• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SoWalSally

Beach Fanatic
Feb 19, 2005
Forest View Village approved contingent on land use change

The Walton County Commission has approved another residential and commercial development for the eastern end of south Walton County.
Forest View Village is planned for 91 acres north of U.S. Highway 98 about 3.3 miles east of County Road 395.
However, there?s a chance the project won?t become a reality because the commission gave its approval contingent upon a land-use change that must be approved by the state.
APB Development Inc. in Santa Rosa Beach has asked to change the landuse designation on the 91 acres from ?large-scale agricultural? to ?coastal center,? which provides for enough density to build the project.
The county has approved the land-use change request and has forwarded it to the Department of Community Affairs for review.
If the state agency doesn?t approve the request, then the development can?t move forward.
Depending on what feedback the state gives the county, the state could take 30 to 60 days to make a decision on the land-use change, said county planner Tita Sokoloff.
?(The request) has been submitted,? she said.
Plans for Forest View Village include 468 single-family homes, 64 live/work units and 160,000 square feet of commercial space. The live/work units will have first-floor commercial or retail spaces, with living spaces above.
The property has already been cleared and is currently used by Regional Utilities as a spray field.
Although it?s not a common practice to approve projects before land-use changes are made official, it is something the commission can do at its discretion, Jones said.
?We did quite a bit of research on it to make sure we could do it,? he said.
With most land-use changes, the county doesn?t know what development may go up, he added.
?It gives us some protection because we know what?s going to be there,? he said.

FoX

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
off the beach
www.thesimpsons.com
That sounds a lot bigger than Seaside. That is a lot of commercial space. It sounds like more and more developments are geared toward permanent residents, especially without a golf course or water access that would make it more attractive as second homes. Looks like the future of SoWal.

Buckhead Rick

Beach Lover
Feb 15, 2005
Can someone fill me in on the lastest rumors regarding Pier Place and Simon Realty's supposed purchase of part for a "Destin Commons" development. That would make any development along that part of 98 interesting. Say what you want about crowds but new buyers like infrastructure

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
beachmouse said:
Pier Park in PCB always was supposed to contain a big shopping center. IIRC, the original plan was for a Silver Sands style outlet mall.

I remember that Pier Park stopped the shopping when they lost their anchor store, Bass Pro Shops, to Peter Boss, Developer of Destin Commons.

FoX

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
off the beach
www.thesimpsons.com
Smiling JOe said:
I remember that Pier Park stopped the shopping when they lost their anchor store, Bass Pro Shops, to Peter Boss, Developer of Destin Commons.

Yes but Pier Park picked up Thong Depot, Tattoo World, Bong Heaven, and a Tub 'O' Lard drive through, so they'll be fine.

seagrovelover

little sugar
Jan 12, 2005
St Louis Missouri
FoX said:
Yes but Pier Park picked up Thong Depot, Tattoo World, Bong Heaven, and a Tub 'O' Lard drive through, so they'll be fine.

Ok fox....that made me LOL!!!!!! :rotfl: you are so right :clap_1:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I heard that Pier Park was also going to have PCB's largest branch of Ms. Newbies drive thru Lounge and Liquor Store.