• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

katie blue

kt loo
Mar 11, 2005
in perpetual motion
Hi y'all-
I haven't been down in over a month-last time i was there was right after some serious beach scraping (I'm in seacrest). the beach looked fine, but was a little "short" due to the scraping. since we have a lot of exposed peat and water springs there due to Ivan, i'm looking forward to the sand returning this spring. to anyone on the east end....how's it looking right now? mother nature making any progress yet?

also, anyone know whether the county has decided to replenish white sand or not (to help cover peat etc.)? just curious, really. no biggie ;)

FoX

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
off the beach
www.thesimpsons.com
They've done 2 scrapings now, so the dune line looks good and is covering almost all of the peat. But the beach is still looking a bit dark from the scraping. It'll take some wind and weather to get some sand back up on the beach. Overall no one seems to be minding and are enjoying the beach.

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
They've done a number of rounds of scraping -- at least four or five now. They just did another pass along Seagrove Beach Wednesday morning. That evening a big storm rolled and for that day and then next several, the beach did look shorter than anytime I could recall in the past several years.

By Sunday, the storm tide was down and it looked like another sandbar had migrated to the front of the beach, widening the beach again. It's surprising how much it changes in just a few days.

The last I heard their DEP permit was only good through April 15th, and in any case Turtle season is starting, so I would think the scraping is almost over.