• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

drunkkenartist

Beach Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
Sunny Hills, FL
www.drunkkenart.com
Hey gang. I'm in search of Alligator Free Kayaking. My own lake is "infested". I have about 5-6 that 'hang out' at the edge of property in my back yard.:eek:

I drove to Tyndall AFB on a couple of weeks ago, saw a trail of bubbles around me NOT caused by my oars, only to see a sign that read, WARNING -Alligator habitat. :bang:

Having been victim to undertow 3 times in two summers, I'm not fond of the Gulf either. If an accident can happen it will happen to me.:shark:

I have lived around the corner from Econfina and didn't really know it, have never been there and am looking for more info.:doh:

I wouldn't mind driving an hour or two if I make a day or overnight trip of it. I believe in safety in numbers...open to invites!:D

Short of a swimming pool, any suggestions?:dunno:

dka:drink:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
I'm your gull! :D

drunkkenartist

Beach Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
Sunny Hills, FL
www.drunkkenart.com
No, you are my hero! The definition of true good sportsmanship. How do you like my picture tribute to ya?

After I did it, I thought of "Starry Night" by Van Gogh, and Voila', it created a life of its own.

I call it "Kitty Van Gogh"

OK, I'm finally going to bed!

dka and fellow night owl!

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
:clap_1: ...I don't like it, I love it!!!! I :love: Van Gogh, so it is an awesome tribute. I asked elsewhere though...does she have both ears?

Sweet dreams!

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Realistically, the way you're going to find truly gator-free kayaking is to drive to central or northern Alabama or some other place where it gets cooler in the winter than it does here.

Short of that, open water in Choctaw Bay isn't too bad. They have trapped in Boggy Bayou in the past when the gators got too close to a couple of swimming areas, though it's been a while, but on the flip side, I've never seen gators in the stretch of Turkey Creek south of Colleve Blvd.

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Jun 21, 2005
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
Hey gang. I'm in search of Alligator Free Kayaking. My own lake is "infested". I have about 5-6 that 'hang out' at the edge of property in my back yard.:eek:

I drove to Tyndall AFB on a couple of weeks ago, saw a trail of bubbles around me NOT caused by my oars, only to see a sign that read, WARNING -Alligator habitat. :bang:

Having been victim to undertow 3 times in two summers, I'm not fond of the Gulf either. If an accident can happen it will happen to me.:shark:

I have lived around the corner from Econfina and didn't really know it, have never been there and am looking for more info.:doh:

I wouldn't mind driving an hour or two if I make a day or overnight trip of it. I believe in safety in numbers...open to invites!:D

Short of a swimming pool, any suggestions?:dunno:

dka:drink:

Try the Econfina Creek Canoe Livery in Youngstown, FL. We went there and canoed two years ago. Nice canoe trip. You stop at the first bridge, which is 7 miles. There are 6 or 7 springs off to the side for viewing. Two older women came down to where we were being picked up on kayaks. They had their truck parked at the pick up point. Calm water, have to maneuver around a tree or two which is challenging. Great place.

Here is their website: www.CanoeEconfinaCreek.com

Last edited:

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
SmileyJ told me all you need to do is hit it on the snout with your paddle and it will go away. I've been on Western Lakes dozens of times and I've never had the opportunity, though. I think alligators must run at the sight of the pink paddles. Durn! :blush:

Last edited:

30gAy

Beach Fanatic
Jul 4, 2006
The greater SoWal metro area

Oh DA, I feel for ya.

You know, several years back I had similar run ins with alligators and other creatures.

I set out on what was to be a leisurely day on the water, outfitted only for a short camping trip, when I found myself pursued by alligators and was forced to canoe deeper into the Choctawhatchee swamps. Soon, all measure of strange creatures were chasing me, including dangerous encounters with dinosaurs, particularly a Tyrannosaurus rex I nickname "Grumpy". I also had to tangle with menacing Sleestak and ambiguous "cave-men" called Pakuni -one of whom, Cha-Ka, I befriended.

It was only thanks to the help of Cha-Ka is was able to find my way home.

Be careful out there- it?s a weird, weird world.

sleestacks.gif

Look out for Sleestaks in the swamps of South Walton

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Just stay out of the way of the big ones, especially during mating season. Otherwise, most of the ones around here don't want anything to do with a man in a kayak. As someone else wrote, the only way to escape them is to head way north to central/north Alabama or Georgia. My suggestion is to just go where ever you want and learn to appreciate being able to paddle in the same water where they live. Do remember to respect any animal with a mouth larger than your head. ;-)