• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Interested Girl

Beach Fanatic
Aug 15, 2008
The operative word is "want". Many times the public has a difficult time distinguishing between a want and a need. I have "wanted" many things in life that I did not need and could not afford.

Basic services are needs - we have a lot of wants being funded that should be eliminated.

30ashopper

SoWal Insider
Apr 30, 2008
Right here!
Suspend Autum Tides for a year - 1 million
Suspend TDC "New Product Development" for a year - 1.6 million
Cut the TDC Administration budget in half for a year - 3 million
Substantially raise fees on land fill use - current land fill budget is 12 million
Elliminate S.H.I.P. - 1 million
Cancel the "inmate canteen fund" - 300K
-----------------------------
~7.5 million

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Suspend Autum Tides for a year - 1 million
Suspend TDC "New Product Development" for a year - 1.6 million
Cut the TDC Administration budget in half for a year - 3 million
Substantially raise fees on land fill use - current land fill budget is 12 million
Elliminate S.H.I.P. - 1 million
Cancel the "inmate canteen fund" - 300K
-----------------------------
~7.5 million

If only it were that easy.

Autumn Tides is from bed tax money so it stays at the TDC.
Same for the next two things.

We collect more on the sales tax then it currently costs to fund the landfill I think. So how is that going to help?

SHIP are either State or Federal, not ad valoreum so we either use them or lose them.

Inmate canteen fund is more restricted dollars that have to be spent on the inmates and are collected from the inmates.

This is what makes it so hard. Only around 40% of the total budget is coming from ad valoreum taxes and that is where we have to find the 7.5 million.

30ashopper

SoWal Insider
Apr 30, 2008
Right here!
If only it were that easy.

Autumn Tides is from bed tax money so it stays at the TDC.
Same for the next two things.

Why are TDC expenditures off limits when they are a set of line items in the county budget? The TDC is just a government entity that over sees revenue generation through bed taxes. Re-route that money someplace else.

We collect more on the sales tax then it currently costs to fund the landfill I think. So how is that going to help?

Rasising fees on something like this generates revenue. Every time I've gone to the dump I had to pay a fee to dump stuff.

SHIP are either State or Federal, not ad valoreum so we either use them or lose them.

Inmate canteen fund is more restricted dollars that have to be spent on the inmates and are collected from the inmates.

This is what makes it so hard. Only around 40% of the total budget is coming from ad valoreum taxes and that is where we have to find the 7.5 million.

Point me to a detailed ad velorum income vs. expenditures report and I'll be more than happy to find you your 7.5 million, and then some. :lol: The TDC alone accounts for almost 14 million in the budget.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Why are TDC expenditures off limits when they are a set of line items in the county budget? The TDC is just a government entity that over sees revenue generation through bed taxes. Re-route that money someplace else.

Rasising fees on something like this generates revenue. Every time I've gone to the dump I had to pay a fee to dump stuff.

Point me to a detailed ad velorum income vs. expenditures report and I'll be more than happy to find you your 7.5 million, and then some. :lol: The TDC alone accounts for almost 14 million in the budget.

The TDC funds are restricted by Florida statute. They still have to be shown in the budget though. I have never had to pay for anything that I have taken to the landfill to dump that I can recall. Let me get with Hudson and see if he has a copy of the budget yet so it can be put out there for ideas.

One way to raise money is to allow non-property owners to also buy beach permits and dog permits. We already make a significant amount of monies off of these while unconstitutionally restricting the permits. If we were to start doing things legally, there would be a chance for even more dollars that would flow into the general fund.

John R

needs to get out more
Dec 31, 2005
Conflictinator
One way to raise money is to allow non-property owners to also buy beach permits and dog permits. We already make a significant amount of monies off of these while unconstitutionally restricting the permits.

opening up more permits for beach vehicles is a bad idea imo, the environmental impacts are already bad enough with the ones we already have. Selling them to non residents would be a disaster, daytona closed theirs for a reason. also, there isn't enough available space for the ones we have now, there would be nowhere for additional ones to park.

you've mentioned the constitutionality regarding this topic on more than one occasion. your personal opinion is one thing, can you please provide actual backup?

30ashopper

SoWal Insider
Apr 30, 2008
Right here!
The TDC funds are restricted by Florida statute. They still have to be shown in the budget though.

It's restricted at the state level? You've got me curious now, I'll have to do some reading up.

I have never had to pay for anything that I have taken to the landfill to dump that I can recall.

I won't be calling the guy who hauls junk to the dump for me anymore. :lol: I thought they charged for big loads?

Let me get with Hudson and see if he has a copy of the budget yet so it can be put out there for ideas.

That would be excellent. I'd love to see a full spread on what comes in and where it comes from, and what goes out.

One way to raise money is to allow non-property owners to also buy beach permits and dog permits. We already make a significant amount of monies off of these while unconstitutionally restricting the permits. If we were to start doing things legally, there would be a chance for even more dollars that would flow into the general fund.

You're generating new revenue here, which I think is fine.

I personally would just start by assuming increased sales taxes are not an option. These revenues should adjust upward on their own as Walton experiences population growth. Modest inflation adjustments are probably acceptable too I suppose. But we shouldn't be increasing one tax to pay for the deficit in another. It cancels out what we really wanted, which was a property tax reduction.

When you say cut services, you eliminate jobs. Same difference.

If you eliminate a program you can shift the employees around and allow attrition to weed them out. The immediate savings is on fuel/utilities, reduced equipment and supplies.

Cutting jobs/salaries should be a last resort. Most businesses I know cannot afford anymore drops in revene.:bang:

What about a 1 cent sales tax? We already do it for Garbage and it has been used for other capital improvements, ie jail. Would it be enough to offset the deficit and would there be enough to split with the School Board? If you think not cutting wages is a good idea because of the loss of spending by those you would be cutting, how could increasing the amount an employee pays for their insurance really be any different. Now we have reduced there wage and benefit, IMO.

Due to simple politics the employees are going to have to take a co-pay for their benefits to mirror the private sector. I small insurance contribution should be more acceptable than a 5-10% decrease in salaries or a "furlough" The bottom line is if you intend to ask taxpayers to contribute more, the employees are going to have to pony up as well.:dunno: