• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Okay I see three scenarios.

Cut services.
Doubt you will see much of that.

Cut spending.
I am sure that there are plenty of places to find some savings, but do not know if there are enough to get out of this hole.

Raise taxes a mill or so.
$100 on a $100K house. This is just the BCC side, I have not seen any figures from the school district yet.

doxiegirl

Beach Comber
Nov 13, 2006
Number three sounds good to me.

quote=wrobert;563266]Okay I see three scenarios.

Cut services.

Cut spending.
I am sure that there are plenty of places to find some savings, but do not know if there are enough to get out of this hole.

$100 on a $100K house. This is just the BCC side, I have not seen any figures from the school district yet.[/quote]

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Number three sounds good to me.

quote=wrobert;563266]Okay I see three scenarios.

Cut services.

Cut spending.

$100 on a $100K house. This is just the BCC side, I have not seen any figures from the school district yet.
[/quote]

I guess it would be worth a $100 a year knowing that if I did not clean up my stuff I could get a free dumpster to put it in.

Busta Hustle

Beach Fanatic
Apr 11, 2007
How about they cut where they can cut and then take the rest out of employee salary and benefits?

That seems to be the answer in most businesses around here.

Let's pretend they can't raise taxes.

doxiegirl

Beach Comber
Nov 13, 2006
All of the salaries or just including the ones that make, let's say, 70-120 k a year? Not all government employees make a lot of money.

How about they cut where they can cut and then take the rest out of employee salary and benefits?

That seems to be the answer in most businesses around here.

Let's pretend they can't raise taxes.

Cutting salaries makes no sense whatsoever. County government ( including BCC, School Board and constitutional officers) is the largest employer in the county. Most people, whether they make $100,000 or $20,000 pay a large portion of their income on mortgages, car payments, etc. The bulk of the remainder is spent locally on food, clothing, gas, etc. If you cut someone's salary, the first items THEY will cut are eating out, movies, new electronics, etc,etc. Thus, when you say cut government salaries, in essence, you are cutting a major source of income for local business. Since most of our small local businesses are in financial trouble already, cutting salaries will further drive them towards bankruptcy. This will in turn cause less sales tax and property tax to come in leading to another deficit next year. This is basic economics.

I would reccommend a balanced approach. Cut some services ( do we really need two libraries 12 miles apart?) require all employees to contrbute to their health insurance like the private sector and raise the millage maybe .25 mills. Go .50 mills if necessary. Everyone can then share in the pain/savings.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
What about a 1 cent sales tax? We already do it for Garbage and it has been used for other capital improvements, ie jail. Would it be enough to offset the deficit and would there be enough to split with the School Board? If you think not cutting wages is a good idea because of the loss of spending by those you would be cutting, how could increasing the amount an employee pays for their insurance really be any different. Now we have reduced there wage and benefit, IMO.

Interested Girl

Beach Fanatic
Aug 15, 2008
What would you do if this was your household account ? Would you go to your employer a hand him a bill for the 7.5 million?

Most do what I have been forced to do - you cut spending - you learn to live within the revenue you have, or get a second job.

We could also do what the federal government has done and bankrupt our great grandchildrens future.

Walton County needs a "Bailout" I guess.

:trainwreck:

Last edited:

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Unfortunately this is bigger than my household and effects more than just me with regards to services provided to others. It is important to note, that when politicians go for these grants/ bailouts and the like and say it does not cost us anything they are not correct. So when Commissioners and residents want to preserve something or keep a park open or enhance public right of way of keep libraries open longer, it does cost us money.