Beach Bonfires soon to be BANNED?

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by wrobert, May 21, 2009.

1. wrobert

wrobert Beach Fanatic

Okay some of you environmentalists here should be able to enlighten the rest of us on this. But I was told this evening that Billy McKee is currently finishing up the Habitat Protection Plan soon to be adopted by Walton County that will make beach bonfires totally illegal.

Not going to be long before there is going to be any reason to go to the beach if they keep this up.

2. InletBchDweller

InletBchDweller SoWal Insider

I sure hope not!! :angry:

3. avalon

avalon Beach Fanatic

Surely the county can set a reasonable limit and permit accordingly. So many rules and regulations! This is the price for popularity. Be careful what you wish for.

4. Andy A

Andy A Beach Fanatic

If you want to further promote the dissension between "private" vs. "public" beach usage just enact something like banning bonfires on the beach. What a stupid idea. If there is the right kind of permitting and supervision of bonfires there is no need to ban them. What is the rationale for this move? It is the first I've heard of it.

5. wrobert

wrobert Beach Fanatic

I know I was totally shocked. I had mentioned to one of the county attorney's that I wanted to get with them to go over the beach activities ordinance to fix the problems with bonfire permitting and was told that bonfires would be banned before we could go through and fix the ordinance. I think it is something the State is making Walton County do to protect turtles or something like that.

6. Will B

Will B Moderator

If I wanted to live in a Nanny state, I would have moved to England a while back...

7. Lynnie

Lynnie SoWal Insider

:floor::floor:

8. rapunzel

rapunzel Beach Fanatic

Why not just limit it to turtle season? That I could understand. It's not the time of year for bonfires, anyway.

With that said, I am getting kind of tired of seeing the dregs of bonfires on the beach. I wish people would embrace the idea of leaving no trace.

9. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

I thought the whole point of issuing permits for bonfires was to:
    1) control when they could occur
    2) know who was responsible for any mess left? :idontno:

10. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

Unfortunately if you have 3 bonfires on Grayton beach in one night and only one party is using a burn barrel. Should they all be punished for the remnants left by a few?

11. ASH

ASH Beach Fanatic

I don't understand what this has to do with turtles unless they are concerned with hatchlings wanting to join your party because they see the light. There aren't so many allowed that it would leave no place for a turtle to come in at night to lay eggs.
    Beaches and a bonfire are like peanut butter and jelly. They just go together.

12. Interested Girl

Interested Girl Beach Fanatic

The original ordinance provided for a fire container to be provided with the permit issued. Never done - nadda, zero. There have been over 400 permits issued this year raising approx. 20,000. Folks understand this - it is simply a revenue stream for the county.

They have never enforced any portion of the ordinance, but they rake in the money.

I guess the turtles bump into the fire remnants people leave on the beach - no enforcement no cleanup.

So be it - the Green Wave has hit and before long I will not even be able to sit on property and watch the sunset.

We have to have the habitat preservation plan because we allow sea walls.

13. Geo

Geo Beach Fanatic

I just had one last Saturday. Good times. Planning on having another in early June. I hope this isn't true. Do we really have a problem? I am under the impression that generally the beach bonfire thing is working just fine...

14. wrobert

wrobert Beach Fanatic

I just can not imagine what the soiree is going to be like in the fall without a bonfire. It is cold enough out there in the spring.

15. idlewind

idlewind Beach Fanatic

Walton/Okaloosa County and a little south alabama
    I haven't tried in awhile, but you used to pay for the permit at the annex and pick up the barrel at the sheriff's station. Guess I need to get out more.

Before long they will ban walking on the beach so as not to traumatize the turtles. 100,000 people will look funny sunning and bathing at the 331 bridge. :bang:

16. JamBone

JamBone Beach Fanatic

i have bonfires every full moon. we call it the full bone party. its a blast!!! at one time you went to the sheriff's office, paid $50 for a permit, they GAVE you a burn barrel and the permit on the day of the fire. you had your fire and left the burn barrel on the beach. they would pick up the barrel for you the next day (after it cooled) and then you could go and get $25 back. great system. now, you go to the south walton annex, sign in, wait in line, go into the codes office, fill out the paper work, pay the $50 and you must provide and show them your burn barrel. you get no money back. you must remove the burn barrel your self. vehicles must be off grayton beach by 10 pm so in order to remove the burn barrel by ten so you dont have to carry it by hand across the beach it needs to be cooled down enough to put in the truck. so really you need to end the bonfire before dark so as to move the barrel by ten. or you can stay on the beach without a vehicle which there are plenty of places to have a bonfire besides driving on grayton and have the fire as long as you want. but you still have to remove a hot barrel or douse it with water which creates its own crazy sooty ember mess. the old system was very user friendly. this one is not so much. when they picked the barrel up for you the next day there was way less mess because the barrel cooled down without drenching the fire in water. hope they dont end it all together though because its my favorite thing to do!!! i am inspected and checked up for my permit every time and i appreciate that enforcement. the crazy thing is i have seen several fires that weren't in barrels - just holes in the sand and those fires were not stopped by the sheriff? maybe you don't need a barrel? never asked about it though.

17. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

Well with code enforcement working weekends maybe they will put somebody on nights to pick the barrel up?

18. Everytime

Everytime Beach Fanatic

This could endanger the hermit crabs that hang out in the shallows on the bay floor.

19. Chuckster

Chuckster Beach Comber

This is another example of government legislating our lives.

Legislation banning all vehicles (except the code enforcement police), from Grayton beach will be next!

I am not against reasonable regulations, but things are getting out of

hand with this government intervention thing!:bang:

20. idlewind

idlewind Beach Fanatic

Walton/Okaloosa County and a little south alabama

How in the world could I have looked that issue over? Let me google hermit crab habitat in Walton County.:floor::floor::floor: