• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

fisher

Beach Fanatic
Sep 19, 2005
Not sure but they were in the same neighborhood. Several months apart. Probably a better lot. Buyers today do their homework. Trust me on that one. That's why they are buyers today.

I still don't understand a 50% premium on the second lot sold in Alys--the lots can't be that different (an ocean view from the top of the dune should be the same from either lot). I gotta believe the second buyer did not do their homework to see that the other lot sold a couple of months previously for $1 million less.

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com
I still don't understand a 50% premium on the second lot sold in Alys--the lots can't be that different (an ocean view from the top of the dune should be the same from either lot). I gotta believe the second buyer did not do their homework to see that the other lot sold a couple of months previously for $1 million less.

Trying to undertand it myself. It appears it was the choice lot in Alys beach. They have 2 other ones available listed for $2,750,000. That looks to be it. The one that sold for less appears to be the one that next to the Hilton Home. Maybe that's why? :dunno:
I only see four lots total and 2 are gone.

fisher

Beach Fanatic
Sep 19, 2005
I see 20 homes for sale in Alys. What is the total number of completed homes?? Those 20 for sale seem to represent a huge chunk of the completed homes in the neighborhood.

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
It is actually 19 homes for sale if you are counting completed homes. One of those twenty listings is "to be built." Not sure of total number of homes built in Alys.

fisher

Beach Fanatic
Sep 19, 2005
Thanks for the clarification SJ. I was just curious as to the % of homes for sale versus the total built.

I don't have all the data you have available at your fingertips. So, I have a question. Is it just my imagination or is Watercolor the primary driver of sales along 30A these days. It just seems that the majority of sales in the big developments are occurring there versus Rosemary, Seaside, Alys, Watersound, etc.

Is it possible to get YTD sales numbers (quantity of homes, lots and condos) for these subdivisions?

wadecool

Beach Lover
Jul 17, 2009
Elizabethtown, KY
When they say "hurricane proof", I wonder if that's a relative term. I would imagine that if something like Katrina came along, they may redefine that classification. Even still, if the actual concrete bunkers held up, they would probably end up being washed out concrete bunkers and pretty close to a total loss.
As a proud capitalist myself, I think a person ought to be able to spend as much of his or her own money on whatever, be it a traditional stick built home, concrete bunker, etc, without being judged for it. I do however, have to scratch my head at a homeowner at Alys Beach thinking his place is going to be untouched by a Cat 4 plus storm, while the homes in the surrounding developments are washed away. Seems like a false sense of security.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
When they say "hurricane proof", I wonder if that's a relative term. I would imagine that if something like Katrina came along, they may redefine that classification. Even still, if the actual concrete bunkers held up, they would probably end up being washed out concrete bunkers and pretty close to a total loss.
As a proud capitalist myself, I think a person ought to be able to spend as much of his or her own money on whatever, be it a traditional stick built home, concrete bunker, etc, without being judged for it. I do however, have to scratch my head at a homeowner at Alys Beach thinking his place is going to be untouched by a Cat 4 plus storm, while the homes in the surrounding developments are washed away. Seems like a false sense of security.

Perhaps you should consult with an engineer or architect. They can explain the exact differences to you.

wadecool

Beach Lover
Jul 17, 2009
Elizabethtown, KY
After personally driving through Gulfport, MS to pick up some friends soon after Katrina made landfall, I would say there could be a difference between what an architect says on a brochure about "hurricane proof", and what actually happens in a big storm. The locals in Gulfport we were with pointed out some homes built at ground level that were supposed to be hurricane proof, but were either totally gone, or in some cases the main structure was still standing, but was literally washed out from the storm surge.

SWGB, you are correct in that I haven't consulted an engineer or architect personally.... as far as I know the builders of Alys Beach constructed those homes to the level of NORAD's Cheyenne Mountain. While researching the local communities for a future purchase, I was just struck by the claims about the construction at Alys Beach being "hurricane proof", especially since they are built at ground level.

Last edited:

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Virtually all the damage on the Miss. Gulf Coast was because of storm surge. Their elevation is about five to ten feet above sea level and the gulf is extremely shallow for hundreds of yards. This was the recipe for disaster over there. In addtion, they have not been building hurricane resistant houses for some time now. In Florida, the building code is quite a bit more stringent, and in Walton County the elevation is quite a lot higher. I'm a builder and I'd say that Alys Beach is probably the most hurricane proof community on the Florida coast. The storm surge will not get there. Period.