Beach Cleanup July 5, 2006

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by Kurt Lischka, Jun 21, 2006.

1. kathydwells

kathydwells Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname

:bang: Is right SJ. Why can't people clean up their crap!!!!

2. BeachSteelers

BeachSteelers Beach Fanatic

How Bout don't shoot that crap off at the beach. Or at least clean up after yourself. Why must people leave their trash for others to pick up. Where's our beach/code enforement who seem not to give a crap about what crap they leave behind. In the words of Dean Wormer... Fat,Drunk and Stupid is no way to go through life! :bang:

3. 30A Skunkape

30A Skunkape Mr. Small Box

When I was a kid my neighbors dad used to send us out and he would give us a nickel for every pice of trash we could haul in. We could earn a few dollars and that seemed like a mint to us back then. Maybe we could recruit some sowaler kids to do this? Kids are not hung-over, move quickly, have sharp eyes and have tons of energy. :D

4. Bobby J

Bobby J Beach Fanatic

I will try to get the Surfrider Group involved. We had a great turnout in Destin! The kids were really into it!
    Bobby J

5. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Speaking of cleaning up trash, my 3 yr old nephew collected enough trash around Western Lake outflow to fill a garbage bag. Unfortunately, since he is only three, I was not able to remove this trash from the beach. See what happens to unattended tents. I also removed a float which was placed on the ground next to a trashcan. :bang::bang::bang: Kurt, those kayaks will probably still be left on the beach today. They were still out there at sunset.

I am getting tired of asking people to clean up after themselves. As of this week, I am taking action. Anyone have an extra truck which I can borrow? If I collect enough crap, I may begin selling it or making recycled art with it.

6. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

Thanks, once again for your dedication, SJ...it just makes me so sad and disappointed that these people were able to enjoy the beauty of the beaches and then leave this ugliness behind. I won't complain as much when I am there in the "off" season and pick up the small stuff.

7. aquaticbiology

aquaticbiology fishlips

i keep thinking about the hand-picking of garbage from the beach, and the king beach cleaner - how would you feel about a hand-cart or wheelbarrow type thing you could just push across the beach and it would clean everything out of the sand (except for the seaweed, unless you wanted it to)? - sounds like time for another trip to the patent attorney then some r&d - what a good excuse for having to go sowalin' - have to test the next new design!

8. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

I better like the idea of educating people to clean up after themselves.

9. Bobby J

Bobby J Beach Fanatic

Kids seem to respond to this soooo much better then adults. I get this blank stare when I try to discuss any sort of Beach clean up with adults. :confused: I tell the kids it is your beach and every time you leave take more then you brought. It is not good enough to just leave footprints. You gotta load something up.... If we start educating our youth about the importance of the beach early they will get it. It is kinda like the seatbelt situation. Kids get it. Adults did not grow up with that in their face. Kids always buckle up. You have to remind adults. If we teach kids early to pick up they will naturally pick up. They can show their parents how to pick up after themselves. After all it is their beach!

10. BeachSiO2

BeachSiO2 Beach Fanatic

In addition to the trash removal, we should have a beach cleanup of good things also to reward those that are picking up the trash. Only in sowal would good things actually last on the beach overnight without being taken by another visitor. At the public beach areas like Grayton, its not private property so the articles have been legally abandoned!! Speaking of which, I need a new umbrella...

11. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

I have an array of colors from which to choose. Do you have a particular color in mind.

12. BeachSiO2

BeachSiO2 Beach Fanatic

Actually, the more colorful, the better. You should open up a side job selling your beach wares :cool:

13. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

We own a beautiful turquoise umbrella now- HUGE- nice crank, quality. Bet the a$$holes that let it float around in the surf a few days really miss it.:rolling:

14. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Beach Fanatic

You know, this whole topic (not just trash, but waste) continually amazes me. Stand outside Publix and watch the quantity of food and beach paraphanalia hauled out. Then try to imagine that ALL the food gets eaten during the visit and ALL the beach trinkets get taken home afterwards.

I keep imagining that we set up a little building or two on space in some parking lot on 395 and 283 and fill them with all the little red pails, umbrellas, chairs, floats, balls, bikes, sand castle molds, and other perfectly useful stuff that people throw out when they go home. So when you're arriving for your week in SoWal, you stop by and pick up what you need. When you leave, you drop off what you don't want to take home with you. Can you imagine the delight of the little kids as they get neat stuff for free?

And the logistics would be harder, but how about doing something good with all that food?

POP! Back to reality.