• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Beach Info, I'm a bit wimpy when it comes to all things cold, unless it is a cold beer. We'll have to wait til the water warms a bit in Spring before I get out there. You can reach me by pm on here.

newyorker

Beach Lover
Jul 18, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Mr. New Yorker (actually a proud Bostonian) got caught about four years ago when we were at SOWAL in a rip current. He's not a strong swimmer, but he knew NOT to fight it, and he swam parallel to the to beach for some time, before it released him and he was able to glide into the shore and then walk back to our beach blanket. Its become a legend in our family--macho son knows this well now. We love SOWAL, but we respect the fact that the ocean dictates the rules, not us.

tiredtaxpayer

Beach Crab
Oct 18, 2007
You can do almost everything, but some idiot will always feel superior to mother nature and warnings and go in. Currently every renter that comes into our office is forcible made to go over the flag system pamphlet (we always give kids the seymore coloring book since they love to point out mommy or daddy is doing something there not supposed to), we make it clear that the aussie guy will arrest them if they don't listen, we have magnets on the fridge, we put the window clings on the sliding glass doors and front door (if glass), and yet some people still don't get it. How about a forced orientation as they come down 331? They have to pull in, watch a video, and take a 10 question test? I like the idea of a DVD in rental units, but then you have people that will take them as mementos. The other issue with the DVD would be the cost, there are probably 4k-5k rental units in South Walton.

Alas, [sigh] another one trying to delegate common sense or any sense at all.
First of all, the "aussie" guy has NO arrest powers... period, thank god. That is is you would need to get him on a day when he's actually somewhere in south walton and not on some "walkabout."

Secondly, there is "Forced orientation" its called the Gulag or the inquision or some other silly foreign word like that and I would prefer not to have to denigrate myself in such a manner in the name of "beach saftey."

Speaking of beach saftey, I think I would rather be waterboarded than be exposed to another "wave" of material that few people ever follow. Is there a need for information? Sure, but to try and rationalize the expense of stolen taxpayer dollars by the TDC is frivoluous and foolhardy. We are in the midst of a tax revolt [rollback] and all the government types are walking around with blinders on, a finger in both ears goin "La,la,la,la,la,la,la,la,la. When I go to the mountains and see the "Warning bears about" sign I don't turn around and run back to the car after driving for eight hours, I'm going for a walk. The same gos for the guy coming to the beach, he's goin in the water. Give him the info, what he does with it is his problem.

John

Beach Fanatic
Dec 3, 2005
SoWal
I have always wondered why "victims" who go out when a red or double red flag is flying are not charged for the cost of rescuing them?

In Colorado, at the hiking/cycling trail heads, they have signs that say, in effect, "if we have to come rescue you, we will charge you the cost of the rescue". It's a sober reminder of the dangers in nature and the very real cost of trained rescue personnel and equipment.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
In Colorado, at the hiking/cycling trail heads, they have signs that say, in effect, "if we have to come rescue you, we will charge you the cost of the rescue". It's a sober reminder of the dangers in nature and the very real cost of trained rescue personnel and equipment.

That's kind of what we need here. Everytime someone gets dragged out of the water they give some excuse like, "I didn't know". I'm just curious what part of this Earth is red or double red a symbol for everythings great get on in?

Gimeeabreak

Beach Crab
Jan 24, 2008
Alas, [sigh] another one trying to delegate common sense or any sense at all.
First of all, the "aussie" guy has NO arrest powers... period, thank god. That is is you would need to get him on a day when he's actually somewhere in south walton and not on some "walkabout."

Secondly, there is "Forced orientation" its called the Gulag or the inquision or some other silly foreign word like that and I would prefer not to have to denigrate myself in such a manner in the name of "beach saftey."

Who are you to say something about the "Aussie" guy? If you feel you can do the job better, that you should do it then. Feel free to not denigrate yourself. Take a swim in red flag conditions or even better, take a long "walkabout" off a short pier. Please.

Yahoodie

Beach Lover
Nov 25, 2007

This is a grand idea. Then perhaps those people who say "I'm a strong swimmer, I can handle anything; I have swum in both oceans with much bigger surf!" will think a little as their boasting could cost them $$$

Our well-trained lifeguards gladly risk their lives for people who have GONE INTO THE WATER RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE DOUBLE RED FLAGS. swgb is correct in stating that these "Victims" say "They didn't know". I had someone tell me she "didn't think the red flags applied to where she was" and she was oh, about 20 FEET from the double red flags..amazing isn't it?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
This is a grand idea. Then perhaps those people who say "I'm a strong swimmer, I can handle anything; I have swum in both oceans with much bigger surf!" will think a little as their boasting could cost them $$$
I can see how costs of a search and rescue in the mountains might be costly, but I don't think that most beachgoers would believe that the a lifeguard swimming out for a rescue would be too expensive. I know other people are called in, but I haven't heard of helicopters performing rescues around here.