1. Trouble logging in? Send a message with your username & email address for help.
    Dismiss Notice

Beach Nourishment Program Hits a Major Snag

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by Bob Hudson, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson Beach Fanatic

A federal judge has ruled that the Walton County "White Sand Ordinance" applies to the beach Renourishment project and that the sand from the borrow pit proposed for the source does NOT meet the White Sand Ordinance standards.

The ruling is below.

Attached Files:

2. Garner

Garner Beach Fanatic

Wow!

3. Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson Beach Fanatic

I think the "fat lady" has sung the last song !

4. Patriot Games

Patriot Games Beach Lover

Well what do you know, you mean Walton County actually has to follow it's own rules that it has lawfully adopted? Say it ain't so, they don't do business that way.

5. Misty

Misty Banned

If I understood this correctly, the sand from the borrow could not be placed on the Plaintiffs property, it doesn't say anything about the rest of the beach.

6. Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson Beach Fanatic

Nothing unique about the plaintiffs property. It woul appear that any property owner could seek the same prohibition.

7. Misty

Misty Banned

I agree...but that could get costly and the County already knows they can't win another one...but what ya wanna bet they will try? It's only taxpayer money.

And there goes the snow white public beaches...the tourists will follow. I do agree we need to re-nourish public beaches but the County needs to follow its own LDC.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  8. BeachSteelers

BeachSteelers Beach Fanatic

Can't let $250Milly of FED money not get passed around in paper bags, it's not their money! Plus, how much more they can skim off when the Big One comes and inevitably washes it all away it a day in a half. Way too much $$$ at stake, no Mob Org. could resist it.

9. Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson Beach Fanatic

Oh I believe a class action suit would solve that problem for the land owners.

10. Dawn

Dawn Beach Fanatic

That's ridiculous. While our white sand is a treasure, but people would still come here if it was darker. The western Walton beach project shows that it can be done without compromising sand quality. The problem is the 2nd or 3rd dredging down the road would likely be not as white, and less fine. Just look at Panama City Beach. They've done it a few times and it is now nothing near as nice as our sand. Although some say their sand will become our sand because of the western flow of water and sand down the coast.

11. John G

John G Beach Fanatic

Beach renourishment is D E A D.

12. Misty

Misty Banned

Yeah Dawn, just look at Panama City Beach! Look at all the problems they have on their beaches too. You keep talking like this and you're going to have all your liberal buddies that don't want anyone north of the bay (including tourists or "rednecks") ready to barricade the bridge and secede. :floor: They sure the hell don't want "nothing near as nice as our sand" (your words) but they do want the County to follow its own LDC.

13. BlueMtnBeachVagrant

BlueMtnBeachVagrant Beach Fanatic

You're right - for now.

This article just adds a little color to the court's ruling that is linked in the first post of this thread:
    Court: South Walton beach restoration cannot go forward

So the question now becomes how long can the TDC continue to collect and set aside bed tax money for beach nourishment that may not ever happen? And what happens to the collected money in the meantime? Anyone know?

14. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

Might as well spend it on marketing.

15. Danny Glidewell

Danny Glidewell Beach Fanatic

This is the 64 dollar question. The money IMHO should go directly to purchasing additional beach frontage for more access and/or purchasing land to be used for parking. With the millions in reserve already we could seriously improve access and parking along all of our beaches and also improve amenities such as walkovers and bathrooms. We could improve the experience for our visitors and residents alike. Not one penny should go for overhead or marketing or spent anywhere but on the public beaches.

16. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

So sending most of the higher ups at the TDC on an all expenses paid trip to New Orleans, Dallas and Nashville over the past 3 weeks was a bad use of tax dollars? /sarcasm off/

Is the money collected statutorily directed at beach nourishment?

I'd like to see the nourishment happen, but I know that greed has no bounds and I can't wait for those folks homes to fall in the gulf.

17. John G

John G Beach Fanatic

If their homes did fall into the gulf, they will still own their property and I'm sure look to keep you off it...

18. Misty

Misty Banned

I'd like to see beach nourishment done according to the Counties LDC and I don't give a hoot about private property. People buy houses on the beach, wanna claim all the land in front of it making it their property rather than public land have no right to expect the government should bail them out in the event of a natural disaster.

19. Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson Beach Fanatic

5. To finance beach park facilities or beach improvement, maintenance, renourishment, restoration, and erosion control, including shoreline protection, enhancement, cleanup, or restoration of inland lakes and rivers to which there is public access as those uses relate to the physical preservation of the beach, shoreline, or inland lake or river. However, any funds identified by a county as the local matching source for beach renourishment, restoration, or erosion control projects included in the long-range budget plan of the state’s Beach Management Plan, pursuant to s. 161.091, or funds contractually obligated by a county in the financial plan for a federally authorized shore protection project may not be used or loaned for any other purpose. In counties of fewer than 100,000 population, up to 10 percent of the revenues from the tourist development tax may be used for beach park facilities

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  20. NotDeadYet

NotDeadYet Beach Fanatic

The extra half cent was identified as the local matching source, was it not? So if it can't be used for any other purpose does it just sit in a bank somewhere till the cows come home??