• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Landlocked

Beach Fanatic
May 16, 2005
Alabama
Debris

Kurt or anyone else,

There were three piles of Arlene debris on the beach at Dune Allen this past week. Do they leave that stuff there in hopes of creating new dunes or is that stuff going to be picked up by contractors? What was so crazy is that 90% of it was new, treated lumber and even some of that expensive synthetic lumber $$$$$.

FoX

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
off the beach
www.thesimpsons.com
Re: Debris

They are way too slow, having to go through appropriations, contracts, subs, etc. It will all be removed if not covered or washed away first.

Imagine you owned a restaurant and someone dumped 2 dumpsters full of rotten garbage in your parking lot and you waited a few months before cleaning it up. :roll:

Meanwhile you're the only restaurant around for 60 miles and people drove all the way to eat your food, and they didn't know about the garbage, and they're real hungry. So they go ahead and vomit on your doorstep and then come in and eat and then throw all their bones and plates on your floor - because after all, hey, you got garbage all around your place and they don't give a crap about your place since you don't either.

Ahhhh - but what if there's this thing called the internet and telephones and such and people start finding out about all your garbage and they stop driving to your place. Whatcha gonna do then. You got it. Make garbage pie and eat it too.

Pretty soon there's so much trash that it's everywhere and you can never pick it all up, so people start building on top of the trash. . . .

Point of the story - Walton County is pathetic. They should have the beaches cleaned up within 3 days of a storm.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004

Landlocked said:
Kurt or anyone else,

There were three piles of Arlene debris on the beach at Dune Allen this past week. Do they leave that stuff there in hopes of creating new dunes or is that stuff going to be picked up by contractors? What was so crazy is that 90% of it was new, treated lumber and even some of that expensive synthetic lumber $$$$$.
Not that I have the time, but I thought it would be cool to drive a trailer over and pick up all the wood debris, bring it home and use it to build recycled yard furniture. I could name each collection after the storm that brought it in.

Oldtimer

Beach Lover
Nov 16, 2004
Mississippi Bound

Smiling JOe said:
Not that I have the time, but I thought it would be cool to drive a trailer over and pick up all the wood debris, bring it home and use it to build recycled yard furniture. I could name each collection after the storm that brought it in.

I know you made the comment in jest, but that's just what my family did after Opal. My dad and other family members gathered good lumber that washed up in the marshes all around Western Lake and used it to rebuild out dock, doing the work themselves. Some nice trusses even washed up. Our dock was one of the only ones to survive Ivan with no damage at all. Knock on wood!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004

Oldtimer said:
I know you made the comment in jest, but that's just what my family did after Opal. My dad and other family members gathered good lumber that washed up in the marshes all around Western Lake and used it to rebuild out dock, doing the work themselves. Some nice trusses even washed up. Our dock was one of the only ones to survive Ivan with no damage at all. Knock on wood!

No, I was down right serious. The creative side in me says do it. I would probably not build more than I would use myself, but there is enough good materials out there to make some cool stuff for many people.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I'll bring a couple of hammers. Anyone have a cordless saw?
Let's build a REAL SoWal lounge. Arlene's Reggae Shack. :clap_1: :clap_1:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
kurt said:
I'll bring a couple of hammers. Anyone have a cordless saw?
Let's build a REAL SoWal lounge. Arlene's Reggae Shack. :clap_1: :clap_1:
I may have just talked myself into the new Front Lawn Arlene Collection '05.

Landlocked

Beach Fanatic
May 16, 2005
Alabama
I think that is how the FloraBama was built. Something drifts up on the beach, and they just nail it to the side of the building. Whatever works!