• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

CajunJimt

Beach Comber
Jul 11, 2005
Seagrove Beach
Has anyone had any success with getting rid of Armadillos from their property. We have a family of 4 (I think) which has taken residence underneath some steps in our back yard. Most damage is to flower beds and assorted holes in the sand.

Thanks

Gidget

Beach Fanatic
May 27, 2009
Blue Mtn Beach!!
GOOD LUCK!!! IMO, It just ain't possible! I lived in LA with armadillos and we had live traps and tried everything and they were still impossible to get rid of. As soon as we did trap and get rid of one and cart him off another would show up to take his place.

I was hoping there'd be very few dillos in BMB but alas, I guess I am not going to be that lucky. :sosad:

G

happy2Bme

Beach Fanatic
Sep 24, 2007
Sowal
when I was a kid, in South Florida, my mom would cook up one of them pesky rascals with a little white rice....filled the belly, and cut down on the population! (I think the word got around in the armadillo neighborhood that we liked them because they tasted like chicken, so we didn't have many hang around our place......)

Gidget

Beach Fanatic
May 27, 2009
Blue Mtn Beach!!
when I was a kid, in South Florida, my mom would cook up one of them pesky rascals with a little white rice....filled the belly, and cut down on the population! (I think the word got around in the armadillo neighborhood that we liked them because they tasted like chicken, so we didn't have many hang around our place......)

In Louisiana we called that Possum On The Half Shell :lol: :lol:

G

Mexican Armadillo Casserole

1 lb ground armadillo
~ 1 medium onion, chopped
~ 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro
~ 1 tsp cumin
~ 2 tbsp ground chili pepper
~ 2 cans diced green chilies
~ 1 can diced tomatoes
~ 1 can corn, drained
~ 1 cup diced zucchini
~ 2 cups shredded pepper-jack cheese
~ 1 box Jiffy cornbread mix

In a skillet, add the meat, onions and cilantro. Season with the cumin and chili pepper. Cook until brown. Drain fat if any.

Stir in the green chilies, tomatoes, corn and zucchini.

Pour into a casserole dish. Sprinkle on the cheese.

Prepare cornbread batter according to package. Pour over top of cheese.

Bake at 350 degrees for 50 - 60 minutes or until cornbread is golden brown.

Serve and enjoy!;-)

Gidget

Beach Fanatic
May 27, 2009
Blue Mtn Beach!!
Douglas - it would be hard for me to get past the following even though those spices etc... look great - lol there are armadillos recipes!

Although there has been some concern about humans contracting leprosy from wild armadillos, this is not a common occurrence. My understanding is that most instances of humans contracting leprosy from armadillos involve people who have eaten undercooked armadillo meat.

LOL Aggie! I imagine them to be pretty greasy and the leprosy thing is a huge negative!

G

Yes, leprosy is a small potential negative. lol ;) I have never eaten armadillo, though I consider myself very adventurous. I think I will pass now that you have enlightened me to that little tidbit of information. The idea of slowly rotting to death over years due to eating some undercooked armadillo meat is a little far even for me!

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc
This is plain gross. People really eat armadillos? Or, is it armadilloes?

Gidget

Beach Fanatic
May 27, 2009
Blue Mtn Beach!!
This is plain gross. People really eat armadillos? Or, is it armadilloes?

Like I said, the people in LA called it Possum on the Half Shell - possums are extremely greasy! But granny used to love possum stew!

I'd rather eat skunk cabbage any day over either of these animals!

Hey Lynnie and Douglas btw :wave: