• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SoWalSally

Beach Fanatic
Feb 19, 2005
By Rachel Kyler

Debris washing along the shores is causing concern for area residents and the county believes it could be a potential problem.
?We feel that this is a serious public threat,? said Walton County Planning Director Pat Blackshear.
After Tropical Storm Alberto, debris, such as boards and construction supplies, was scattered along area beaches.
?For all we know, it could be from New Orleans,? Blackshear said.
?Some was left from private projects,? added Commissioner Cindy Meadows.
The Planning Department is hoping to obtain a one-time cleanup permit from the Florida Department of Environmental Protection.
The Walton Board Of County Commissioners voted to pursue the necessary permits at its Tuesday meeting.
With turtle season underway, construction work is not allowed on area beaches. However, Blackshear assured commissioners the Planning Department would work with the Turtle Watch group to ensure the protection of the species.
In the future, Meadows does not want residents to use the nesting period to shirk their responsibility of maintaining their beachfront property.
Meadows wants the county to put residents on notice before turtle season begins and not allow homeowners to ?use it as an excuse to leave (the debris) there.?
?We have to make sure folks have their yards cleaned up,? Meadows said.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I have only my eyes to help guide me on this one, but I would put money on a bet stating that the construction debris on Blue Mtn Beach did not come from New Orleans. What the h#ll is Pat Blackshear talking about? Is she trying to be polite to Walton County Commissioner Ro Cuchens, whose piling company erected most of the walls in BMB and left crap all over the beach? Note, that Ro's company wasn't the only. Such as this one with construction debris.

P6120248.JPG

Notice the sign reading, (click photo below to enlarge) Quality job my a$$.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
:whack: ...why not just state the obvious? Why bring NOLA into a local problem? Shameful.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Sueshore said:
:whack: ...why not just state the obvious? Why bring NOLA into a local problem? Shameful.

Thank you Miss Kitty. Besides, I am sceptical that any trash floated away. I think most of it is piling up on our pothole pocked streets! :shock:

beachwatcher

Beach Comber
May 23, 2006
BMB
Smiling Joe is wrong as to where that debris came from. It wasn't A &R Stanley Marine and he should know that, as many pics as he has taken on the beach. Retract it, Smiling Joe. No reason to pick a fight with the wrong person. Look up the beach and you will see where it came from, same place you took the pic last week, and my reply to you was the contractor was notified X2 without response.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
beachwatcher said:
Smiling Joe is wrong as to where that debris came from. It wasn't A &R Stanley Marine and he should know that, as many pics as he has taken on the beach. Retract it, Smiling Joe. No reason to pick a fight with the wrong person. Look up the beach and you will see where it came from, same place you took the pic last week, and my reply to you was the contractor was notified X2 without response.

OK - why wasn't the seawall covered with the appropriate amount of sand at the proper slope? We shouldn't be able to see that sign should we? :dunno:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
beachwatcher said:
I am uncertain whether that really large piling was washed up from down the beach. I haven't noticed pieces that large moving around on the wave action we had thus far. Are you stating otherwise? I guess I could go back through the thousands of pictures I have taken and try to find the answer, but ... I don't think I will right now. If you are stating for a fact that this piling was not left by the crew at this particular jobsite, I will no reason to disbelieve you. I just call 'em like I see 'em. In this case I may be wrong, but I know that it didn't wash up from New Orleans. ;-)

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
kurt said:
OK - why wasn't the seawall covered with the appropriate amount of sand at the proper slope? We shouldn't be able to see that sign should we? :dunno:

Kurt...
Where did you hear this being a requirement (the covered part)? I do understand the proper slope requirement for "stabile" sand dunes (any sand that happens to be placed in front of the wall).

Thanks in advance.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
Smiling JOe said:
I have only my eyes to help guide me on this one, but I would put money on a bet stating that the construction debris on Blue Mtn Beach did not come from New Orleans. What the h#ll is Pat Blackshear talking about? Is she trying to be polite to Walton County Commissioner Ro Cuchens, whose piling company erected most of the walls in BMB and left crap all over the beach? Note, that Ro's company wasn't the only. Such as this one with construction debris.

P6120248.JPG

Notice the sign reading, (click photo below to enlarge) Quality job my a$$.

Smiling Joe,

On May 4th the following pic was taken. No debris seen (far left house in pic below) in front of the same house shown in your photograph. By the way, most people in BMB know that Stanley Marine was one of the FIRST contractors to complete the retaining wall in the area.

beachwatcher, I believe, is correct in their assessment of your post.

20050504BMB.jpg