• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
My friend David D just called and said he saw one running across 30A, south toward the campground. Time to start tying food up in the trees and securing all garbage at GBSP.

kkddbb

Banned
May 13, 2009
the other day while walking trails in the Pt Washington woods, I started thinking about the black bears of SoWal - recently spotted here and there. eeek. made me a tad walk faster!

im on the pt washington trails all the time and bears arent the only things to keep an eye out for..... be cautious this time of year. but than again, i fear the hunters more than their prey

grace

Beach Fanatic
Jul 19, 2007
here & now
im on the pt washington trails all the time and bears arent the only things to keep an eye out for..... be cautious this time of year. but than again, i fear the hunters more than their prey
me too.
on a recent run i came upon a momma sow and 10-15 little piglets.
she was not happy about having to move her arse.
those little one sure did look tasty though.;-)

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com

very true! I guess I've lived here so long I no longer worry much about snakes, gators (some trails run next to prime gator country back near my hood), and other wildlife. I know they do not want anything to do with me any more than I do with them. I guess I have never thought of black bears being one of those animals I just might see some day up close. saw one ages ago in Indian Pass digging in a dumpster - but I was safe in my car.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
We could always consider putting some poison in an airplane sprayer and kill em.

(sarcasm off)

DavidD

Beach Fanatic
Jul 23, 2008
Seagrove
www.davidDdesign.com
Sorry it took me until this morning to talk about the bear sighting. Thanks Kurt for posting it.
Yesterday about 6:30 pm I was driving past the park entrance on 30A and not too far before the bridge (I think near the Ranger house), I spotted a medium/large sized black animal lope quickly across the street, heading south. At first I thought it was a giant, ungroomed, black standard poodle, or some kind of dog, but it wasn't running quite right and it had larger hind quarters. Then I realized it was a bear! I was blown away. I've lived here for about 14 years and have seen lots of animals (deer, coyote, fox, beaver, pigs, snakes) but this is my first bear sighting.
As soon as it crossed the road and went a little ways into the brush it stopped to hide. I drove back and spotted it again for a second before it hid deeper in the bushes.
I know that some people might freak out at a bear sighting, but I am glad to see wildlife still thriving in SoWal. The last beaver I saw near/on 30A was almost 10 years ago (and it was roadkill).

Franny

Beach Fanatic
Mar 27, 2005
Pt. Washington
Sorry it took me until this morning to talk about the bear sighting. Thanks Kurt for posting it.
Yesterday about 6:30 pm I was driving past the park entrance on 30A and not too far before the bridge (I think near the Ranger house), I spotted a medium/large sized black animal lope quickly across the street, heading south. At first I thought it was a giant, ungroomed, black standard poodle, or some kind of dog, but it wasn't running quite right and it had larger hind quarters. Then I realized it was a bear! I was blown away. I've lived here for about 14 years and have seen lots of animals (deer, coyote, fox, beaver, pigs, snakes) but this is my first bear sighting.
As soon as it crossed the road and went a little ways into the brush it stopped to hide. I drove back and spotted it again for a second before it hid deeper in the bushes.
I know that some people might freak out at a bear sighting, but I am glad to see wildlife still thriving in SoWal. The last beaver I saw near/on 30A was almost 10 years ago (and it was roadkill).

That is exactly how I felt when we saw the bear near cr 395. It's just amazing!:D