• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I saw this eagle on Sunday. I assume it is one of the two which frequent this perch and have often been seen together overlooking Western Lake in Grayton Beach State Park on the north side of Scenic 30A. I assume the pair are mates. Let us know if you see any eagles.

121021-grayton-004.jpg

Bald eagles mate for life, but when one dies, the survivor will not hesitate to accept a new mate. During breeding season, both birds protect the nest territory from other eagles and predators.
http://www.baldeagleinfo.com/eagle/eagle4.html

Porkchop

Beach Comber
Nov 16, 2010
Blue Mountain Beach
Kurt, I saw a Bald on Friday afternoon over Blue Mountain Beach. Any idea where it nests? I'm just getting into birding photography. Any tips on nesting sites of eagles or ospreys that I can stake out with my new 400mm lens?

Thanks,

Bill

Jenksy

Beach Fanatic
Oct 25, 2012
Kurt, I saw a Bald on Friday afternoon over Blue Mountain Beach. Any idea where it nests? I'm just getting into birding photography. Any tips on nesting sites of eagles or ospreys that I can stake out with my new 400mm lens?

Thanks,

Bill

I think they are deep in the forests.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com

Thanks,

Bill

Sorry I'm no help. I don't know where any nests are. But happy hunting! Let's see some photos!

rmac

Beach Comber
Eastern Lake Sighting

My friend, Ted Missildine, called around mid-afternoon today to tell me that a couple of eagles had been spotted in the area of his home near Eastern Lake, and he asked if I was interested. Of course I was, so I grabbed my camera and telephoto lens and drove over there. When I arrived Ted pointed out two eagles sitting at the tops of adjacent pine trees about 200 yards from his house.

With camera in hand, the two let us get amazingly close. Not wanting to scare them away, I took the first few shots from the car, hand-holding the camera while Ted drove. Then, with a couple of keeper shots in the bag, I decided to get out of the car, hoping that they wouldn't spook. They sat there looking at us with curious, but penetrating eyes, while I set up my tripod and started snapping pictures.

Encouraged by their fearlessness, I tried relocating again for a better angle, but by now my two friends had gotten a little wary of that big "gun" that I was pointing toward them, and they left.

This was a beautiful afternoon, made perfect by the presence of these majestic birds.

Robert McCullar

Attachments

• 20121202_Eagle-1.jpg
    20121202_Eagle-1.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 202
  • 20121202_Eagle-2.jpg
    20121202_Eagle-2.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 201

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Great shots Robert - I haven't been able to get close at all. I tried a couple of years ago and they took off as soon as they saw me. Thanks for sharing. What a beautiful bird.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
I almost literally stumbled onto the "Eastern Lake" pair about 2 weeks ago walking the dog. One of them called, I looked up, and there they were, less than 100 feet away. One of the residents said they've been there off and on for several weeks.

In previous years, I have spotted one hanging out at Little Deer lake and have seen the same one soaring over 30A near Watersound. I suppose it's not impossible the same pair is at Western Lake some of the time, although I'd like to hope we've got two pair.

Yarmap

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Northeast Alabama
Eagles-2.jpgEagles-4.jpgHere are a couple of photos my nephew Chris Amaro from B'ham took at the corner of S.Gulf Dr. & Center St. by Eastern Lake the Monday before Thanksgiving. It looks like the same Trees as the previous pics. The second pic was just before the larger Eagle landed on the smaller ones back and ...............well I let you guess what happned next.