• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Beach Info

Beach Crab
Dec 18, 2007
The Beaches of South Walton TDC is gearing up for their 2008 Beach Safety Campaign. This year, we want to take the program to the next level by providing real life stories of residents or visitors surviving a rip current. We want to know how it feels, what you did you escape and anything else you'd like to share about your experience. If you have story, please e-mail tlouthain@beachesofsouthwalton.com.

Thanks for helping us improve our campaign.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I've survived several. Actually, when kayaking back through the surf, the rip currents are the best way to get past the break without much effort. On the thought of safety, I think you guys should replace the dbl red flag, which has an icon of a swimmer with a line through it, with a red or hyper orange flag, flying under a black flag bearing the skull and crossbones, which most people know as the symbol of death. You may think this thought is a bit out there, but I think it might draw more people's attention, and get them to at least look at the flag legends posted below the flags.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Sadly, I think a skull & crossbones would result in many instances of "ooh, look at the pirate flag".

I don't know HOW they can make the signs/flags more obvious or simpler to understand - IMO it's as simple and pervasive as it can get and Darwinism just needs to kick in at some point.

Perhaps a "Burma Shave" type sign campaign down 331? :dunno:

Beach Info

Beach Crab
Dec 18, 2007
Thanks for your input. We only wish it was as obvious as we think. As far as the flag warning colors go, we use the official flag system of the Florida Department of Environmental Protection. Whether a visitor comes to South Walton or South Florida the flag colors and meanings are consistent. These flag colors are also used by local media and the Weather Channel. What we need to do is highlight the importance of obeying the flag colors.

Smiling Joe, would you be willing to discuss what it feels like to be caught in a rip and how you escaped?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I'd have to make up the scary stuff, because I don't think it is scary at all if you know how to wait it out. I'm not sure how to get the seriousness across to the public, which for the most part is totally unaware of what to do when caught in a rip current. Maybe video taping someone getting swept out by a rip current would help teach people how to escape, but I don't know many tourists who would watch it. Maybe someone could do a quick documentary, interviewing family members of people who drowned due to rip currents. Mix in some footage of how to wait them out, or swim parallel to shore. Perhaps the local movie theaters could show the quick clip in the commercials prior to the feature. Seems like many beach goers go to the movies while on vacation. Maybe they could also be distributed by the TDC to every rental unit, to keep in the rooms, with the hope that maybe some of the people will watch it at some point in time.

seacrestkristi

Beach Fanatic
Nov 27, 2005
I'm glad TDC is doing this, and I think that SJ's idea is a grayt one about the video. SJ, tell us more please. How far did you ever get pulled out. What do you mean by wait it out? Do you mean, don't panic, remain calm, and let it pull you. Is it easy to stay on top if you don't panic, or do they pull you under too? That's the part that freaks me out, if it pulled me under. Otherwise, I'm pretty good at staying calm in emergencies otherwise. I put the newspaper diagram and the crabby pamphlet in my rental. Now if only I could rent the thing. :D

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Undertow and rip current are two different things. Undertow has a downward pull and rip current has an outward flow. I've never swam into ripcurrents. I have used ripcurrents to get my kayak through the waves, and the rip currents will basically shoot you away from the beach fairly quickly, so its no wonder that people freak out if they are caught in them. The wait it out means just that. Tread water. On calm days, I can almost float in the Gulf without doing anything. It doesn't take much effort to tread water if you are calm about it. The rip currents typically don't extend too far out, and you will eventually get pushed out and back to shore by the waves, if you are calm and relaxed and just treading water. I'll gladly demonstrate this using my kayak, without paddling, except for balance, if someone wants to tape it, if they thought it would be helpful in saving lives. I bet we could even get some SoWal lifeguards to give an example in the water. I don't like the swimming with the Sharks, so I'll stick to the kayak, ; ) otherwise....

Note that for faster return to the beach, it is recommended that one, who gets swept out by a rip current, swim parallel to the beach, to escape the push of the rip current. Then, once out of the current (and you will know when you are out), swim with the waves toward the shore.

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Thanks for your input. We only wish it was as obvious as we think. As far as the flag warning colors go, we use the official flag system of the Florida Department of Environmental Protection. Whether a visitor comes to South Walton or South Florida the flag colors and meanings are consistent. These flag colors are also used by local media and the Weather Channel. What we need to do is highlight the importance of obeying the flag colors.

Smiling Joe, would you be willing to discuss what it feels like to be caught in a rip and how you escaped?

I have a friend who I work with who almost drowned a couple years ago while trying to save some kids from an undertow or rip current. He wound up being airlifted to Pensacola. Fortunately, all survived. He may be willing to relate his story...

Aug 30, 2007
3rd Rock from the sun
The Beaches of South Walton TDC is gearing up for their 2008 Beach Safety Campaign. This year, we want to take the program to the next level by providing real life stories of residents or visitors surviving a rip current. We want to know how it feels, what you did you escape and anything else you'd like to share about your experience. If you have story, please e-mail tlouthain@beachesofsouthwalton.com.

Thanks for helping us improve our campaign.

I would like to offer our media outlets to share your information to others as well. Please feel free to call me or PM me to see what we can do to help make the public aware. We have 3 TV stations and 4 Radio stations currently that can help spread this information not only in this area but in South Alabama and Mississippi as well. My cell # is 334-488-4001 or PM me.