marketing. Of course, we will need a topless accommodation somewhere along 30-a. :lol:

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
I meant the Germans and French to whom Joe will be marketing. Of course, we will need a topless accommodation somewhere along 30-a. :lol:

I'm betting the marketing people at JOE (if they haven't layed them all off by now) are clueless when it comes to selling this area as a destination resort to the French or Germans in large enough numbers to make it count. I can tell you for a fact, that any large number of Brits coming to Florida will make a beeline for Disney.

Last edited:

traderx

Beach Fanatic
Mar 25, 2008
I'm betting the marketing people at JOE (if they haven't layed them all off by now) are clueless when it comes to selling this area as a destination resort to the French or Germans in large enough numbers to make it count. I can tell you for a fact, that any large number of Brits coming to Florida will make a beeline for Disney.

I used to live and work in the People's Republic of Massachusetts and we had a large subsidiary in Germany. Our German employees would crawl off the plane asking how to get to DisneyWorld. No kidding.