• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Okay some of you environmentalists here should be able to enlighten the rest of us on this. But I was told this evening that Billy McKee is currently finishing up the Habitat Protection Plan soon to be adopted by Walton County that will make beach bonfires totally illegal.

Not going to be long before there is going to be any reason to go to the beach if they keep this up.

avalon

Beach Fanatic
Apr 21, 2008
Seagrove
Surely the county can set a reasonable limit and permit accordingly. So many rules and regulations! This is the price for popularity. Be careful what you wish for.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
If you want to further promote the dissension between "private" vs. "public" beach usage just enact something like banning bonfires on the beach. What a stupid idea. If there is the right kind of permitting and supervision of bonfires there is no need to ban them. What is the rationale for this move? It is the first I've heard of it.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
If you want to further promote the dissension between "private" vs. "public" beach usage just enact something like banning bonfires on the beach. What a stupid idea. If there is the right kind of permitting and supervision of bonfires there is no need to ban them. What is the rationale for this move? It is the first I've heard of it.

I know I was totally shocked. I had mentioned to one of the county attorney's that I wanted to get with them to go over the beach activities ordinance to fix the problems with bonfire permitting and was told that bonfires would be banned before we could go through and fix the ordinance. I think it is something the State is making Walton County do to protect turtles or something like that.

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
Why not just limit it to turtle season? That I could understand. It's not the time of year for bonfires, anyway.

With that said, I am getting kind of tired of seeing the dregs of bonfires on the beach. I wish people would embrace the idea of leaving no trace.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I thought the whole point of issuing permits for bonfires was to:
1) control when they could occur
2) know who was responsible for any mess left? :dunno:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I thought the whole point of issuing permits for bonfires was to:
1) control when they could occur
2) know who was responsible for any mess left? :dunno:

Unfortunately if you have 3 bonfires on Grayton beach in one night and only one party is using a burn barrel. Should they all be punished for the remnants left by a few?