• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
The fun and fireworks of July 4 often leave in their wake a beach littered with debris. Please join our community effort to remove fireworks and other debris left behind on our beautiful beaches.

The South Walton Community Council is sponsoring its annual beach cleanup on the morning of July 5. In addition to the poor appearance presented by littered beaches, the debris is also a safety hazard to nesting turtles and other marine life.

Please join us for our beach cleanup at 8AM on July 5 at one of the following beach accesses: Miramar Beach, Dune Allen Beach, Ed Walline, Blue Mountain Beach, Grayton Beach, Santa Clara in Seagrove Beach, and Eastern Lake. We will also use the following accesses: SeaCrest (Mistral, located just west of Mistral development), Rosemary Beach (Western green dune walkover, located due south of the Town Center) and Sand Cliffs (located in front of Sand Cliffs Condominium).

Volunteers from SWCC will be at each of these accesses to provide you with trash bags, gloves and water.

The SWCC is an organization of residents, business owners and property owners whose mission is to preserve, protect and enhance the quality of life and natural environment of South Walton County. To contact the SWCC call (850) 314-3749 or visit its website at www.southwaltoncc.org.

Do NOT shoot fireworks into the lakes or woods.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I would love to help, but my butt will not be out of my bed at 8am on July 5th. Those people must be smoking crack again. I told them last year to push back the clean-up to a later time so they would have a greater turnout of people to help clean. :dunno: I bet you that the only people who will be there at 8am will be the people who are not shooting the fireworks to begin with.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Smiling JOe said:
I would love to help, but my butt will not be out of my bed at 8am on July 5th. Those people must be smoking crack again. I told them last year to push back the clean-up to a later time so they would have a greater turnout of people to help clean. :dunno: I bet you that the only people who will be there at 8am will be the people who are not shooting the fireworks to begin with.

You can go any time. But you might want to take some bags. ;-)

sunshine

Beach Lover
May 1, 2005
south walton
I coordinated the Grayton clean-up last year. The amount of trash we collected was absolutely amazing! Quite a few sowallers (including Kurt) joined in the "good, clean fun". I do recommend wearing gloves. I picked up a piece of rubber and then realized what it was! Yikes! :eek:
Starting at 8 AM seems early, but by 10 or 11 when we were winding up it was HOT outside.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
I :clap_1: all of the beach cleaners! You know it is one of my "preferred" (necessary) activities when I am local. Steven found my trash gloves in the wayback of my car and asked what they were...I proudly told him they were my Hwy 98 pickup gloves!!! I will be with you in sowal spirit!

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
kurt said:
We don't want to sweep the beaches clean of natural materials.

How about sweeping up the natural materials AND adding advertising to the sand too! I saw this at a couple beaches on the Jersey shore:

Beach Billboard

John

Beach Fanatic
Dec 3, 2005
SoWal
I have a problem with the concept of cleaning up at 8am on July 5. I think that we should leave the debris on the beach so the revellers can see it the next day. Maybe then they would realize how much litter they created the prior evening. It makes no sense to "reward" these people with a clean beach the next day; a beach that is cleaned up while they sleep it off! They may never realize what a freakin' mess it was unless they have to walk through it. I say let them wallow in their own waste.

Couldn't we clean up on July 6?