• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
There already is and I think it is 5%.

Whether you agree with the TDC or not, it has virtually no impact on the BCC budget. If we cut the TDC budget to zero tommorow, it would not help find one dollar of the 7.5 million that must be found or cut. Same applys to SHIP monies and inmate funds.

As with most businesses, 75% plus of the county budget is for personnel (salaries & benefits) Therein lies the problem.

Busta Hustle

Beach Fanatic
Apr 11, 2007
PLEASE Always start with the idea that no new taxes or fees of any kind can be raised. Next years budget reduction of 7.5 mil should not bother the good business of government. Even with the cut they still have 1 of the top 5 budgets in the history of budgets. They should be planning on $7.5 mil budget cuts for the next 5 years.
Great discussion ladies and gents. Carry on!

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I think we SHOULD approach the problem w/o raising taxes.

IMO there are definitely some overpaid and/or unnecessary positions and perks that could help balance the budget.

One suggestion I had - how much would we save by only having garbage pickup once a week during the "slow" times?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I think the gov't should do like everyone else -- make do with what they have. Most everyone has taken a substantial hit in their income over the last year or two. With this, they eventually stopped spending at the same levels. Businesses did the same. They often cut back work force or cut back on everyone's salaries, in order to stay in business. They didn't try and get more income by charging more for goods and services, which is essentially what would be happening if taxes are increased. Doing so, would close many businesses as the customers would go elsewhere or do without.
Cut back, cut back, cut back. Scooterbug is on a good start with decreasing trash collection to one/week in the off-season. Most of my neighbors put their trash out for collection maybe every third pick up (10 days). Surely, there are other ways to cut back.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
On 4/02/09 there was a Walton County Taxpayer's Association meeting on the upcoming budget. County Administrator Ronnie Bell was the featured speaker. The short of it is he has already found ways to address the 7.5 million budget shortfall. He was specifically instructed by the BCC he was not to increase the millage rate. If you need more information on this meeting go to Walton County Taxpayers meeting in this thread on 4/03/09.

Last edited:

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
On 4/02/09 there was a Walton County Taxpayer's Association meeting on the upcoming budget. County Administrator Ronnie Bell was the featured speaker. The short of it is he has already found ways to address the 7.5 million budget shortfall. He was specifically instructed by the BCC he was not to increase the millage rate. If you need more information on this meeting go to Walton County Taxpayers meeting in this thread on 4/03/09.

Oh Andy. That song has already changed.

But just think. We could raise the millage rate 5 mills, that would bring in an additional 80 million or so, with that we could start all of the capital projects that we have dreamed about putting everyone in the county that wants to work back to work. Now that would mean that if you had a house valued at 100K you would pay an additional $500 in property tax. But for less than $2 a day, everyone is working.

Oh Andy. That song has already changed.

But just think. We could raise the millage rate 5 mills, that would bring in an additional 80 million or so, with that we could start all of the capital projects that we have dreamed about putting everyone in the county that wants to work back to work. Now that would mean that if you had a house valued at 100K you would pay an additional $500 in property tax. But for less than $2 a day, everyone is working.

Robert, you need an intervention. RAISE taxes 5 mills? Millions around the county are in cardiac arrest! :rotfl:

Now I know you are a Bush "conservative.":rotfl:

(Just teasing you a little:D)