Beach Condition at Seacrest/Sunset Villas

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by karen, Sep 7, 2005.

1. karen

karen Beach Comber

HI All!
    I have not been to our house in Seacrest Beach North since we were evacuated in early July. Luckily we've been rented 99% of the time. I have a renter going in next week who received a photo from a friend in Seagrove and she is very concerned about what they will encounter at the beach. Can anyone tell me (or show me a photo) of the beach in Seacrest (East of the Hilton house (?) and West of Rosemary)
    Congrats to Bud & Alley's on all the money raised...and thank you to anyone who can answer my question...

2. Sheila

Sheila SoWal Insider

Snellville, GA., Seacrest/Seagrove as often as we
    We will be arriving tomorrow evening. Will try and get picture in the a.m. on Friday and post. We are also in SCBN.

3. karen

karen Beach Comber

Excellent!
    I will pass that along to my renter. Is your house in Seacrest North?
    Thanks for taking the time to help
    Karen

4. Sheila

Sheila SoWal Insider

Yes we are in Seacrest Beach North.

5. ksherman

ksherman Beach Comber

Just returned from Seagrove and stayed in a house on the beach in Seagrove. We did quite a bit of looking around while down there and found that not much had changed since early summer (our last trip was July 23). The beaches still look a bit sad (just as they did earlier this year), but in many places along the beaches there is more sand. My only concern -- and it's a BIG one -- is that the FLIES were really bad! And if you don't know about the flies, oh my, oh my, oh my. My recommendation: take lots of bug spray -- the kind with 98%DEET. (The flies were so bad it was worth risking the stunted development of my children to keep them away!) Also, don't wait till you get down there to buy bug spray -- get it now and stock up! We had to drive 45 mintues into PC Beach to find a place that wasn't out. (Publix had to ship their supplies out to the gulf coast region hit by the hurricane.) Some locals told us over and over that the flies are only around for a day or so, but other locals told us it lasts a few weeks (and is often related to post-storm stuff). Despite the flies, we had a great time and enjoyed the area just like alwasy!@

6. ksherman

ksherman Beach Comber

But again, I MUST TELL YOU: be prepared, be very prepared!

7. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

The Dog Flies come and go with the wind. When the wind is blowing out of the north as it has for the last 8-9 days, the Dog Flies come to the beach. When the wind is out of the south, the Dog Flies fly away from the beach. Fairly simple, although making them not land on you is a real challenge, esp after you exit the Gulf waters.

8. Sheila

Sheila SoWal Insider

Hi Karen,

We did get over to the beach this a.m. took pictures......Can't upload due to leaving what we needed for the mini-mac at home. Beach looks good. None for the black peat exposed on our end of the beach. Our dunes are chewed up again. No sea oats left. But, the new access looks good. More sturdy construction than the previous stairs. If we can get the picyures uploaded later I will pm you.

The flies are really bad as per previous post on the board. But all in all a great day in So Wal! The water is beautiful!

9. Sheila

Sheila SoWal Insider

Here is a link to the pictures we took of Sunset Beach this morning. You can see the condition of the beach, the dunes and the new access stairs.

http://www.myfloridabeach.com/beach/

10. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

gttbm...I hit your link and got pop ups about hotels?!!!

11. Sheila

Sheila SoWal Insider

Actually, the husband did that post. I was out with the frog dog and his cute petite sidekick of a sister!

He got into the coconut rum this afternoon

http://www.myfloridacottage.com/beach/index.html should get you there.

12. Paula

Paula Beach Fanatic

On another thread, people are saying that spraying white vinegar on you is much more effective than bug spray, though you have to reapply it frequenty. I tried bug spray when I was there a few weeks ago and it didn't work. But next fall I'll definitely try the white vinegar if we're there during the fly season.

13. karen

karen Beach Comber

THANK YOU! I certainly appreciate you and your husbands efforts in helping to ease some renter fears...as well as our own! We can't make it down until mid-October but now I don't have to worry for another whole month. We own HAPPY HOUR and were one of the very first homes there. I would love it if you stopped by sometime and introduced yourselves. Could probably find a cocktail or two to share with you...thank you again...very much!! Karen

14. Sheila

Sheila SoWal Insider

We are going to be here for the month of October. We will make sure to stop by to say hello! We own Johnny's Hide-Away. We are right outside the gate to the pool. We have been here since Sept. 2001. I pass your house all the time when we walk our schnauzers.

See you soon!