• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I brought that up two weeks ago as a highlight from the mtg. I'll note that the BCC has every right to go against staff recommendations. Sometimes, I feel that they should. However, in this case, the most important issue is that Walton County BCC gave the rules on the bidding process, then broke their own rules, with Scott Brannon pushing the motion to award the bid to the second lowest bidder. Carr got screwed big time, and the BCC should be ashamed of their unjustly actions. As this article states, there was not even discussion on the item, just a quick motion by Comm. Brannon and a quick vote, and a look to the Carr representatives when they protested, like, "screw you." I see that Carr's letter doesn't include the discussion which happened later in the meeting, long after they left.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Surely this will not get swept under the carpet by our BCC:roll:
Actually, they used a big@ss street sweeper on this one, and they buried it in the Wooley Swamp.

This is on the lines of an auction company promising a 100% absolute auction, and people do their homework, drive to the auction. Instead of the winning bid going to the high bidder, they change the rules during the auction, and it goes to the person who bid the second highest. The only difference is that the people doing this aren't some shyster auctioneers (not all are shysters), instead, they are people who are supposed to be leading our gov't, and they are supposed to uphold the laws and policies of the County.

...and WaltonGOP says that he doesn't see the Good Ole Boy Network in WalCo.

Last edited:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I think it is very unfortunate that they will not be suing the BCC because of the legal costs. Yes, I know those are our tax dollars, but they need a wake-up call. :angry:

The BCC is COMPLETELY in the wrong! That's not just some Scooterbug opinion, that's legal fact!

They're not just changing arbitrary Walton County rules that they made up, they're screwing with the national building industry standards and decades of precedents.

Last edited:

Santiago

Beach Fanatic
May 29, 2005
seagrove beach
I wish like hell that they would sue the bunch of f---ing crooks and it would cost the county a million dollars. Then maybe they would through the rednecks out on their ass. I know I'm not the only one thinking this, am I?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
nope. you are not alone in your thoughts. Interestingly, at the Meeting, when the Carr representatives were leaving the room, one of them mentioned the idea of filing suit against the County, and received much applause from the audience. Then, Comm. Meadows reminded the audience that lawsuits cost taxpayers money, and that got responses from the audience like, "Then do the right thing" and "You are costing us money by not giving the bid to the low bidder."

Commissioner Brannon, later in the meeting, insinuated that Carr Construction was not reliable, by stating that the reason they gave the bid to the other company was because they would do a good job. I was floored. I know neither company competing for the bid, but it seems to me that only bona fide construction companies should be allowed to bid.

One other comment made by County Fill-IN Attorney, Mike Burke, after the Carr reps left the room in protest, was something along the lines, "their behavior just now shows that the right people were awarded the job." Again, I was floored by such comments, especially when the County awarded the job to the second highest bidder, going against the published rules of the bidding process.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Odd how Brannon was the only one who didn't feel they were qualified. Not only did their requirements not disqualify them, the county staff recommended them.

Of course, he has a MUCH better handle on where his campaign contributions come from than the rest of us :angry:.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Odd how Brannon was the only one who didn't feel they were qualified. Not only did their requirements not disqualify them, the county staff recommended them.

Of course, he has a MUCH better handle on where his campaign contributions come from than the rest of us :angry:.
Well, political contributions are public record. Here's Comm. Brannon's.

Not only Brannon chose the second lowest bid, but all of the other County Commissioners voted in favor of awarding the bid to them, without discussion of any type.

Last edited:

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Actually, they used a big@ss street sweeper on this one, and they buried it in the Wooley Swamp.

...and WaltonGOP says that he doesn't see the Good Ole Boy Network in WalCo.

And you have spoken to the commissioners to find out what happened here? I do not see the ties, but am willing to admit I am wrong if you can point to proof instead of supposition.