• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
Those were custom built? Sounds cheap for all of it custom.

Yes, that would be very cheap. My adder from a standard non-impact window to an impact rated window alone is more than $17 a foot. Never mind the cost of the standard window.

You can get cheaper windows for sure. If you want a high quality wood window like what is required in neighborhoods like Rosemary Beach, you will pay significantly more. Part of the point there is to keep the resale and the value up in the neighborhood.

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
Duh! :doh: Just dawned on me that John must be seeing who he could trip up. You don't find the cost of the windows by dividing by the square foot of the home. How much the windows cost by that formula depends entirely on how many windows go into the home.
Nice try though....had me for a bit.

Duh! :doh: Just dawned on me that John must be seeing who he could trip up. You don't find the cost of the windows by dividing by the square foot of the home. How much the windows cost by that formula depends entirely on how many windows go into the home.
Nice try though....had me for a bit.

I was wondering how y'all figured it was cheap without asking about the count or configurations. I do prefer a single door to a pair of french doors for longevity and furniture placement. I'd usually rather have an extra window than a static door. Sometimes I'd rather have a shutter for looks and drop down to a non-impact window that still meets design pressure with a shutter. Fixing several windows where operation is obsolete, redundant or inconvenient helps too. I never understand when I see a great big operable product high in a stairwell or dormer that can't be gotten to. Sometimes we see where an Architect calls a 2'6 6'0 in a kitchen and you just know the job budget would do better with a smaller product that won't terminate lower than the countertop or bunk bed or vanity or stairwell or,or,or.

fisher

Beach Fanatic
Sep 19, 2005
fisher, have you worked in Mountain Village? I am quite clear about costs in Telluride, and am fully aware about labor and freight. maybe you are using your standards about fixtures and finishes, etc, but there are different standards elsewhere.

There is no way in the world that it COSTS $400-450 per square foot for a builder to construct a house in Telluride or anywhere else in the Rockies unless it is made of solid gold and you throw the price of the land into the equation. :D In the recent crazy real estate market (that is now in the process of a total meltdown including Telluride and every other resort in this country), builders might have gotten $400 per square foot from folks crazy enough to pay that price, but it did not COST the builder anywhere near that price to construct. Certainly, it costs more to build in Telluride than building in more easily accessible areas, but it sure ain't $400-450 per square foot. Materials are not anywhere near 4 to 5 times more expensive in T'ride than elsewhere and labor isn't either. The Home Depot in Montrose will certainly sell lumber and any other home building supplies for prices that are relatively close to prices they sell for in other parts of the country. No way, no how given market economics that it costs 4 to 5 times more to build in T'ride than elsewhere.

Last edited:
There is no way in the world that it COSTS $400-450 per square foot for a builder to construct a house in Telluride or anywhere else in the Rockies unless it is made of solid gold and you throw the price of the land into the equation. :D In the recent crazy real estate market (that is now in the process of a total meltdown including Telluride and every other resort in this country), builders might have gotten $400 per square foot from folks crazy enough to pay that price, but it did not COST the builder anywhere near that price to construct. Certainly, it costs more to build in Telluride than building in more easily accessible areas, but it sure ain't $400-450 per square foot. Materials are not anywhere near 4 to 5 times more expensive in T'ride than elsewhere and labor isn't either. The Home Depot in Montrose will certainly sell lumber and any other home building supplies for prices that are relatively close to prices they sell for in other parts of the country. No way, no how given market economics that it costs 4 to 5 times more to build in T'ride than elsewhere.

I'm definately out of my league on this but I swear I had heard about a RICO type criminal/civil case against a national retailer who charged more in different markets. Does the Home Depot have to charge the same in T'ride as it does in Panama City, SKU for SKU?

Now, I am wondering what a builder can do, other than buying the lot at 2005 prices, to get the seller above water.

I've been reading this Sowal guy's stuff that has a lot of valuable info. His name is Murray Balkcom, GRI, Realtor Coldwell Banker United. I don't know how I missed it all this time when it was right in front of me. I bet he has some answers for you that I haven't thought of. I don't know much about blogs and just stumbled upon a wealth of info.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I was wondering how y'all figured it was cheap without asking about the count or configurations. I do prefer a single door to a pair of french doors for longevity and furniture placement. I'd usually rather have an extra window than a static door. Sometimes I'd rather have a shutter for looks and drop down to a non-impact window that still meets design pressure with a shutter. Fixing several windows where operation is obsolete, redundant or inconvenient helps too. I never understand when I see a great big operable product high in a stairwell or dormer that can't be gotten to. Sometimes we see where an Architect calls a 2'6 6'0 in a kitchen and you just know the job budget would do better with a smaller product that won't terminate lower than the countertop or bunk bed or vanity or stairwell or,or,or.
I am thinking they figured it was cheap because it is significantly less than the typical door/win package for the type of homes we are discussing.

It's all about people's preferences:
- French doors can be much nicer for parties, moving in large furniture, open in nice weather etc.
- Depending on the design, a fixed door can be more pleasing to the eye than a window.
- A shutter only works when there is someone there to close it - not always the case in a vacation/2nd home market, and it can complicate dealings w/ the insurance company to have a combo of rated and non-rated products.
- You can save money by making windows fixed, but nothing is more annoying than a window you can't open when you want to - when painting, cleaning, have the AC off etc. There isn't a single operable window in my house that I haven't opened at one point.
- Obviously, a window that terminates below a counter etc. is a bad idea (the window w/ stairs going through it is a major pet peeve), but the contractor changing window sizes to help the "job budget" is a giant pain in the arse.

I am thinking they figured it was cheap because it is significantly less than the typical door/win package for the type of homes we are discussing.

It's all about people's preferences:
- French doors can be much nicer for parties, moving in large furniture, open in nice weather etc.
- Depending on the design, a fixed door can be more pleasing to the eye than a window.
- A shutter only works when there is someone there to close it - not always the case in a vacation/2nd home market, and it can complicate dealings w/ the insurance company to have a combo of rated and non-rated products.
- You can save money by making windows fixed, but nothing is more annoying than a window you can't open when you want to - when painting, cleaning, have the AC off etc. There isn't a single operable window in my house that I haven't opened at one point.
- Obviously, a window that terminates below a counter etc. is a bad idea (the window w/ stairs going through it is a major pet peeve), but the contractor changing window sizes to help the "job budget" is a giant pain in the arse.

I'm back to being completely wrong on all points again. I'm going to keep working at my trade and try to learn something tomorrow.