• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ricklys

Beach Lover
Dec 17, 2008
Rosemary Beach
Hubby found this snake in our driveway Monday - it is about 3 feet long.

Attachments

• Ralph's snake 1.jpg
    Ralph's snake 1.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 241
  • Ralph's snake 2.jpg
    Ralph's snake 2.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 238

SlowMovin

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Corn snake. Harmless.

A few years back, my wife & I found a pile of poop with something white on it in the living room. Kinda like a dollop of cream cheese on a pile of spinach.

We have three dogs living in the house, so we just chalked it up to one of them being a "bad dog," yelled at them a little, cleaned it up and forgot about it.

About two months later we found the same thing. Actually, "we" didn't find it--the dogs did. All three of them gathered around, sniffing and not one of them acted guilty when we yelled at them.

So I did a little research--which involved looking at far more pictures of various animal poop than I care to recall. At the end of my study session, I got in the truck, drove over to Danny Copeland's and bought a box of shot shells in .22 cal. I came home and loaded them into an old Ruger Bearcat my father gave me when I was about 12 years old.

That night I drank a cup of coffee, went to bed and stayed awake all night waiting.

Around 1:30 in the morning I heard one of the dogs start that low growl they do when they see something they don't like. A minute later another dog started in.

I got up, grabbed the gun and went out into the living room. Right in the middle of the floor--coiled up with one of the dogs facing him down (who got brave enough to start barking once he saw I had his back)--was a snake about three feet long.

As soon as I came into the room he headed for the couch. I could not make out the species but I figured I'd rather not have him living in the couch with us for another month, so I took the shot.

Turned out to be a corn snake. Harmless. I felt bad about it, but I really didn't want him in the house with us (plus my wife about had a cow when she found out...actually, that would have been TWO cows, because being woke up by a gunshot in the living room in the middle of the night didn't make her too happy).

We did get the floor repaired. The dogs (and we) sleep much better now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
gunshot in the middle of the night...always annoying...