• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Dr. John Savage, who has been practicing dentistry in Ebro along the Choctawhatchee River for over 30 years, will speak to the Emerald Coast Meditation Society Feb. 4 on “Being Happy With What Is.”

The free meeting will start with a 30-minute meditation at 6:30 p.m. at Christ the King Episcopal Church, 480 N. Co. Hwy. 393, Santa Rosa Beach, one-half mile north of Hwy. 98. The ECMS is ecumenical and follows no religion.

He writes, “Can you make a serious commitment that ‘I will be happy’? If so it could change your thinking and even your life. I hope to stir up a provocative and stimulating discussion.”

Savage was born and raised in Destin. However, his roots in this area date from 1870, when his great-grandfather began traveling by horse and buggy to treat dental patients along the Choctawhatchee River.

Savage earned a degree in dentistry from Emory University, and taught in the dental school while pursuing a law degree. While practicing dentistry in the Atlanta area he served 10 years in the Georgia legislature, representing two different districts for five years each. He also served two stints in the U.S. Navy during Operation Deep Freeze in Antarctica.

But, he says, “The emotional pull for me to return to the Choctawhatchee River never left me.” Eventually he and his father bought land along the river, setting the stage for one of the most remote dental practices one might imagine.

He has thrived in his specialty, which is cosmetic dentistry – or helping people have pretty smiles, as he puts it. Now in his 58th year of practicing dentistry, he also finds delight in speaking on his philosophy, which includes trying to learn something new every day. In 2008 he was a founder of the Destin Philosophical Society, which holds monthly meetings.

The evening will conclude with a short guided meditation. The ECMS meets on the first and third Thursday of every month except July and August. Anyone who needs meditation instruction should arrive by 6:15 p.m. For information contact Nancy James, nancyjames@embarqmail.com

Captain Larry

SoWal.com Featured Blogger
Mar 21, 2006
Eastern Lake
I've spent many a day on the river and lakes after putting in at "John's Little Acre" Even when he lived "up North" he was a bit of a legend. I haven't seen him in 20 years but he was always a great guy.