• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Poodleone

Beach Fanatic
Jun 27, 2006
Kerens, Texas
I know that grouper is the popular sandwich fish and my husband has certainly had his share over the years. However, he really prefers amberjack. Does anyone have any recent recommendations for amberjack?

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
It's more flavorful than grouper. I like it either pan-sauteed or grilled. Simple, with its flavor, it doesn't need a sauce or topping. Get it fresh at Goatfeathers. They have it every time I'm there.

Poodleone

Beach Fanatic
Jun 27, 2006
Kerens, Texas
Thanks for the suggestions. We have only had the happy hour oysters at Busters- never think to look at the menu! We leave in three weeks for our first condo stay in Blue Mountain- always stayed at Henderson Park Inn before. I am SO looking forward to checking out the area.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I recommend throwing some Amberjack into a fish taco. Yummy!

Wait, are those fish tacos I smell? Why yes, they are. :love:

aquaticbiology

fishlips
May 30, 2005
redneck heaven
:drool: ammmmmberjaaaaaaack!

Yummy*yummy=YUMMY!^2

"get in my bellly!"

cousin to pompano

scientific name of 'hardious pullius' is a pun

will take all the line off your reel

oily-ish but low flash point sometimes leaves skin on the grill

lesser more tasty than greater, imohao

brick-red layer like trout and seabass (i like it, but some say its bitter)

grrrrrrrrrrr

Paige

Beach Lover
Mar 6, 2005
Arkansas
TreeFrog said:
It's more flavorful than grouper. I like it either pan-sauteed or grilled. Simple, with its flavor, it doesn't need a sauce or topping. Get it fresh at Goatfeathers. They have it every time I'm there.

Goatfeathers didn't have Amberjack the at the Seagrove location, the 3 times I was there last week.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
Paige said:
Goatfeathers didn't have Amberjack the at the Seagrove location, the 3 times I was there last week.

Sorry to hear that. That's where I go too. It's been a couple of weeks since I've been there. Anyway, they USED TO have every time I was there. :roll:

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La
just got back from shrimpers on hwy 98 in SRB. they have amberjack....:clap_1:

John

Beach Fanatic
Dec 3, 2005
SoWal
Found this on the Internet. I'm surprised no one here has yet mentioned the parasite issue...when cooking they sometimes crawl out.

RECIPE FOR COOKING AMBERJACK
The Atlantic and Gulf Amberjack is a sought after game fish because of its abilty to smoke a drag on a good reel and tear a drag out of a cheap one. This fish has junked as many reels, broke as many lines and pissed off as many anglers as any fish in the ocean. I don't have a good picture to post but trust me, they are a pretty fish. Problem is that they are not the best eating fish and some people just won't eat them at all. They are bloody as hell and have to be bled before putting them on ice if you plan to eat them. They also probably will contain some parasites, especially around the tail section. But they can be cooked. And this is how:

Cut the head off and gut the fish but leave the skin and scales. Salt and pepper the body cavity and I like to add a little bit of garlic powder. Sometimes I may stuff a few green peppers and maybe a few olives in the body cavity. Roll the fish into a ball of wet clay. Red Georgia clay works well but I can't find it in Florida except already dried out on a summer tourists vehicle. But the grey colored stuff we have here works well also. Be sure that the clay is at least an inch thick but no more than an inch and a half thick all around the fish.

After you have the fish prepared put it on a baking pan and bake it at 350 degrees for two hours. (When I first was taught to cook like this we placed the fish in a campfire and went off and left it for a while) When you take the fish out you have to let the clay cool for another hour or so. Break the clay open with a hammer. If you tap all the way around it usually it will open up into two pieces. Then using a spoon, scoop the fish out of each piece of the clay, discard it, and serve the clay with a white wine.