• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

MRBS

Beach Lover
Jun 5, 2008
Sad. Maybe we venture elsewhere for vacation. I hope the revised ordinance goes through and that beach front owners can really rely on the county to enforce its laws against behavior already prohibited.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
The way I read it they dont approve of the post.....doesnt say anything about the post "CARD"........but it still makes you wonder if they are not involved why does it have their number on it. Maybe they should be looking at their clients that might be trying for a class action.
The local firm is most likely involved with certain property owners and that makes sense. But they would not be involved in the info on the postcard or the public posting shown on Facebook. Or here. I think that's what their post was about.

Johnny Z

Beach Crab
Jun 12, 2016
Huntsville, AL
This is on the Agenda for June 14th. Request to amend Chapter 22 of the Walton County Code of Ordinances (obstructions on the beach)

Please note Sec 22-55,

"It shall be unlawful for any person to place, construct or maintain an obstruction on the beach. Obstructions, include, but are not limited to ropes, chains, signs, or fences."

Link: Ch. 22 Amendment - Final Draft (redlined)
We need this. Signs, ropes and chains left on the beach should go to the dumpster like other litter. The stuff is ugly and creates safety problems by inhibiting movement of beach patrol vehicles. It is often put where it clearly is on the public domain and poses hazards to people and sea life. The county needs to make sure our beaches remain beautiful for everyone's sake, including those with the bad taste to clutter them up.

wastinaway

Beach Comber
Jan 11, 2015
The Clark Partington law firm became aware of this post, and the message that it depicts on the afternoon of June 10, 2016. THE CLARK PARTINGTON FIRM DID NOT DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY ENDORSE OR APPROVE EITHER THE CONTENT OR DISSEMINATION OF THIS POST. It does not represent the opinion of the Clark Partington firm, nor any lawyer or staff member, with respect to any current or proposed legislation governing access to, or the right to use, the beach anywhere in the State of Florida.

Even if they don't "endorse or approve" the ad, it's not hard to figure out why they were included in it. They've been advertising in the margins of the SoWal forum for a month encouraging homeowners to contact them about their rights. I've attached a screenshot of their ad in the margin as I read this exact thread...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-06-12 at 8.33.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-06-12 at 8.33.51 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 189

Rainlr

Beach Lover
Jan 30, 2016
Here is a copy of an e-mail I received from Ms. Jones . If you are unable to attend the meeting this afternoon please e-mail the commissioners to voice your opinion on this important issue. Or better yet do both!

chabill@co.walton.fl.us

joncecilia@co.walton.fl.us

comsara@co.walton.fl.us

meacindy@co.walton.fl.us

imfbill@co.walton.fl.us

Dear Friends,

Your support on an issue of significant importance to Walton County would be appreciated.

Several months ago, I asked county staff to draft an ordinance for review, discussion and hopefully approval by the Board of County Commissioners. The purpose was to strengthen Walton County’s beach rules to prevent signs, ropes, chains and fences from littering our treasured coastline. Our talented staff did significant research and work to revise our current Beach Activities Ordinance that is fair and reasonable however, the changes will remove these obstructions from our beach. These revisions also support our Leave No Trace Ordinance.

Taking a stand on this issue became imperative after hearing from constituents throughout Walton County that they no longer feel safe or comfortable on our beaches. Residents wanted action; they’d been asking for action and I decided to take the lead.

After driving the coastline with county staff it became clear why residents are so concerned. There are fences that extend to the waterline, along with rusty chains (in some cases), in addition to clearly dangerous signs. The safety of children, of emergency vehicles and of our wildlife (including our beloved sea turtles) is at risk.

Quite frankly: if we don’t take action – now – our beach will soon look like a junkyard.

This ordinance is up for discussion tomorrow night (Tuesday at 4:00 pm at the South Walton Courthouse Annex). Please come in support of these ordinance revisions.

Because of Florida’s Sunshine Laws, I am not aware of the other commissioner’s stand on this issue so please come voice your opinion to the other commissioners on the impact that these obstructions are having on everyone’s lives. Also, if you know of someone that would come and support these revisions, please feel free to forward this notice!

Before I took office, commissioners were quite eager to pass the “Scenic Corridor Standards”, a very long set of prescriptive regulations about what businesses along Highway 98 and County Road 30A can and cannot do in conducting business. The standards restrict or ban signage, construction, flags and just about every possible type of structure or item that was not deemed “scenic”.

This ordinance simply asks the county to take a tiny fraction of those rules for our roadways and implement or apply them to our coastline. Our coastline is recognized around the world as being truly scenic and worthy of preservation and conservation.

I may live in North Walton, however I raised my son on Eastern Lake, have grandchildren there now and as your commissioner, I represent all of Walton County. Again, please join me in taking a stand on this issue.

Finally, I am proud to take the lead on these revisions because it is the right thing to do! I need your help!!

God bless you and your family and thank you in advance,

Cecilia Jones

District 2 Commissioner

552 Walton Rd

DeFuniak Springs, FL 32433

Telephone (850) 892-4020

CJ/ecs

Please note: Florida has a very broad public records law. You should note that most written communications to or from County officials regarding County business are public records that are available to the public and media upon request. Your e-mail communications may therefore be subject to public disclosure.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Scenic Corridor? Are you kidding C. Jones?

Have you seen the crap all along the scenic corridor? Toilets on 393 S.? Flags all along 98?

Just another part of the Walton Two Step where the BCC will most likely pass this to appear as hero's, with no one to ENFORCE it.

But that's the two step. Put it off to WCSO and / or Code Enforcement to fumble around with it for the rest of Summer, before you know it, it will be November elections with nothing changed either way.

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Citizens should be allowed and expected to help keep the beaches clean of any and all manmade objects / litter.

If there is no enforcement, as @John G is constantly harping about, then we are free to do so without fear. But I could see an irate beachfront owner causing problems so maybe we should do it in numbers.

Can we start an official, sanctioned citizen task force to patrol and clean beaches? SoWal Beach Litter Patrol