• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

WCTA

Beach Lover
May 27, 2009
Walton County
www.waltontaxpayers.org
The Public Budget hearing has just concluded and in a surprising move they set next years millage rate the same as this years rate.

After a PowerPoint presentation detailing the budget proposal Commissioner Larry Jones made a motion to split the difference between last years rate and the rolback rate which would allow for additional decreases that might occur in the total taxable value and allow for a reduction in the rate if possible before the final rate was set, Commissioner Scott Brannon seconded the motion. After discussion lead by Commissioner Comander and Commissioner Cecilia Jones detailing their opposition to raising taxes - Commissioner Commander called for a vote on the motion and the motion was defeated by a 3-2 vote with Comander,Pridgen and Cecilia Jones voting against and Commissioner Larry Jones and Commissioner Brannon voting in favor of the proposed increase.

Commissioner Cecilia Jones then proposed setting the rate the same as last year and the motion passed by a 5-0 vote.

This action sets the maximum millage rate for the 2009-2010 budget. During the two upcoming public Budget hearings the millage rate can be lowered, but cannot be raised.

We will continue to analyze the budget proposal and present a WCTA analysis of the impact on services and programs in the next few days.

Last edited:

Here4Good

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2006
Point Washington
I just sent Cecilia Jones a thank you email - I think that she would appreciate hearing from everyone in District 5. This was not an easy thing to do, and there will be lots of tough decisions ahead.

beachFool

Beach Fanatic
May 6, 2007
I just sent Cecilia Jones a thank you email - I think that she would appreciate hearing from everyone in District 5. This was not an easy thing to do, and there will be lots of tough decisions ahead.

:dunno: I disagree...she did the easy thing to do.

Sooner or later the millege rate is going to have to go up & that is political suicide.

Here4Good

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2006
Point Washington

Sooner or later the millege rate is going to have to go up & that is political suicide.

Remember; this year's "distressed" county tax valuation is $14 billion, which we are constantly reminded is 14% lower than last year.

It is also DOUBLE what it was in 2004, and 18% above what it was in 2005. That's not ancient history. What have been the major improvements in the county government in the last 5 years that we have seen from this doubling of income? We have seen some long-needed buildings built, but other than that, everything is about the same. Well, now that the buildings are built, let's see if we can't get by on, say, twice what we did in 2005. I'd be DELIGHTED if my current salary was twice what it was 4 years ago.

WCTA, I have been trying to dig up the totals on BCC budget since 2003 and have been coming up blank. Do you have them handy?

Last edited:

Just Curious

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009

Originally Posted by beachFool

You really can't please everybody. It doesn't matter what the BCC does somebody is upset.

WCTA

Beach Lover
May 27, 2009
Walton County
www.waltontaxpayers.org
Originally Posted by beachFool

You really can't please everybody. It doesn't matter what the BCC does somebody is upset.

Well we must get the size of government right or we will end up like California with a 28 billion dollar budget shortfall issuing IOU's.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Whew, good thing fuel prices, materials, and insurance rates haven't gone up since 2004. Good thing the, remaining, county employees dollar goes just as far as 2004.

Edit: Lord knows with the Census coming that the population hasn't grown either.

/sarcasm off/

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Whew, good thing fuel prices, materials, and insurance rates haven't gone up since 2004. Good thing the, remaining, county employees dollar goes just as far as 2004.

Edit: Lord knows with the Census coming that the population hasn't grown either.

/sarcasm off/

CPI+Population growth added to the 2003 base rate is perfectable acceptable. Not sure, but I think you would have to whack another 20% off the budget to get there. But I am glad to use your numbers.