• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SoWal Staff

Serving the Community!
Staff member
Apr 14, 2006
South Walon, FL
SoWal.com
New on the SoWal Events Calendar...

Come hear Angela Duckworth speak on Grit at Seaside Assembly Hall on Thursday, March 24 at 4:30pm. Complimentary and open to the public. The Assembly Hall is located on Smolian Cir. across the Lyceum Lawn from the Seaside Neighborhood School.

The Seaside Institute is proud to present pioneering psychologist -- and recipient of the prestigious MacArthur Foundation "genius grant" -- Angela Duckworth to speak about her theory of Grit as a key predictor of success.

Sharing new insights from her landmark research and forthcoming book, Duckworth's presentation on Grit -- the tendency to pursue long-term goals with perseverance and passion -- is complimentary and open to the public next Thursday at the Seaside Assembly Hall.

Duckworth will demonstrate how discipline, willingness to defer gratification, and drive are crucial to achieving a successful life, and what separates "gritty" individuals from others. Using examples from the National Spelling Bee, West Point, Chicago Public Schools and more, Duckworth demonstrates how her studies have shown Grit is the most reliable predictor of performance and success. Her presentation concludes with a summary of her own insights on how to develop Grit.

This event is sure to appeal to parents, educators, athletes, students, business professionals or anyone striving to cultivate Grit in themselves or in others.

Angela Duckworth TED Talk. She explains her theory of "grit" as a predictor of success.

Seaside Institute is our center for learning and discovery in Seaside, Florida. Read more about Seaside Institute programs coming up in 2016 at seasideinstitute.org. Follow Seaside Institute on Facebook for updates on programs, visiting architects, writers, artists and speakers from many disciplines.

seaside institute angela duckworth talk grit.png

Learn More:
Seaside Institute
Seaside Merchants
Town:
Seaside
184 Smolian Circle
Seaside , FL 32459
See map: Google Maps

Last edited by a moderator:

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Wow! I'd definitely go if I was going to be in SoWal at that time. She's is a very influential researcher in psychology and I think every parent should know her research about grit (because it would help their children in life), one of the most significant predictors of success. (along with the research of Carol Dweck about having a growth mindset, which Duckworth often refers to in her research and presentations). Many parents focus on grades (and getting high grades) in ways that can backfire on their children later in life, whereas building grit and a growth mindset are some of the most significant predictors of success (and I suspect with less anxiety, too). Duckworth is an engaging speaker.