• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
NOTICE of PUBLIC HEARING
You are hereby notified of a Public Hearing to be held March 10, 2015 at 3:00 PM, or soon thereafter, to consider:

AN ORDINANCE AMENDING WALTON CODE OF ORDINANCES SECTION 22-60; FINDING THAT THE COUNTY HAS THE POWER TO REGULATE THE PROVISION OF GOODS AND SERVICES BY PRIVATE VENDORS MAKING USE OF THE PUBLIC INTEREST ON THE BEACH; AMENDING THE RULES AND REGULATIONS RELATING TO PRIVATE VENDORS ON THE BEACH

The Meeting will be held at the Walton County Courthouse Annex located at 31 Coastal Centre Blvd., Santa Rosa Beach, FL.

If anyone decides to appeal a decision of the Board with respect to this meeting that person must ensure that a verbatim record of the meeting is made.

In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, persons needing a special accommodation to participate in this proceeding should contact the Board of County Commissioners of Walton County no later than seven days prior to the proceeding at the address given in this notice or phone (850) 892-8155.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
It must be nice to use the public beach for your business location- and pay virtually no rent and have few rules. It's time. Other beach communities have rules, our community has grown enough in size that it is time.

Last edited:

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
The devil is in the details. How will it be enforced? The track record for equally enforcing ordinances is not so good. How much will it cost? Will lack of competition impact prices and quality of services? Will lack of services at the smaller accesses create more junk left on the beach? How will this effect the availability of jobs for high school/college age individuals? I am not opposed to standards, I just wonder are we going too far with this proposal.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
The devil is in the details. How will it be enforced? The track record for equally enforcing ordinances is not so good. How much will it cost? Will lack of competition impact prices and quality of services? Will lack of services at the smaller accesses create more junk left on the beach? How will this effect the availability of jobs for high school/college age individuals? I am not opposed to standards, I just wonder are we going too far with this proposal.

Good questions. But, really, we just need there to be very few vendors anywhere on the beach. Part of keeping our beaches beautiful and free of "stuff" is to keep them commercial free.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I have a suggestion. Allow no chair set-ups on public beaches or limit such to only one or two vendors. Those set up on private beaches such as Adagio, are controlled by the individual enities. They only allow those vendors to set up that they approve, as far as I am aware. At my complex, the individual renters can call advertiised vendors for services.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I have a suggestion. Allow no chair set-ups on public beaches or limit such to only one or two vendors. Those set up on private beaches such as Adagio, are controlled by the individual enities. They only allow those vendors to set up that they approve, as far as I am aware. At my complex, the individual renters can call advertiised vendors for services.

I'm with you all the way.

There was a petition put out recently circulating facebook against the proposed vendor ordinance. It was so ridiculous, over the top stating that the restrictions on vendors will cause more traffic on the roads, more crowding on beaches, etc. I didn't even read it all, it was just so badly written (by a vendor I assume) that I don't think anyone could get behind it.