• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Probably some of y'all have seen Saveur (foodie 'zine) at the newstands. I received a couple free issues and it's pretty good though I prefer Cook's Illustrated.
Anyway I would post a link but I could not find the story in the online edition.
There is supposed to be a list of favorite foodie towns with a brief but detailed tribute to Apalach, mentioning good ole Papa Joe's Oyster Bar & Grill as well as Seafood-2-Go (check out their grouper dip!). They even managed to find out something I happily learned when I first moved here: the Apalach Piggly Wiggly has a wonderful reasonably priced wine selection.
The other foodie towns were:
Burlington, Vermont
Ashland, Oregon
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Lawrence, Kansas

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
I like that magazine. I have gotten some very good recipes from it.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Probably some of y'all have seen Saveur (foodie 'zine) at the newstands. I received a couple free issues and it's pretty good though I prefer Cook's Illustrated.
Anyway I would post a link but I could not find the story in the online edition.
There is supposed to be a list of favorite foodie towns with a brief but detailed tribute to Apalach, mentioning good ole Papa Joe's Oyster Bar & Grill as well as Seafood-2-Go (check out their grouper dip!). They even managed to find out something I happily learned when I first moved here: the Apalach Piggly Wiggly has a wonderful reasonably priced wine selection.
The other foodie towns were:
Burlington, Vermont
Ashland, Oregon
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Lawrence, Kansas

I adore cook's illustrated!

last time we were over that way the Apalach Piggly Wiggly was a great place to pick up groceries!!! but I don't remember them having wine at all. we didn't see it, and went to the liquor store down the road instead...

Lawrence, Kansas:rotfl:

heh
I am sure the editors searched for geographical diversity.
I *did* kinda wonder about that one myself, but then I remembered that Lawrence has the University of Kansas. I looked Lawrence up on Wikipedia, and it's location, Douglas County, is one of only two Democratic counties in the red state of Kansas, and the only county in that state to reject Kansas' amendment prohibiting gay marriage and civil unions.
Lawrence actually sounds like a heady mix of microbreweries, coffeehouses, farmer's markets and political activism. It reminds me a lot of Ft Collins, Colorado, another university town. Such places have all the good qualities of Berkeley, California or Boulder, Colorado, but are more affordable (and perhaps less hipper-than-thou.)
It all adds up to a good place to eat (and drink. ;-))

Tootsie
At the Apalach Piggly Wiggly, the wine/beer section is all the way on the east side of the store, off the dairy/eggs cooler, kind of tucked into a corner, however it's a fairly extensive selection. Yesterday I picked up a sixpack of Tennant's (Scottish lager.)
Also, if you end up on 30A over here on my side, at Simmons Bayou there is a new, competitively-priced liquor store called TripleTail's. They have a seafood next door, too. I know this isn't very exciting for you SoWallers, but in our very rural neck of the woods, it's a big deal. ;-)

Last edited:

Uncle Timmy

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Blue Mountain Beach
I am seriously craving some Appalachicola oysters right now.........

Franny

Beach Fanatic
Mar 27, 2005
Pt. Washington
I happen to love your neck of the woods Cil. That is what I remember as a child coming to the beach.:love: We love our weekend trips to Apalach! Have not beem in awhile and the cooler weather makes me want to pack up and goooo!

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I want to do a trip over to Cil's neck of the woods. Can we day trip, or is it an overnight excursion? I want to see the area since she has posted such wonderful descriptions. And of course I can't wait to meet Cil!