American Bald Eagle at Western Lake

Discussion in 'Photos and Videos' started by Kurt Lischka, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

I saw this eagle on Sunday. I assume it is one of the two which frequent this perch and have often been seen together overlooking Western Lake in Grayton Beach State Park on the north side of Scenic 30A. I assume the pair are mates. Let us know if you see any eagles.

121021-grayton-004.jpg

Bald eagles mate for life, but when one dies, the survivor will not hesitate to accept a new mate. During breeding season, both birds protect the nest territory from other eagles and predators.
    http://www.baldeagleinfo.com/eagle/eagle4.html

2. Porkchop

Porkchop Beach Comber

Kurt, I saw a Bald on Friday afternoon over Blue Mountain Beach. Any idea where it nests? I'm just getting into birding photography. Any tips on nesting sites of eagles or ospreys that I can stake out with my new 400mm lens?

Thanks,

Bill

3. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    Am I just gonna have to camp out at Western Lake to see one of these eagles? I can't count how many times we've driven through there searching for one.

4. Jenksy

Jenksy Beach Fanatic

I think they are deep in the forests.

5. Kurt Lischka

Sorry I'm no help. I don't know where any nests are. But happy hunting! Let's see some photos!

6. rmac

rmac Beach Comber

Eastern Lake Sighting

My friend, Ted Missildine, called around mid-afternoon today to tell me that a couple of eagles had been spotted in the area of his home near Eastern Lake, and he asked if I was interested. Of course I was, so I grabbed my camera and telephoto lens and drove over there. When I arrived Ted pointed out two eagles sitting at the tops of adjacent pine trees about 200 yards from his house.

With camera in hand, the two let us get amazingly close. Not wanting to scare them away, I took the first few shots from the car, hand-holding the camera while Ted drove. Then, with a couple of keeper shots in the bag, I decided to get out of the car, hoping that they wouldn't spook. They sat there looking at us with curious, but penetrating eyes, while I set up my tripod and started snapping pictures.

Encouraged by their fearlessness, I tried relocating again for a better angle, but by now my two friends had gotten a little wary of that big "gun" that I was pointing toward them, and they left.

This was a beautiful afternoon, made perfect by the presence of these majestic birds.

Robert McCullar

Attached Files:

7. Kurt Lischka

Great shots Robert - I haven't been able to get close at all. I tried a couple of years ago and they took off as soon as they saw me. Thanks for sharing. What a beautiful bird.

8. Beach Runner

Argh! I am so frustrated that as many times as we've looked for them (as recently as yesterday), we've never seen them. Thanks for the photos.

9. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Beach Fanatic

I almost literally stumbled onto the "Eastern Lake" pair about 2 weeks ago walking the dog. One of them called, I looked up, and there they were, less than 100 feet away. One of the residents said they've been there off and on for several weeks.

In previous years, I have spotted one hanging out at Little Deer lake and have seen the same one soaring over 30A near Watersound. I suppose it's not impossible the same pair is at Western Lake some of the time, although I'd like to hope we've got two pair.

10. Yarmap

Yarmap Beach Fanatic

Eagles-2.jpg Eagles-4.jpg Here are a couple of photos my nephew Chris Amaro from B'ham took at the corner of S.Gulf Dr. & Center St. by Eastern Lake the Monday before Thanksgiving. It looks like the same Trees as the previous pics. The second pic was just before the larger Eagle landed on the smaller ones back and ...............well I let you guess what happned next.

11. Beach Runner

Okay, rub it in. Just kidding. Like I've said, I can't tell you how many times I've searched for an eagle on Western Lake. Like maybe 25 times in the past year? Thanks for the photos.

12. Yarmap

Yarmap Beach Fanatic

Here are a few more pics. We watched them for about 15 minutes. They were paying more attention to each other than us. They were only about 50 feet of the road in the top of the dead pine trees. Eagles-8.jpg Eagles-3.jpg Eagles.jpg

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  13. Kurt Lischka