• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
40233517_10216962181316625_9027178978745516032_n.jpg

It's shake and bake Cecilia Jones... and I helped!!

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
Looking at the numbers in the district 4 race, the margins were a lot closer in the south districts. 63% to 37% in Chautauqua was the closest it got in the north end. Whereas 51% to 49% in Rosemary was the closest it got in the south end. Fletcher got 45% of the vote in the southern districts and only 26% in the northern districts. The final numbers seem large but it’s not quite the blowout it seemed to be. This appears to show a clear divide. The turnout was pretty close, of the 10,901 votes cast 5,802 were north of the bay, 5,099 were south a difference of 703 voters. Interesting to note the 43 people that voted in the district 4 race and not the district 2 race.
Precincts - Election Night Reporting

Stats Compliments of Jeff Talbert's post

Emerald Drifter

Beach Fanatic
Jun 8, 2018
Santa Rosa Beach
It seems the voter rolls are increasing in numbers South of the Bay. No surprise if you run up and down 98 (even now after season), right? Hopefully, with the way BCC Commishes are elected, this increase in numbers will force candidates to consider and listen to what the Southies want and need and stop looking at the beaches area as only a money making cash cow. TREASURE THE BEACHES.

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
Glidewell, Nick win Walton Commission seats

TOM McLAUGHLIN @TomMnwfdn
Aug 28, 2018 at 7:12 PM
Aug 28, 2018 at 10:00 PM

Incumbent Cecilia Jones falls short of re-election.

The Walton County Commission will welcome two new board members in January as Danny Glidewell routed incumbent Cecilia Jones in Tuesday’s Republican primary.

Local restaurateur Trey Nick also won by a wide margin by defeating local businessman Bill Fletcher.

Both Glidewell and Nick technically still face November election battles with write-in candidates. Michael Burke is slated to face Glidewell and Barbara Brooke to face Nick. Neither Burke nor Brooke has raised any money for a campaign. Their candidacies served to prevent anyone but Republicans from participating in Tuesday’s election.

Glidewell emerged victorious by a nearly 1,300-vote margin to secure 56 percent of the voting tally to Jones’ 44 percent. He did so despite being outspent by a three-to-one margin and attacked by Tallahassee-based political action groups who spent thousands on negative advertising.

“I thought it would be closer because of the amount of money that has been spent,” Glidewell said. “I’m grateful the people saw through it.”

Glidewell appeared to have won many South Walton precincts that he had lost badly to Jones in 2014, when both ran against then-District 2 incumbent Kenneth Pridgen. But the new commissioner also did very well in North Walton County, where he has resided for 56 years.

He said he believes north county voters took special offense to the personal attacks he suffered.

“I’ve lived here all my life. People, especially in the north end, know me,” he said. “When somebody calls me ‘Scary Danny,’ people know better.”

The Nick-Fletcher race played out much better for the big money candidate. Nick, owner of Nick’s Seafood Restaurant in Basin Bayou, was able to put $67,000 into his race while Fletcher spent about $25,000.

Nick did not return phone calls Tuesday seeking comment, but an obviously upset Fletcher also grumbled about the dollars spent by outside groups on negative advertising. It’s a phenomenon that has plagued Walton County Commission races during the last two election cycles.

Unofficial results show Nick receiving 65 percent, or 7,110 of the county’s votes, while roughly 35 percent, or 3,738, went to Fletcher.

Glidewell said it is his intention as the District 2 commissioner to represent the North County. He said he wants to focus attention on bringing high quality jobs to the areas of Paxton, DeFuniak Springs and Freeport.

“I want to start exploring putting a sports complex in the north part of the county for economic development, and I want to see the TDC operating countywide, promoting the entire county and bringing the county together.”

Glidewell said he sees South Walton needs as well that need addressing.

“We’ve got to get a handle on infrastructure, and we’ve got to work on beach access and parking,” he said.

Jones did not return a phone call seeking comment.

Tuesday’s defeat marks the second time Jones has lost a county commission bid after serving a four-year term.

She was elected for the first time in 2008 when she ran for the South Walton District 5 seat vacated by Cindy Meadows, Walton County’s first female commissioner. Meadows had stepped aside due to health issues.

In 2012 Meadows challenged Jones in District 5 and by a margin of a mere 152 votes regained the seat.

Two years later, though, Jones moved to District 2 and faced off against Pridgen and Glidewell. Glidewell on Tuesday avenged his loss to her in 2014 election.

Walton Sun reporter Nathan Cobb contributed to this report.
AR-180828288.jpg&MaxH=200&MaxW=200

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Congrats Danny! I believe your consistent posting here has made the difference this time. People got to know you and liked what they saw.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
Congrats Danny! I believe your consistent posting here has made the difference this time. People got to know you and liked what they saw.
Danny, please give the locals a “fair shake” against the Mafia Beach Vendors now that their Commissioners seat is GONE.....over the years here on Forum you have indicated you displeasure with Vendor control.....We Voted!You Deliver!

30ASRBeachBum

Beach Comber
Jan 13, 2017
30A
Congratulations Danny. I am so glad to see that the moronic mailings that the your opponent's handlers sent out backfired. I would have loved to be in the dev meeting when some idiot said "Yeah, we'll add lots of flames and bold the word DANGEROUS. Those dumb locals will eat that s**t up!". I'm happy to see that their cynical opinion of Walton County voters (hopefully) no longer works for them.

Now the work begins. The beach chair mafia is completely out of control. We are all (rightfully) focused on customary use, but the low hanging fruit is the beach chair situation - particularly the practice of setting up all the chairs long before the customer comes down to use them. The tourist is renting a CHAIR, not the sand. Simply stopping the vendors from believing that they can reserve spots on the beach for customers that may or may not show up will solve a lot of problems.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
I think I am going to start going to random walkovers and asking these vendors have a setup available right then and see just how many of them have illegal "ghost setups" that are taking up space.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
Please pick up all signs winners and losers and don't pretend you need to litter up the county until the general... Game is over do the right thing and clean up!