• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Lisa C

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Apr 16, 2011
Santa Rosa Beach
Just received this information and wanted to share.

Please join us for our Annual State Forest Liaison meeting on November 30, 2016 @ 6 p.m. This will occur at the Panama City Beach City Hall (110 South Arnold Road Panama City Beach, Florida).

Our Foresters will present the management activities accomplished for Point Washington State Forest and Pine Log State Forest during the 2015-2016 fiscal year. We will also provide information on activities scheduled for this year and discuss any necessary topics concerning our State Forests in the Chipola District.

Mike Mathis
Forestry Operations Admistrator
Florida Forest Service
Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services
(850) 691-0812 Office

Low Brow

Beach Lover
Jan 13, 2014
I hate that I missed this. Is there any minutes/highlights/briefings posted?

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I'm not going to get goaded into a crap fest like we have in the Lounge. What happened over there was a disgrace. There was no tree management of any kind. It's like a bomb went off back there.

Take selected trees. Replant the resource. Repeat in a few years time.

They left nothing.

Not saying it's right or wrong. I'm just saying it's shameful.

Last edited:

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
It's a wasteland and there is still a bunch of timber laying around. The trail has been destroyed. I know they're supposed to replant soon, but it's pretty bad. Hope they have a plan to get things back on track soon.

Conn006

Beach Lover
Feb 5, 2016
Will I said the same thing a few months back and got ripped on here as well by someone asking me if I had missed Forest Management class.

It looks horrific, like a wasteland! I may not have taken Forest Mgt classes but they just cut timber down and left it to rot without new plantings that I see.

Im curious if there is a plan in place too.

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Will I said the same thing a few months back and got ripped on here as well by someone asking me if I had missed Forest Management class.

It looks horrific, like a wasteland! I may not have taken Forest Mgt classes but they just cut timber down and left it to rot without new plantings that I see.

Im curious if there is a plan in place too.

Thanks...we have had our house in SRB for 50 years. During that time, St. Joe Paper Co came in three or four times and took out timber. They never did that to the forrest, though. At no point was it ever clear cut.

Low Brow

Beach Lover
Jan 13, 2014
They typically plant in the winter. So I would say the replant is soon. I do not believe they have root raked so they still need to go through it and row it before planting.

This was done with grant money to remove and replant with long needle pines.