• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

WLD

Beach Lover
Jul 10, 2005
ATL
This season, WaterColor and WaterSound had removable aluminum dune walkovers built. While not pretty, these walkovers do two important things: 1. make the beach accessible immediately after a big storm rather than waiting for a new wood unit to be permitted and built. 2. avoid adding a big pile of timber filled with nails and screws to the debris of the next big storm.

I don't know how the aluminum units compare price-wise to timber--but maybe this is something that those of us who 'own' a walkover, either through a community association or privately, should be considering.

The Seaside walkovers are special and will be missed if they aren't rebuilt--but most of the other walkovers in the county are not architectural landmarks and the practicality of removable aluminum walkovers may be worth the aesthetic trade-off.

I'd love to know more about that. Our neighborhood looked at doing a removable walkover for the same reasons, but we wanted to get one up fast to avoid losing rentals, so we decided on wood. Just wonder where the neighborhood would store something that large during a storm. Maybe each neighbor stores a section of it?

Landlocked

Beach Fanatic
May 16, 2005
Alabama
Beach Runner said:
I'd love to know more about that. Our neighborhood looked at doing a removable walkover for the same reasons, but we wanted to get one up fast to avoid losing rentals, so we decided on wood. Just wonder where the neighborhood would store something that large during a storm. Maybe each neighbor stores a section of it?

I don't see what the problem would be. Sounds like a great investment to me. You could paint them and they wouldn't look to bad. :dunno:

The pier we used to fish on was aluminum. It kind of chewed your feet up after a day of fishing but it wasn't hot or anything.

I'm sure they aren't cheap though.

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
The county has looked into using the aluminum walkovers. They determined that it would be feasible to use them for only a few of the walkovers. They are removable, but extremely heavy and difficult to remove. The County said it would take 6 men 6-8 hours to remove each walkover--not possible to do when a storm is 36 hours to landfall and you've got 2 dozen walkovers.

Camp Creek Kid said:
The county has looked into using the aluminum walkovers. They determined that it would be feasible to use them for only a few of the walkovers. They are removable, but extremely heavy and difficult to remove. The County said it would take 6 men 6-8 hours to remove each walkover--not possible to do when a storm is 36 hours to landfall and you've got 2 dozen walkovers.
Couldn't they be constructed in a modular fashion so that the weight is divided up? My husband says that aluminum weighs less than wood - I dunno - I'm not an engineer - never had a "Materials Science" course.