• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

peapod1980

percy
Oct 3, 2005
Up the hill from the Gateway Arch
I need a suggestion for a yummy appetizer suitable for this hot weather--meaning, don't want to heat up the kitchen cooking it, and it would be an added bonus if it were something kind of "refreshing."

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
peapod1980 said:
I need a suggestion for a yummy appetizer suitable for this hot weather--meaning, don't want to heat up the kitchen cooking it, and it would be an added bonus if it were something kind of "refreshing."

What about Hummus?

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
peapod1980 said:

just make margaritas and forget it;-) :blink:

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
yippie said:
What about Hummus?

Oh, I love the Sabra hummus varieties in the red and clear containers at Publix. I have become addicted. I gained too much weight last month :eek: partly due to the chip and hummus factor, so I switched to carrot sticks. Just as good. :clap_1: No cooking. Even better!

peapod1980

percy
Oct 3, 2005
Up the hill from the Gateway Arch
yippie said:
What about Hummus?
Yeah, hummus makes my short list, definitely. I was actually thinking of trying a new recipe I found recently for black bean hummus.
IBD, it's to go with cocktails, so I was looking for something more savory. Good suggestion, though!

Lemon Shrimp

1 pound medium shrimp
4 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 teaspoon dried tarragon (or 2 teaspoons fresh), optional
Pinch of red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper, to taste
6 tablespoons olive oil
3 large garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 lemon, sliced thinly

Cook shrimp in salted boiling water for 1 minute. Drain, peel, and devein. Whisk together the lemon juice, fennel, tarragon, red pepper, salt, pepper, and oil. Stir in shrimp, garlic. Marinate at least 6 hours. Garnish with sliced lemon. Serves 8 as an appetizer.

lindatat

quirty
Jul 14, 2005
Too far from the beach (Chicago 'Burbs)
For a refreshing summertime appetizer, fill bite-size cherry tomatoes, round or pear shaped, with a mixture of savory fillings.

24 cherry tomatoes (can use a mixture of red and yellow tomatoes)

Cut a small portion off the bottoms of each tomato so they will sit on a try without rolling. slice off the tops of each tomatoes and scoop out centers with the small end of a melon scope to make a hollow yet sturdy shell; discard centers. TIP: Turn cherry tomatoes upside down and use the bottom for the top when stuffing. This keeps them standing straight.

Invert tomatoes onto damp paper towels and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until ready to fill.

Using a small spoon, fill each tomato with about 1 teaspoon of the filling of your choice. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Remove from refrigerator 15 minutes before serving.

Goat Cheese Filling:
1/4 pound fresh goat cheese

1/4 cup minced fresh basil
leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

In a bowl, combine the cheese, basil, salt, and pepper. Mix with a fork until well blended.

Mozzarella Cheese Filling:
2 teaspoons pine nuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
4 ounces fresh soft Mozzarella Cheese

2 tablespoon chopped oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
1 teaspoon pine nuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
1 teaspoon chopped fresh chives
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place pine nuts on a baking sheet; bake for 10 minutes or until a light golden brown. In a bowl, combine mozzarella cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, pine nuts, and chives. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Creamy Shrimp Filling:
1/4 pound cooked shrimp
- peeled and deveined
1/2 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice

Salt and pepper to taste

In a food processor, mix the shrimp, cream cheese, mayonnaise, Parmesan cheese, horseradish, and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Blend until smooth.

Crab Filling:
1/2 pound cooked crabmeat, finely chopped
1/4 cup diced celery, very finely chopped
1 tablespoon cashew nuts, chopped fine
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/8 teaspoon salt or to taste
1/2 teaspoon fresh tarragon, chopped (or 1/4 tsp. dried)
1/2 to 1 tablespoon mayonnaise

In a bowl, combine crabmeat, celery, cashew nuts, Worcestershire sauce, salt, tarragon, and mayonnaise (use just enough mayonnaise to moisten and hold ingredients together).

shakennotstirred

Beach Fanatic
Jan 5, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
Mozzarella Cheese Filling:
2 teaspoons pine nuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
4 ounces fresh soft Mozzarella Cheese

2 tablespoon chopped oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
1 teaspoon pine nuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
1 teaspoon chopped fresh chives
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place pine nuts on a baking sheet; bake for 10 minutes or until a light golden brown. In a bowl, combine mozzarella cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, pine nuts, and chives. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

These recipes sound yummy! Thanks for posting. Question on the Mozzarella Cheese Filling - is it 1 or 2 tsps of pine nuts?