• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
http://floridapolitics.com/archives/269236-dave-aronberg-write-in-candidates

Palm Beach prosecutor targets ‘sham’ write-in candidates
8c9d772b288a67a6da2ef477446906c8
PETER SCHORSCH2 days ago

— Barbara Hulse Brooke, running for Walton County Commission District 4.

— Joseph Patrick Hoffman, running for 20th Judicial Circuit State Attorney.

— Valion Joyce, running for State House District 61.

— William Kruse, running for Nassau County Commission District 4.

— Jared Brice Reddick, running for Marion County Commission District 2.

— Josh Santos, running for State Senate District 30.

— Richard Hal Sturm, running for State Senate District 34.

— Jose Vazquez Figueroa, running for State House District 62.

Aronberg, a Democrat and former state senator, says he believes the candidates were recruited by campaigns strictly to close a primary contest.

One candidate vehemently denied the accusation.

“This is news to me,” said Vazquez Figueroa, a registered Democrat and frequent candidate. “I have run before; I have a track record. I run to deliver my message. I run to make sure voters have another choice.”

Aronberg unsuccessfully tried to get the Constitution Revision Commission to consider a proposal to open primary elections to all voters in which a major-party candidate has only write-in opposition.

Current law allows all voters to participate in a primary election if all candidates for an office belong to the same political party, however Division of Elections officials have ruled if a write-in candidate qualifies for the general election, that turns what would have been an open primary into a closed primary, meaning only voters registered to a party can vote.

Candidates and parties — though they don’t admit it — have been known to recruit political novices to run as write-ins to close a primary, which usually benefits an incumbent.

“For too long, sham write-in candidates have been able to disenfranchise millions of Florida voters without any consequences,” Aronberg said. “Prompted by political consultants, these write-in candidates exist not to seek votes but to deprive others of their constitutional right to vote.

In the five state legislative races alone, more than 400,000 voters will not be able to cast a ballot in the primary election that will decide who represents them in Tallahassee.

No write-in candidate has ever won elected office in the Sunshine State. In 2016, Senate District 16 write-in candidate Katherine Perkins received 452 votes out of 190,361 ballots cast. Hers was the best Election Day total of the 26 write-ins who qualified for a state legislative race in that election cycle. In all, those candidates received just 2,255 votes — an average of 87 votes apiece.

“It’s unethical and undemocratic, and it must stop,” he added. “Public disapproval and critical editorials have not deterred sham candidates, so maybe ethics and elections complaints will.”

__

Capitol correspondent Jim Rosica contributed to this post.

EZ4144

Beach Lover
Aug 6, 2005
Election cheating is no longer hidden behind closed doors. It's out in the open. Hey, if the prez is shameless enough to enlist russian help what's the big deal with sham candidates or voter suppression? :dunno:

:whack::bike::pissed::bang::cuss:

Abby Prentiss

Beach Fanatic
May 17, 2007
Democrats and Independents must register as Republican by July 30 to have a vote - don't let cheaters win!

Deadline July 30 for Dems and Indies to be registerd as Republican to make a difference!

Thursday a write-in candidate qualified in our race, thus closing the August 28 primary. Because Florida is a closed primary state, this effectively disenfranchised over 19,000 Democrat and Independent voters from voting for their county commissioner, UNLESS......
Those voters change their voter registration to REPUBLICAN before July 30 at 5PM.
So, if you are currently a registered Democrat or Independent and want to vote for Danny Glidewell for County Commission District 2, you must change to the Republican Party before the deadline. If you want to change, then click the link below and complete the application. We need every vote we can get to overcome the special interests so I respectfully ask you to MAKE A CHANGE FOR A CHANGE!

Florida Online Voter Registration Website -Online Voter Registration

Emerald Drifter

Beach Fanatic
Jun 8, 2018
Santa Rosa Beach
Election cheating is no longer hidden behind closed doors. It's out in the open. Hey, if the prez is shameless enough to enlist russian help what's the big deal with sham candidates or voter suppression? :dunno:

:whack::bike::pissed::bang::cuss:

I see they let you out of the "Welcome to Trump's America" echo chamber again...

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
Once every 20 years, Florida's Constitution provides for the creation of a 37-member revision commission for the purpose of reviewing Florida's Constitution and proposing changes for voter consideration. The Constitution Revision Commission (CRC) meets for approximately one year, traveling the State of Florida, identifying issues, performing research and possibly recommending changes to the Constitution.

The 2017-2018 Constitution Revision Commission (CRC) adjourned on May 11, 2018, and placed eight proposed constitutional amendments on the General Election ballot for voter consideration.

At every single public hearing held by the Commission, Floridians asked Commissioners to do something about Florida's closed primary system that disenfranchises 3.4 million independent voters, including many young people. In polls, 73% of Floridians, including large majorities of Republicans, Democrats, and independents, want the Commission to put an open primaries measure on the 2018 ballot.

The CRC failed to add an amendment to the ballot to close this loophole. It took 22 votes on the commission to approve proposed amendments for the ballot, and this one fell three votes short and was opposed by 17 members.

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
http://floridapolitics.com/archives/269236-dave-aronberg-write-in-candidates

Palm Beach prosecutor targets ‘sham’ write-in candidates
8c9d772b288a67a6da2ef477446906c8
PETER SCHORSCH2 days ago

— Barbara Hulse Brooke, running for Walton County Commission District 4.

— Joseph Patrick Hoffman, running for 20th Judicial Circuit State Attorney.

— Valion Joyce, running for State House District 61.

— William Kruse, running for Nassau County Commission District 4.

— Jared Brice Reddick, running for Marion County Commission District 2.

— Josh Santos, running for State Senate District 30.

— Richard Hal Sturm, running for State Senate District 34.

— Jose Vazquez Figueroa, running for State House District 62.

Aronberg, a Democrat and former state senator, says he believes the candidates were recruited by campaigns strictly to close a primary contest.

One candidate vehemently denied the accusation.

“This is news to me,” said Vazquez Figueroa, a registered Democrat and frequent candidate. “I have run before; I have a track record. I run to deliver my message. I run to make sure voters have another choice.”

Aronberg unsuccessfully tried to get the Constitution Revision Commission to consider a proposal to open primary elections to all voters in which a major-party candidate has only write-in opposition.

Current law allows all voters to participate in a primary election if all candidates for an office belong to the same political party, however Division of Elections officials have ruled if a write-in candidate qualifies for the general election, that turns what would have been an open primary into a closed primary, meaning only voters registered to a party can vote.

Candidates and parties — though they don’t admit it — have been known to recruit political novices to run as write-ins to close a primary, which usually benefits an incumbent.

“For too long, sham write-in candidates have been able to disenfranchise millions of Florida voters without any consequences,” Aronberg said. “Prompted by political consultants, these write-in candidates exist not to seek votes but to deprive others of their constitutional right to vote.

In the five state legislative races alone, more than 400,000 voters will not be able to cast a ballot in the primary election that will decide who represents them in Tallahassee.

No write-in candidate has ever won elected office in the Sunshine State. In 2016, Senate District 16 write-in candidate Katherine Perkins received 452 votes out of 190,361 ballots cast. Hers was the best Election Day total of the 26 write-ins who qualified for a state legislative race in that election cycle. In all, those candidates received just 2,255 votes — an average of 87 votes apiece.

“It’s unethical and undemocratic, and it must stop,” he added. “Public disapproval and critical editorials have not deterred sham candidates, so maybe ethics and elections complaints will.”

__

Capitol correspondent Jim Rosica contributed to this post.

As Mrs. Brooke stated at the recent WRWF luncheon where all of the candidates spoke, she is very much supporting one of the candidates, whom she did not name. Since she came across as very intelligent and informed about Walton County politics, one can only assume she is supporting Bill Fletcher because of his extraordinary involvement in so many Walton County issues and excellent business background as CEO of a national company. Mr. Nick, on the other hand, stated at this same meeting that, when he was handed the family restaurant business at the age of 23, he inherited a staff with 120 years of combined experience in running the restaurant and he "wondered what this 23 year old was going to do for them”. He said he told them to “just keep doing what they had been doing and he would shake hands and clean toilets and so far that was working very well". Just maybe, Mrs. Brooke is concerned that, in spite of the dramatic differences in qualifications between the two, the history of the good old boy and special interest groups impact on our elections may well get Mr. Nick elected. In the event that happens, I suspect you will see a groundswell of support to get her elected, as she is also much better qualified than Mr. Nick to serve as our County Commissioner and is certainly to be commended for filing. It is also noteworthy that the article does not list the write-in that closed the Primary for the Jones/Glidewell race. Please vote on August 28, 2018!