• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Having said that: it will be years and years before Europeans come here in significant numbers - this area has incredible beaches but lacks the culture many europeans want (even when they are on vacation) - therefore they will pick Miami, Dubai, Mexico, etc... way before they pick the FL panhandle.
heehee
I was amazed to run into a couple of Belgian guys at the Piggly Wiggly here in PSJ last week. My conversation with them was cordial but brief. I was dying to ask them how on earth they found this place--but didn't. We three were too busy giggling over the quaintness of the Piggly Wiggly. Don't know what kind of bathing suits they wear, either. ;-)
Since living here, we've driven all the way to Orlando to fly to Europe, and Pensacola and VPS to fly domestically. I gotta say that in that aspect, it will be a relief to live close to JAX.
I agree that the area will eventually grow into the airport, and I agree that it has a ways to go.
But if two young guys from Belgium can find their way to PSJ, anything can happen.

BeachSteelers

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2006
Seagrove
People really believe an airport will increase tourism by 8 million people. HUMMMM> 8 mil div by 365= nearly 22,000 more people/day. Then figure each plane is a smaller jet carrying 70 each, cause my research shows(60+ segments/year all airlines going smaller regional jets, which means a whopping 300+ flights a day just coming in. 20 extra flight per hour per 15 hr 6am to 9pm flight times. Wake Up it will not happen. And I'm willing to bet ( a lot) that it'll still be ASA( Another S..tty Airline) and NW. Atlanta or Memphis. US Air to Charlotte don't count on it. Maybe Continental for the Texas crowd but no way direct to NY. So all you realtors keep dreaming of Hong Kong to PC or Heathrow to PC. I'm LMAO on this on. Got a bridge in NYC if anyone is interested, excellent location.
Does anyone put numbers together anymore or just go bleary eyed by the $$$$$ chingy. Another example for folks to ponder. Walton Sun 4/21... 480,000K for 1 mile of HWY 98 landscaping? With plans for doing all of 98 thru Walton County. At $91.43 per foot times 26 miles the County is wide equals approx. $12.5 MIL for Landscaping? I see all the makings of HWY Robbery or Gold Palm Trees. Not sure which though.

TNJed

Beach Fanatic
Sep 4, 2006
Seagrove Beach, FL
People really believe an airport will increase tourism by 8 million people. HUMMMM> 8 mil div by 365= nearly 22,000 more people/day. Then figure each plane is a smaller jet carrying 70 each, cause my research shows(60+ segments/year all airlines going smaller regional jets, which means a whopping 300+ flights a day just coming in. 20 extra flight per hour per 15 hr 6am to 9pm flight times. Wake Up it will not happen. And I'm willing to bet ( a lot) that it'll still be ASA( Another S..tty Airline) and NW. Atlanta or Memphis. US Air to Charlotte don't count on it. Maybe Continental for the Texas crowd but no way direct to NY. So all you realtors keep dreaming of Hong Kong to PC or Heathrow to PC. I'm LMAO on this on. Got a bridge in NYC if anyone is interested, excellent location.
Does anyone put numbers together anymore or just go bleary eyed by the $$$$$ chingy. Another example for folks to ponder. Walton Sun 4/21... 480,000K for 1 mile of HWY 98 landscaping? With plans for doing all of 98 thru Walton County. At $91.43 per foot times 26 miles the County is wide equals approx. $12.5 MIL for Landscaping? I see all the makings of HWY Robbery or Gold Palm Trees. Not sure which though.

I remember reading that Walton Sun article and it stated that the entire stretch of SoWal HWY 98 would not be getting the same expensive treatment as that initial area. Something about just planting wildflowers and such for most of it on the eastern end.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
There's been a small but steady trickle of European vacationers into the area for years. All you've got to do is listen for a while out at Silver Sands and you can suss them out. But they seem to be the people who heard about the place through some sort of NATO chatter, are friends of Raimund Hernden, or are looking for a vacation spot off the beaten path.

PalmBeach

Beach Lover
Feb 21, 2007
The current gate space and runway length at PCB is ample enough now to handle much larger aircraft. Airlines have flown much larger planes at times into PCB than they currently use and could again at any time. The problem is not one of size of airport, it is lack of demand to fly to PCB that dictates the small aircraft size used in the market. (Same for Ft Walton)Flyguy

The experts disagree with you regarding the runway length. I apparently can NOT handle larger aircraft.

Chickpea

Beach Fanatic
Dec 15, 2005
30-A Corridor
This building is exactly what the Orlando Jetport Terminal Building looked like 25 years ago. That was the entire shooting match. Chickpea, unless you count theme parks as culture, your theory may be in trouble. Orlando is overrun by foreign tourists. Until global warming starts frying Northern Europe, those pink Brits and Germans will seek out the cheap date that is Florida.

Hey Bob,
Funny comment about pink Brits and Germans!!! :rotfl: Orlando yes - Sowal - doubtful in the short term. Florida I know is very popular - I lived in Miami for 4 years and saw firsthand the crazy numbers of European travelers but IMHO it will really be years and years and years before they come here in significant numbers - there just is not enough to attract them in large numbers (and that is a good thing!!!)

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Hey Bob,
Funny comment about pink Brits and Germans!!! :rotfl: Orlando yes - Sowal - doubtful in the short term. Florida I know is very popular - I lived in Miami for 4 years and saw firsthand the crazy numbers of European travelers but IMHO it will really be years and years and years before they come here in significant numbers - there just is not enough to attract them in large numbers (and that is a good thing!!!)

I agree. Mention Florida in Europe and all you hear is "Disney" or "Miami/South Beach". There is no reason for them to travel further yet. But I'm guessing at some point the Panhandle Gulf Coast is marketed as the "American Riviera" not only in Europe but everywhere else. And it may work.