• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Gwen Break

Beach Fanatic
Aug 2, 2011
South Walton, near the bay
[FONT=&quot]Alaqua Animal Refuge announces "Alaqua Unleashed" (formerly known as the Bark Park) located in Santa Rosa Beach on over 18 acres of county owned land. The park is Walton County's only off-leash dog park and has recently seen a variety of improvements including a spacious parking area, restroom facility, information center, refreshments, landscaping, and a private area for dog training classes scheduled for the fall. Alaqua Unleashed's goal is to become a membership/sponsorship-based park so that it can continue improvements and operate on a stand-alone budget separate from the refuge.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"While we see a great opportunity to have an affiliation between these two animal-focused entities, we want to make sure that donors for both the refuge and the park are comfortable with how their gifts are being used," said Laurie Hood, president and founder of Alaqua Animal Refuge.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This premier community space, which currently has three acres developed, has plans for expansion for the remaining property that includes shade and seating features, nature trails, a stage and event facilities, doggie cafe with Wi-Fi, memorial garden and water features. Plans to develop this space will be announced at an upcoming event at the park, date to be determined.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Charter Members Save
[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]Get a yearly family membership (up to three dogs) for only $120. As the improvements continue, membership prices will rise accordingly, so lock in your price by becoming a charter member today. Help us keep the park open, safe and clean by becoming a member.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Simply click here[/FONT][FONT=&quot] or mail a check with a note to reference “Alaqua Unleashed,” to Alaqua Animal Refuge, 914 Whitfield Rd, Freeport FL 32439. [/FONT]

hippiechick

Beach Fanatic
Oct 1, 2006
Seagrove Beach
Yeah and how come they won't answer my question? I don't mind paying a membership fee, but $120 for up to 3 dogs? What about someone like me with an old rescue dog, I have to pay the same amount as someone with 3 dogs? How will it be enforced? Will there be someone at the gate checking for Membership cards?

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
That seems a little pricey - my parents pay $27 a year to take their dog to any one of 10 area dog parks.

They just verify that the dog has a valid license/vaccination and they have to wear their special dog park tag on their collar.

whatiscmr

Beach Lover
Jun 23, 2011
It's kind of like a use tax. I like it. It will help defer associated cost of maintaining itself as well as separating money so it doesn't drain from the animal refuge. 2 birds with 1 stone, nice! Of course we'll help the hypothetical birds by nursing them back to health after being hit by a stone. I think Alaqua will take them. .

Fancy

Beach Comber
Aug 11, 2008
Please go to the Alaqua Unleashed FB page and read the update!! It is functioning on the honor system right now and open to all!! The membership fee is something they are trying to help raise money to keep the park open to all, $10 a month.

agrier57205

Beach Comber
Jul 29, 2011
The membership fee is a great idea because it makes everyone responsible for caring for our park and goes to a great organization. When you have to pay for something, you tend to take better care of it.