• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Alaqua Animal Refuge struggling after oil spill | spill, alaqua, struggling - News - Northwest Florida Daily News

Laurie Hood was struggling to stay afloat at Alaqua Animal Refuge prior to the oil spill in the gulf. But since the spill, it is nearing a mission impossible status.

?Since the oil disaster happened, all attention has been on it and I haven?t been getting donations,? said Hood. ?It?s been really hard at the refuge.?

To compensate for the lack of donations coming to the no-kill shelter, Hood is being forced to refuse many animals in need of homes.

Lois

Beach Lover
Aug 23, 2005
On the bay
Please consider arranging a $10 or more monthly direct deposit to Alaqua. If we could just get 4,000 Walton County residents to commit to doing this, Alaqua would be more than covered on their daily running expenses. The population of Walton County is over 55,000, therefore this shouldn?t be a difficult goal to attain. Alaqua provides this wonderful refuge and service on behalf of the county, it?s time we all helped out before we lose this wonderful resource.

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
Please consider arranging a $10 or more monthly direct deposit to Alaqua. If we could just get 4,000 Walton County residents to commit to doing this, Alaqua would be more than covered on their daily running expenses. The population of Walton County is over 55,000, therefore this shouldn?t be a difficult goal to attain. Alaqua provides this wonderful refuge and service on behalf of the county, it?s time we all helped out before we lose this wonderful resource.

I'll pledge $20 a month to AAR. That's $5 a week. So, I don't eat out lunch one day a week for the animals. I can do that. :wave:

I'll throw down the pledge. Don't buy some craptasitic plastic thing you can do without today and enrich our home by making it better for everyone, including those who cannot speak for themselves and are dependent upon our kindness.:love:

Miss Critter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 8, 2008
My perfect beach
I'm doing the same, Alicia. :wave: Come on, sowallers. Alaqua is a feel-good success story if ever there was one. Go to http:/aarflorida.com and click on Monthly Giving in the upper left corner. Be a hero.

And while you're at it, become a facebook fan to see all the wonderful photos of precious animals who've found loving homes through Alaqua.

Last edited:

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
I'm doing the same, Alicia. :wave: Come on, sowallers. Alaqua is a feel-good success story if ever there was one. Go to http:/aarflorida.com and click on Monthly Giving in the upper left corner. Be a hero.

And while you're at it, become a facebook fan to see all the wonderful photos of precious animals who've found loving homes through Alaqua.

Wow!!!!!!!!! That was easy cheesy. Thanks for the link:wave::wave:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
you guys are awesome.

yes, Alaqua Animal Refuge is an incredible place! They need all of our support. Thank you all for this thread and let's pledge to donate now!

I would love to donate and I will. AND I am finally going for a visit. I have not visited yet because I am afraid. I am afraid of what cute hairy thing I'm going to bring home forever. But, its time for a visit! I've heard so many outstanding stories about the place.

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
I've been to Alaqua and was so impressed with Laurie Hood, the volunteers and staff. Alaqua provides a refuge for all kinds of animals from pigs to peacocks and you can sense the animals feel the love. It's a funn place to visit with your family because they have some cool hens, chickens and birds, and even a house ferret, the peacocks and llamas are beautiful and have a place to call home, while you can see them up close. Who knows, you may even find a furever friend.

I can't volunteer from afar for wildlife rescue from the spill, but I can help rescue another animal with a small donation. Count me in.

Here's the link for donating on the Alaqua site.

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/w...2300ef60a6759516e590e949da361e9502e138eefdd27

Let's pull together to keep this great place going!

I'm donating monthly too. Also buying items or donating items at Alaqua's two bargain thrift store locations can be a big help.

Lynn and Min's in Freeport and Scavenger's in SRB are both trying to help Laurie out--Check them out if you are looking for furniture or odds and ends.

CandyM

Beach Comber
Jun 13, 2010
The best thing about visiting Alaqua is that even when you leave animals there, it's the happiest place on earth. You don't have to feel terrible about their plight and worry about which dog/cat will die if you don't take them. It's truly one of the most amazing places I've ever seen and Laurie is a saint. I donate as often as I can.

you guys are awesome.

yes, Alaqua Animal Refuge is an incredible place! They need all of our support. Thank you all for this thread and let's pledge to donate now!

I would love to donate and I will. AND I am finally going for a visit. I have not visited yet because I am afraid. I am afraid of what cute hairy thing I'm going to bring home forever. But, its time for a visit! I've heard so many outstanding stories about the place.