• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

artishope

Beach Comber
Sep 17, 2009
Please pardon my frustrations. I love this place- yet this abandonment of pets is Maddening!!!

I realize that we have two animal shelters, Walton County and Alaqua. If most people knew how many animals end up abandon by their owners we might see better solutions to the needless killing of many animals whose owners up and decide they no longer wish to be responsible.

Just is so wrong for owners to decide they don't want to be troubled- I know it's not always the case but from conversations I know too many are not caring for their pets and choosing to "dump" them for very poor reasons.

Now how can we stop 20 dogs a week from being killed at Walton County Animal Control? God knows how many cats etc. Alaqua is full or selective so space usually not there. We need a better option. More adoptions? Please explain what is/can be done!!
Ideas?

Thank you...

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Please pardon my frustrations. I love this place- yet this abandonment of pets is Maddening!!!

I realize that we have two animal shelters, Walton County and Alaqua. If most people knew how many animals end up abandon by their owners we might see better solutions to the needless killing of many animals whose owners up and decide they no longer wish to be responsible.

Just is so wrong for owners to decide they don't want to be troubled- I know it's not always the case but from conversations I know too many are not caring for their pets and choosing to "dump" them for very poor reasons.

Now how can we stop 20 dogs a week from being killed at Walton County Animal Control? God knows how many cats etc. Alaqua is full or selective so space usually not there. We need a better option. More adoptions? Please explain what is/can be done!!
Ideas?

Thank you...

This is going to sound terrible but I think sometimes destroying the animals in a humane manner is an underutilized option. People are hammered with adoption requests for pit bull and chow mixes and the feral cats...I think there should be an aggresive campaign against the cats. They are a nuisance, potential health risk to humans and pets and destroy our native small animal population. The pit bulls and mixes are the result of trashy folks who for whatever reason prize these animals, which can be dangerous and breeed the hell out of them to make a buck, fight or whatever. I wonder if people realize that having a chow/pit bull/German shephard mix makes it difficult if not impossible to get homeowner's insurance?

There is no easy answer, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that we have an epidemic of unwanted animals...better to cull the ones that are potentially dangerous and focus on adopting out the 'nice' ones that make good family pets. It sounds harsh, but the current model of trying to feed/house/adopt out every single animal is not working.

artishope

Beach Comber
Sep 17, 2009
I understand your view- and I don't want to promote or support people breeding etc animals that harm others. We hopefully have laws that hold those folks responsible? I think many many animals are simply tossed or neglected- Too much trouble...whatever the case.
I think someway to make vet care or free spade/neuter wld help. I know folks here are doing allot -just maybe need more creative approach.

The economy is in bad shape people may be impacted. I really feel their has got to be someway to re-home more and reduce pet neglect - make petcare more affordable?

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
There are such programs - people just do not utilize them. The result is more unwanted puppies and kittens.

IMO lots of people will be going to hell for the callous way they treat their pets.

I agree with Skunky - until we get these populations under control euthanasia is sadly the best option.

buster

Beach Fanatic
Feb 19, 2006
SoWal
I love animals. When you figure out a way to keep people from having unwanted humans then get back to me. Humans have a long way to go.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I am working on the unwanted humans thing too, but the damn "abstinence only" folks are really hampering my efforts.

And don't get me started on the ones who took to the courts to keep a private donor from paying for women who already had kids to be sterilized if they chose.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I love animals. When you figure out a way to keep people from having unwanted humans then get back to me. Humans have a long way to go.

It's called sex education, family planning, birth control- it works if enough people have easy access to it. ;)

artishope

Beach Comber
Sep 17, 2009
Please post programs you said we already have! I think affordable pet care in general, spade/neutering, etc
Would help bigtime!

Red Dawg

Beach Lover
Feb 14, 2008
SoWal
This is going to sound terrible but I think sometimes destroying the animals in a humane manner is an underutilized option. People are hammered with adoption requests for pit bull and chow mixes and the feral cats...I think there should be an aggresive campaign against the cats. They are a nuisance, potential health risk to humans and pets and destroy our native small animal population. The pit bulls and mixes are the result of trashy folks who for whatever reason prize these animals, which can be dangerous and breeed the hell out of them to make a buck, fight or whatever. I wonder if people realize that having a chow/pit bull/German shephard mix makes it difficult if not impossible to get homeowner's insurance?

There is no easy answer, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that we have an epidemic of unwanted animals...better to cull the ones that are potentially dangerous and focus on adopting out the 'nice' ones that make good family pets. It sounds harsh, but the current model of trying to feed/house/adopt out every single animal is not working.

Hello

Do not appreciate the trashy comment. All breeds have bad owners. As you can see from my picture I am an American Pit Bull Terrier. I have owned APBT's for over 30 years and have seen all types of owners. Do not judge unless you know the breed. A bad APBT does not represent the nature of the breed, just the nature of the owner.