• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Sambuca26

Beach Comber
Jan 15, 2007
If you would buy a house in one of these communities, which one would you pick? please explain why, if possible. What other communities are worth looking at? Where are the best values?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
If you would buy a house in one of these communities, which one would you pick? please explain why, if possible. What other communities are worth looking at? Where are the best values?
Those are wide open questions. Expect many answers.

JoshMclean

Beach Fanatic
Jan 15, 2007
Santa Rosa Beach
I would choose Watercolor personally. Alys and Rosemary are overpriced in my opinion for what they offer. All three are very expensive regardless. You really wouldn't ever need to leave Watercolor if you didn't want to. I live in Santa Rosa Beach so I am not bias to any of the areas.
The very natural beauty of Watercolor is what really attracts me. There are tons of great trails for walking/biking in the area also. Be ready for high insurance and association dues in all 3 areas.

SGB

Beach Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
South Walton
I would choose Watercolor personally. Alys and Rosemary are overpriced in my opinion for what they offer. All three are very expensive regardless. You really wouldn't ever need to leave Watercolor if you didn't want to. I live in Santa Rosa Beach so I am not bias to any of the areas.
The very natural beauty of Watercolor is what really attracts me. There are tons of great trails for walking/biking in the area also. Be ready for high insurance and association dues in all 3 areas.

High property taxes too! I'm not really a "development" type person, so none of them really appeal to me, but if I had to I also, would choose Watercolor. Seems more florida beachy and native and there's a smidge more space between the houses. I also like the beach/pool club being on the beach, with access to a restaurant/bar. I don't know how the association fees compare, I hear that they're all pretty high.

Although it's not on your list, I also really like Watersound. Beautiful beaches and homes.

Linda

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Watercolor for me. I like the beach club, restaurants, nature trails, Western Lake, architecture, Ceruleans and all that Watercolor offers.

tistheseason

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I have to say Alys. I love the feeling that it envokes.

But you really wouldn't go wrong with any of the above. It just depends on the particular house/lot you are looking for.

Indigo Jill

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2006
Point Washington
www.sowalscene.com
Alys Beach for me, but a few years ago I may have said WaterColor because of my boys' ages - they are now older so our needs aren't the same as far as parks, children's programs, etc. go. (WaterColor is a great place for families with small children). I say Alys Beach for many reasons but I personally love the architecture - oh, the courtyards! It's a green community and the homes are built like fortresses (think hurricanes here), and, once the community is built out, there will be something like 9 restaurants scattered around the community, a town center and a private beach club. I think the community will hold it's value IMO.

Sambuca26

Beach Comber
Jan 15, 2007
Thanks for all of the feedback.

Seems like every house is for sale in Rosemary.

How long do they expect before Alys is built out?

Have the prices in these comunities come down from the high?

Which area is likely to hold their value - appreciate?

Last edited:

fisher

Beach Fanatic
Sep 19, 2005
Thanks for all of the feedback.

Seems like every house is available in Rosemary.

How long do they expect before Alys is built out?

There is much more inventory available in Watercolor than Rosemary, but WC is a bigger community. However, as a percent of homes built or under construction, Watersound may have the highest percentage of homes for sale.

At the rate of sales that occurred in 2007 (there weren't many sales in 2006), Alys won't be built out until probably 2080 as there will eventually be over 800 units. I know some folks like Alys, but I would say that I hear one positive comment about Alys for every 10 negative comments. Seems most people hate the zero lot line that many of the houses have in Alys, plus the staggering whiteness on a sunny day plus the lack of much greenery around the houses due to the zero lot lines. If you want really private quarters, Alys has that. If you want open space between houses, greenery around the houses, color and diversity of architecture, Alys would not be for you.

I hear lots of positive comments about Watersound from folks without kids. However, I hear the most positive comments about Watercolor due to the beach club with dining, bike trails, canoeing, fishing in Western lake, proximity to the shops and dining in Seaside, the proximity to Publix, surrounded on a couple of sides by state park, and the central location on 30A.

Good luck.

Last edited: