1. Trouble logging in? Send a message with your username & email address for help.
    Dismiss Notice

Alys Beach white

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by katie blue, Sep 13, 2005.

1. katie blue

katie blue kt loo

Even photos of Alys are blinding with all that white. ANy of you know if the final concept includes some climbing ivy, or foliage of some sort to tone it down some? Curious, because it seems to be the one thing that's commented on repeatedly.

If it were my develoment, and I had to stay close to this concept, I'd choose to paint the adjacent buidings with different shades of white, light taupes, creams, etc. (what they call tone-on-tone.) It would add visual depth and reduce some of the glare while keeping the Bermuda-white theme pretty much intact. And I'd be careful to plant masking foliage all over, for balance. (bouganvillias! hibiscuses!)

ALSO: what happened to the six big palms that they planted there...made it look like that famous road in Hollywood for a while there, but now theyre gone. Wha'happened?

2. bsmart

bsmart brain

http://www.dpz.com/projects.htm After clicking on this site, click the state of FL, then scroll to find Alys Beach and you will find numerous renderings which aren't featured on the alysbeach.com site. I am particularly fond of the Flatiron building. However, I am not too sure of those windmill structures which are meant to add architectural interest to the dune walkovers. It looks as though there will be vines, hedges, and taller more mature looking trees planted along the outer peripheries of the homes and structures.

3. pk305

pk305 Beach Fanatic

I totally agree. Last week when we drove past Alys, I commented that even with my sunglasses on the glare was making it hard for me to even look at the buildings & that surely a lot of landscaping would be done to help with this problem.....you are right that perhaps painting tone on tone would be a good idea.

4. Camp Creek Kid

Camp Creek Kid Christini Zambini

Katie,

I'm only guessing about the palms, but I think they were just testing them out to see how they'd look. Before the palms there were some type of box shrubs there. The palms had to be removed for road construction. They are planning to make two one-lane, one-way roads on either side of 30-A as an access to the development and to avoid having parking on 30-A like Seaside. On the eastern end of Alys Beach they are planning a large roundabout on 30-A--not sure how that is going to work.

As far as the white, what you see is what you get. I think landscaping will be extensive, but it will be formal--manicured lawns and hedges, etc. It will be a much more formal look than Seaside or Rosemary.

I like the interesting architecture, but I agree that painting the houses tone-on-tone would lessen the glare. Maybe they want to allow people to sunbathe in their private courtyards by using the reflection of the sun? :D

5. Camp Creek Kid

The windmill idea was abandoned, but there will be some type of structure at the beach walkovers similar to the pavillions at Seaside.

6. bsmart

bsmart brain

Oh I am glad to hear that the windmills will not be used. After visiting the www.alysbeach.com and clicking on community and then renderings, it appears that they are now going to build much better looking towers, with tarnished copper roofing and bermuda shutters, near the dune walkovers. Maybe these small buildings will house the outdoor showers such as those at Rosemary Beach?

7. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Below is my photo of Alys Beach:

-

8. Landlocked

Landlocked Beach Fanatic

:floor:

9. katie blue

katie blue kt loo

I see it! White people in White Shirts on the white sand in front of white buildings! Drinking Pina Coladas! nice photo.

10. Rudyjohn

Rudyjohn SoWal Insider

The Greek Isle buildings are all blinding white.
    It will mean a lot of upkeep tho. A lot of regular power-washing and painting.

11. Camp Creek Kid

SJ, it took me a minute, but I got it! :floor:

12. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Just a bit of white humor. :lol:
    The photo is impressionistic. Some of you may see the aerial point of view, while others see only the side of one wall, and others , like Katie Blue, may see much much more. :lol:

13. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Can you imagine what it would be like to come out of the Red Bar if it were in Alys Beach? I would not be able to see for years.

14. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

"My eyes, My eyes"...Shelley Winters

15. CastlesOfSand

CastlesOfSand Beach Fanatic

Get my sunglasses!!!:floor:

16. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

Alys must be what my husband was talking about- he had to go over to PCB for something and when he came back, he was telling everyone about this huge white place, but couldn't really describe it other than that. I never made it east past Bud & Alley's (I don't think). After looking at the pics, it's probably a good thing. White things don't stay clean in my family for long- I could never live there. We would have to have a little white dog too I imagine.

17. Rita

Rita margarita brocolia

I'm sure I saw one in SJ's photo - a Scotty I think!

18. Mermaid

Mermaid picky

Alys Beach is the poster child of all those people who go down to the beach with their families, photographer in tow, all dressed in white.

19. bsmart

bsmart brain

HAHAHA! I have one of those photos of my family. We stood in the surf, but I know some families who have their photos made while standing on the sand dunes--shame.

20. ktschris

ktschris Beach Fanatic

SJ, now that was funny.

I can just hear someone giving directions to their house...

turn left, its the white one, you can't miss it. :rolling: