• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

gmarc

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2009
people are crazy to rent long term. I rent my home only during the hige seaons of spring and summer and can make as much in 10-12 weeks as i can rent it year round and i save 10 months of wear and tear on the home. i have no desire to be in sowal during the hot summer months so it works out great

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
Neither are the pay rates.
But, even with a comparable job, one still can not afford to be in the City. People have to move further North. Even then, people are competing with many other renters now because previous homeowners are now renters.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
people are crazy to rent long term. I rent my home only during the hige seaons of spring and summer and can make as much in 10-12 weeks as i can rent it year round and i save 10 months of wear and tear on the home. i have no desire to be in sowal during the hot summer months so it works out great

And this is why long term rentals are scarce and more expensive.

Less hassle, more money - really can't blame owners for choosing that option.

I also question the reasoning that says a person making $10 an hour is the sole income for a family that is renting a 2-3 bedroom house.

Exactly. Plus then we get to use the house in the off-season when it's not so hot. We've gotten so spoiled by being here in the off-season that we don't even go to the beach in the summer except in the late afternoon (in the early AM we're snoozing) because it's too hot.

slcooper1949

Beach Lover
Aug 27, 2007
I have to agree with you on the high rent..you just have to keep looking they are out there...Heck I paid 750. in Dallas for a very small one bed, and the utilities were at least 200. a month, and that is for a very very small one bedroom.. so let me tell you that isn't that bad, and you do get the beautiful Emerald Coast. Heck people here in Dallas get CEMENT to look at...good luck...I too am looking for a place in Oct...

I have a 3 bedroom for $1200, but I live in the hood that is N 393. I'd move in a heartbeat if I could find a decent rate around here. I am tired of the drug dealing, shootings (someone shot out the glass front door, next door to me, at 1am), cops 2 doors down on a weekly basis, fights, etc. Sad really.

In ATL I had a 2 bedroom apartment for under $1000. I also made about 25% more in salary. I am NOT in the service industry. It's difficult to live well here... but... I love it here... so I deal with it. I know quite a few people who trek it across the bridge from Freeport on a daily to be able to afford to live and work here. Good luck everyone!

aas03h

Beach Comber
Aug 16, 2009
If anyone is interested, we have 3 bedroom/2 bathroom apartments in quadplexes available for $1050/month-a comparative steal! You can check out our inventory at www.98rentals.com

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
So many previous homeowners are now renters, and it is very difficult for many to find what they need in a rental home, in a location they desire, much less at a reasonable rate. though I am sure deals are available. it is one of those situations where you have to know what becomes available and jump in and grab it quickly.