1. Trouble logging in? Send a message with your username & email address for help.
    Dismiss Notice

Any Private Pilots Out There?

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by Mermaid, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Mermaid

Mermaid picky

My husband flies a Cessna 172. We'll be making a few trips down to the beach this year so he thought it would be a good idea to get checked out so he could start flying in Florida.

Does anyone have a preference for local airports renting small planes like the 172?

2. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    I'll ask my sister. They usually charter a private plane when they come down from Dallas to their home in Seagrove so that they can bring their dogs. (Our brother works for Delta, and he says that you shouldn't fly your pets on a commercial carrier unless you have absolutely no other alternative.)

3. Mermaid

Mermaid picky

Thanks Beach Runner. I can't wait for my husband to take me up and fly over the coastline! (And if we ever go broke on the beach, he can always hire himself out to pull those "EAT AT JOE'S" banners. :floor: )

4. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

2 for 1 at THE TRACK....9-12! It would be nice scenery while at work!

5. ktmeadows

ktmeadows Beach Fanatic

Be prepared...we flew over the beach from Panama City to Fort Walton in a Beech Musketeer a few years ago and were amazed at how many sharks we saw, seemingly so close to the swimmers :eek:

It's definitely a great way to get an awesome view of SoWal. :wub:

Have fun!!

6. Cil

Cil Beach Fanatic

My younger son is very interested in learning to fly. He has had three lessons here, but then we told him we wanted him to concentrate on getting a driver's license, which he finally will do next week.
    He wants to be a commercial pilot, which we are not crazy about for a variety of reasons. But he persists. Anyway, we were wondering about flight schools out there.

7. Mermaid

Mermaid picky

SHARKS? Well, that should keep me awake. I hate to say but most of the times we go flying I fall asleep in five minutes flat. My husand gets so insulted! When you think of it, though, the drone of the engine, the sun beaming down on you a thousand or so feet closer than it usually does...it's a natural thing to doze off! :oops: But shark sightings might do the trick.

Cil, my daughter wants to learn how to fly, too, but like your son, she's still working on getting her driver's license. I actually think she might be a better pilot than a driver, so I'm encouraging her. This was a scene from yesterday's driving episode:

Daughter: At the wheel, at a red light, wanting to turn Left. Saying "...can I make a left turn on red?"

Mother: In passenger seat, trying not to have heart attack. Saying "...don't move! don't move!"

Daughter: Nonplussed. Saying "...don't worry Mama, I was only thinking out loud."

If this is what she's thinking when she's thinking out loud, what is she thinking when I can't hear her???????

I'm thinking she might be safer in the wide blue skies where there are no traffic lights, that's what I'm thinking. :eek: :eek: :eek: :floor:

8. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

I am laughing at the memories you have stirred...my daughter was such a drama queen (gets it from me) when learning to drive...."Can I turn?, What do I do?",etc. The best was at first how she hugged the curb in the right lane and kept scraping my tires...it's also thrilling to be in the passenger seat at the time this is happening!!! Best was learning how to back up, parallel park and park in a parking spot. I could not explain to her how to back up!!! We had to change seats so I could help her! Fun times!

9. Mermaid

Mermaid picky

Ha! I can top you! "We had to change seats..." I'm a really bad driver so it didn't work when WE changed seats. I had to run into the house and get my son, who extricated the car from the tricky spot his sister had driven it into. Obviously, mother and daughter have no talent for spacial judgements. :bang:

That's why I think my daughter would be a beautiful flyer. No parking spaces or red lights to deal with. And planes are big enough to see so she could easily dodge them. :rolling:

10. Rita

Rita margarita brocolia

These are funny stories! :lol:

Guess I won't be laughing in a couple years though! We'll have to hire an instructor or my daughter & I would :whack:

11. Mermaid

Mermaid picky

Rita! Of course you have to hire an instructor! But what they don't tell you is that you have to drive with your kid hundreds of hours before you let them get their license! And then there's all the dents they put in your car while they're fresh drivers. :eek:

Dents run in our family, though, so we take it all in stride. My husband crashed a plane when he learning how to fly. And then the owner traumatized the poor guy even further by suing him over it! :nono1:

12. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

Mermaid's right....it's another thing they don't tell you before you get pregnant!!!!

13. Rita

Rita margarita brocolia

:lolabove:

Thanks a lot you guys! :doh: Hadn't thought of that.

14. Cil

Cil Beach Fanatic

Holy cow. Bad enough to crash a car, having a crashed plane is stress I don't need. Mermaid, has your daughter had any flying lessons? I went up for the first lesson and basically left my stomach back at the airport. I am glad I stayed on the ground the time they practiced stalls.

And yes, there are plenty of hours of driving with the kids whether or not they have instructors. There must be a special place in heaven for driving instructors, I don't know how they do it.

15. Mermaid

Mermaid picky

Sueshore, that's a topic better left for The Lounge. :cool: :lolabove: :eek: