• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Our Christmas tree, a Frasier fir, has been very sappy. This has never happened before. On Christmas Day daughter saw what she thought were eye-buggers from our black standard poodle under the tree. This morning when we got up, the floors and rugs were covered with bugs. I think they are spruce spider mites. We took down the tree ornaments, I dragged the 10' tree to the back door and pushed it over onto the patio. Big D couldn't help due to his back surgery. I vacuumed the floors and rugs and mopped the floors with Pine Sol.

Anyone have any experience with these? Here's a photo.

bugs.jpg

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc
Ooooh, gross. Kinda looks like a stink bug. Glad you got that tree outta there!

Diane4145

Beach Fanatic
Sep 3, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Ugh

Better get the vacuum cleaner cleaned out, or, at least out of the house!:blink: Hate to see the critters, coming out of the vacuum!
Our Christmas tree, a Frasier fir, has been very sappy. This has never happened before. On Christmas Day daughter saw what she thought were eye-buggers from our black standard poodle under the tree. This morning when we got up, the floors and rugs were covered with bugs. I think they are spruce spider mites. We took down the tree ornaments, I dragged the 10' tree to the back door and pushed it over onto the patio. Big D couldn't help due to his back surgery. I vacuumed the floors and rugs and mopped the floors with Pine Sol.

Anyone have any experience with these? Here's a photo.

bugs.jpg

tistheseason

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Thanks for giving me another reason to love our fake tree! It was our first year w/o a real tree and I'm compiling a list of all the reasons I love it -- so that next year, I can read it and will do the fake one again!!

Sarah Moss

Beach Lover
Apr 5, 2006
Black Creek
Where did you buy your tree? We have never seen these and we get a live tree every year. I hope we never see them in person either.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I would also wrap the tree in plastic bags or something to keep those things from getting into the trees on your property, at least until you find out what is going on and if they could cause a problem in your area.

Thanks for the advice, jdarg. I towed the tree to the street.

Big D reminded me that one of our acquaintances is an entymologist. She said that it is a Cinara aphid, common on conifers. They will not spread to the landscape. They will not hurt humans. Without a food source, chemical treatment is not necessary. If you really want chemical treatment, tell the Orkin guy to use the mildest product he has.... it will work on any soft bodied insect.

I might ask him to treat the vacuum cleaners. I hate to toss them.

Thanks for your help.:wave: