• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

dynamitedaddy

Beach Comber
Aug 18, 2009
I inquired and was told it is about how the tax collector issues permits and who it, not about stopping people from driving on the beach.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
I inquired and was told it is about how the tax collector issues permits and who it, not about stopping people from driving on the beach.

If they are going to stop people from building bonfires from May until November because of the turtles, then they ought to stop them from driving on the beach. But it is good that they are looking at the patently unconstitutional requirements that they have implemented for driving permits. I remember asking a commissioner about that years ago and he said he needed to have something special reserved for walton county property owners that the tourist could not do also.

So much for fairness and the US Constitution.

Yzarctoo

Beach Fanatic
Mar 6, 2009
OK...take back Stop

OK
Limited number of permits issued...a change in the rules as to who might or might not be qualified to get permit...maybe less permits...maybe wrong to say stop driving on beach...but the other two Walton beaches that folks could drive on disappeared without too much fan fare...after one of these type meetings where the driving on beach ordinance was being looked at....I would still stay on top of it.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
I know nothing about it one way or the other...except that most of us were outraged way back when we were stopped from driving on the beach whereever we could (except for state parks, and the only one at that point was Grayton). So, a compromise was reached for Grayton and Inlet Beach. The access at One Seagrove Place stayed open for a time (that was a fun hill to be in the back of a truck on!) Then runoff or something closed it. A turtle took up labor and delivery at the Inlet Beach access, or so we were told. So, that left Grayton.

The primary reason for keeping driving accesses was so that residents and those who had summer homes here could launch boats. Without the accesses, there is nowhere in Walton County to launch directly into the Gulf, and it's a hail of a long way around and back via the Bay. The vehicle w/o boat permits were just to keep a semblance of how it's always been for those who have lived here or invested here.

I haven't heard what is or isn't being looked at, but the number of permits has increased exponentionally over the last 15 years and it's basically a zoo out there. When our office still issued them, we had complaints about people with "ugly boat trailers" blocking the view of the Gulf. We also would get people who would become visibly upset after paying for their permit and then reading the paperwork explaining that you can only drive 500 feet east and west. There is also a contingent that has no plans to drive on the beach, but that decal is a status symbol.

If it has to be restricted any further, keep the boat launch open. But perhaps that should be the only reason.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
If they are going to stop people from building bonfires from May until November because of the turtles, then they ought to stop them from driving on the beach. But it is good that they are looking at the patently unconstitutional requirements that they have implemented for driving permits. I remember asking a commissioner about that years ago and he said he needed to have something special reserved for walton county property owners that the tourist could not do also.

So much for fairness and the US Constitution.

please wrobert. Driving on the beach is a privilege for property-owning locals who want to pay to do so. We live here year round and many of us enjoy the convenience of driving our kayaks and chairs down to the beach several times a week. permits need to be limited - and this is a totally fair and common sense way to do it. It is our county and our responsibility to protect our beaches and ourselves from the masses of unsafe/inexperienced beach drivers from all over the country. Tourists on the roads are bad enough sometimes. you really think they need to drive on our beaches? this is not a constitutional issue. its a local safety, good common sense issue.

now, whether or not we need to continue having even locals drive on the beach is another matter entirely. The number of cars/trucks on the beach in the last 5 years or so has gotten out of hand during peak months. I believe it is becoming unsafe, at least during June and July, and big holidays such as Memorial Day.

can you even imagine if every local and every visitor was allowed access to the beach via 4-wheel car or truck? we would have even more stuck vehicles, and before you know it, people will just abandon stuck cars out in the sand along with their BA tents. BAD idea. Let's not invite disaster to our beaches.

Robert - do you live anywhere near here? just wondering.

Last edited:

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
If I were a local, I wouldn't like a "no vehicles except for boat launching" rule. It's a long way to the potty if you're at the edge of the water on Grayton Beach and need to go. Plus it's a long walk to/from the beach for little kids and old folks.

Not far at all if you are at Gulfview Heights, really close if you are at Fort Panic, or even Inlet Beach with their new bathrooms. btw, Grayton has no public bathrooms at all, yet. ;-)

The only reason Grayton is groovy is that people can drive and it's like old home week down there. I grew up on the beach at Grayton, but between the truck traffic and the sheer number of people, I do not go to the beach there anymore except for special occasions. Far too crowded.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
please wrobert. Driving on the beach is a privilege for property-owning locals who want to pay to do so. We live here year round and many of us enjoy the convenience of driving our kayaks and chairs down to the beach several times a week. permits need to be limited - and this is a totally fair and common sense way to do it. It is our county and our responsibility to protect our beaches and ourselves from the masses of unsafe/inexperienced beach drivers from all over the country. Tourists on the roads are bad enough sometimes. you really think they need to drive on our beaches? this is not a constitutional issue. its a local safety, good common sense issue.

now, whether or not we need to continue having even locals drive on the beach is another matter entirely. The number of cars/trucks on the beach in the last 5 years or so has gotten out of hand during peak months. I believe it is becoming unsafe, at least during June and July, and big holidays such as Memorial Day.

can you even imagine if every local and every visitor was allowed access to the beach via 4-wheel car or truck? we would have even more stuck vehicles, and before you know it, people will just abandon stuck cars out in the sand along with their BA tents. BAD idea. Let's not invite disaster to our beaches.

Robert - do you live anywhere near here? just wondering.

Yes. And I grew up on Pensacola Beach. I remember the dunes we had growing up and the work we all did destroying them as driving was allowed on the beach. Thankfully that sort of driving was finally stopped, but alas, it did not matter, the developers finally finished the job that my parents started. But boy did we have fun.

I have no problem with driving on the beach, I have a problem with the hypocrisy. They want to ban bonfires because they hurt the turtles, yet driving does not? We can get a permit to drive on the beach if we own property, not even close to the beach, just somewhere in Walton County? Those conditions are ludicrous and unconstitutional. But everyone talks about wanting to follow the law of the land, except we want an exception for driving on the beach. Hypocrisy abounds. If someone wants a permit I will sell you some Walton County dirt, cheap, so you can qualify before the changes take affect.

What is wrong with driving on the beach like they do in Daytona? Everyone pays a toll and drives away? I know, I know, we need to make sure that people that drive on the beach have a vehicle that can drive on the beach so they do not get stuck, why? If they want to try it, let them try it. We could make just as much money with a guvment wrecker that charges $500 to pull you out if you are stupid enough to try.

But the right thing to do would be to stop the driving in order to protect the environment and put some restrooms in at Grayton. Talk about something that is needed.