• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
@Seadune85 I don't know the people you refer to and I'm sure they are good folks as you say. I don't know their names or who their mother is. It's not relevant to me. My issue is with beach chair setups on public beaches where people just want to go relax and enjoy the day on a beautiful beach. The beaches are ruined by cluttered signs and ropes and fences as well as chair setups, multiplying and it's just not necessary. Also many vendors are using the dunes for storage. Most beach towns have strict rules about vending on the beach. That's what we need here.

Seadune85

Beach Lover
May 23, 2016
South of the bay
Misty, you may want to reread my post. I never said her son was one of those vendors I simply stated that it was being done. Teresa I completely agree that the clutter is uncalled for. And the county has given permission for those boxes to eliminate storage in the dunes but all vendors are not using them and that needs to be enforced. There again a few bad apples. But I'm torn as a property owner. I wouldn't want someone camped out in my backyard with loud music getting drunk leaving junk behind from 10 kids. But my backyard hasn't customarily been used by millions of people for countless years either. If a property owner can prove what they need to prove then it's none of my business but the public accesses should be easily accessible by the public as should public beaches that are not owned to the MHWL which there are plenty of in this county. A solution to curb some of these issues would be to spend all the money used on advertising to buy every piece of available property to accommodate the thousands of people that are still going to come without any advertising. I'm usually a lurker and try not to get involved in these heated discussions because what's it really going to solve. The powers that be will do what they want anyway. I just couldn't see a friend thrown under the bus without putting in my 2 cents. Put yourself in his shoes...would u want to be thrown into a conversation on a forum simply because of who you were related to...lord knows I dont...

Last edited:

Beauford

Beach Lover
Jun 23, 2015
So I hear the amendment passed but there was something about ... 'not so fast' .. daytime signs or something?

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
@Seadune85 You must admit that 1 bad apple does tend to spoil it for the whole bunch which, has obviously happened with "vendors". They ALL are in part, the reason this issue has become such a hot mess.

You think it's unfair that C. Jones son is being thrown under the bus but the bottom line is, it is more a vendor/signage issue and became a "customary use" issue because of problems created by vendors, signs, ropes and chains.

What you actually said in your post was
All the vendors have signed contracts by the homeowners for those properties to give them exclusive rights to set up chairs or water sports or whatever else they would like to do with it I guess.
When you said ALL it was safe to assume that Ms. Jones son was also a part of that as he is a vendor. Now, you're backtracking and saying he isn't one of those vendors. Which is it?

I think it's unfair of a County Commissioner (who just happens to have a son with a vested interest in keeping things just the way they are) to act as if she has led this charge to address this issue, That simply is not true and her letter is very misleading and does NOT address ALL the issues vendors and beach signage, ropes and fencing have created.

WMW

Beach Comber
Mar 28, 2014
So I hear the amendment passed but there was something about ... 'not so fast' .. daytime signs or something?

Yes, amendment passed as proposed with all three bcc women voting "yes" the two bcc men voting "no"

Before vote, there was a lot of hem-hawing, but it was finally decided that a comprehensive look at the beach is needed. Thereby addressing property rights, vendors, tents, umbrellas (maybe elimination or setbacks from water), trash, sand holes, etc......with a major future emphasis on enforcement. Time will tell.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
Yes, amendment passed as proposed with all three bcc women voting "yes" the two bcc men voting "no"

Before vote, there was a lot of hem-hawing, but it was finally decided that a comprehensive look at the beach is needed. Thereby addressing property rights, vendors, tents, umbrellas (maybe elimination or setbacks from water), trash, sand holes, etc......with a major future emphasis on enforcement. Time will tell.
So they will all be gone tomorrow ?

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Approved 3-2 by the Walton County Board of County Commissioners (BCC) at the June 14 meeting was an amendment to the Walton County Waterways and Beach Activities Ordinance stating that obstructions on the beach such as ropes, chains and signs would not be permitted, either during the day or evening.

From Defuniak Herald

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
The signs, chains and ropes must come down! Thank you Commissioners Cindy Meadows, Celia Jones and Sarah Commander for standing up to your other two Commissioners and the lawyers and the beach front homeowners!!

"Let no barriers or signs impede us on our beaches on this day or ever. This, to claim the Beaches of South Walton from the dune line to the water line for the customary use for all to fairly and equitably use and enjoy for eternity. "This sand is your sand, this sand is our sand"

Now let's get to work ensuring behavior on the beach is regulated properly by code enforcement.