• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

elgordoboy

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2007
I no longer stay in Dune Allen
I saw that the other day and my heart dropped. I guess we will be in Iran by the middle of the summer.

Admiral Fallon was a true American who had more sense than any military leader we have had in quite some time.:cry:
I saw this stated by your Dr. Roberts. I am going to base my thoughts on the rest of his material I was reading on this particular action. If we attack Iran as he and you say then I will not only buy a gun, I will buy a howitzer and build a pillbox in the front yard. If we do not, then I will cease to be alarmed by alarmists henceforth and make cyber-faces (nyah nyah like) at both you and the Dr.

Capricious

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
I do believe that the meltdown has finally arrived.

Strange moves by the Fed such as bail-outs of non-bank
entities and Sunday-evening rate cuts may generate
modest temporary positive reactions from "Wall Street," but the
trend is down.

Anyone care to debate whether or not we are in a recession?

"It's already here !"

Bill Paxton, "Twister," 1996
(Appropriate quote considering the weather of late.)

sandybanks

Beach Fanatic
Mar 15, 2008
In a nice place
That brought a smile to my face. I hope that Dr. Roberts is wrong, but it doesn't look like it.

If you have money in the stock market, you may want to think about buying some gold and silver coins. It is my opinion this is just starting and will be a bumpy ride for those who leave their money in the markets.

I say this with all sincerity, buy some freeze dried food and store it just in case this thing gets real ugly. I have started preparing about 6 months ago.

If I am wrong you will have some food to go camping with in the future.

Capricious

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
".... $2 is a real surprise..

i know many people who worked there, and have a good chunk of life savings tied up in BSC stock...."

No one learned from Enron?

YoungFT

Beach Lover
Aug 1, 2006
I try to be the optimist and welcome anyone's well reasoned argument for why I should still be optimistic but today's news on Bear Sterns is an indication that the nature of our economy is not a "slowdown" but it is becoming a "full blown catastrophe".

I encourage any of you to look up Prof. Nouriel Roubini's "The Rising Risk of a Systemic Financial Meltdown: The Twelve Steps to Financial Disaster" He presented this scenario at Davos and has demonstrated frighteningly precise insights to how this has and will continue to unfold. I only hope he took this analysis to the next step and suggested some ways to manage through, but alas, he has not.

In a nutshell, the 12 steps are as follows:

1. A severe recession which he states started in December; more severe and longer than those in the past - housing prices likely to drop 20-30% from peak (STARTED)

2. Extend subprime mess to the broader mortgage mess - this will not only be the LIAR LOANS but all loans with less than 20% equity may find themselves in a negative position (STARTED - Spreads are widening at all quality grades)

3. Mortgage losses will then extend to credit card, auto loan, student loans - large banks and small banks take the hit (STARTED - 4Qbank earnings all pointed to deterioration in credit cards)

4. Monoline credit insurers losses will mount (FITCH, MBIA) driving down values of assets on bank balance sheets, increasing additional losses and hurting the overall stock market (STARTED - while ratings have been affirmed for some, it's only time before that's re-examined)

5. Commercial Real Estate lending gets hit (STARTED - let's see if those large tracts in Walton get sold and closed - even if its people with money who are bidding, you always want to use the bank's money to buy and hold real estate, let's see if it's in the deal)

6. Large regional or national lender goes belly-up (STARTED - look at the stock prices of Nat City or WaMu)

7. The banks start taking large losses on their leveraged loan portfolios that were used to generate many of those LBO transactions these past 3 years (STARTED - Carlyle Group is just the start)

8. Corporate loan defaults will explode in 2008 because of the recession; there are many good corporations out there, but the week ones will find it hard to refinance (STARTED - Spreads are approaching 1000 bps - unheard of rates)

9. The "shadow" financial system gets in trouble. (STARTED - this is the area Bear Sterns played in and one Warren Buffett warned us about - not sure how many of these the Fed will offer to bail out with Banks)

10. Stock market will reach levels that would indicate a severe recession (look for large drops this week after any preventive noise slows down)

11. Credit pricing will seize up and no government intervention will convince banks to start lending again

12. Writedowns, Margin calls, Losses will be a visious cycle - many firms will become insolvent

His final word - while opportunities exist, it appears that one should be prepared for a systemic financial crisis.

http://www.rgemonitor.com/index.php

Other than that, have an amazing Happy St. Patrick's Day! :D

cardogpal

Beach Comber
Mar 9, 2008
Nashvile
Yikes!!! What scares me is that I have lived through several recessions, but I don't ever recall things coming unglued this fast. Maybe information just moves faster. Might be time to sell everything into a "sucker rally" (if there is one) and try to duck equities exposure altogether for a while. I think I'd rather pay the cap gains and sleep better at night. As this problem continues to spool out, cash will be king (even the beleaguered dollar). Anybody on the forum remember the Penn Square Bank debacle that brought down Continental Illinois and Manny Hanny...?

goofer

Beach Fanatic
Feb 21, 2005
That brought a smile to my face. I hope that Dr. Roberts is wrong, but it doesn't look like it.

If you have money in the stock market, you may want to think about buying some gold and silver coins. It is my opinion this is just starting and will be a bumpy ride for those who leave their money in the markets.

I say this with all sincerity, buy some freeze dried food and store it just in case this thing gets real ugly. I have started preparing about 6 months ago.

If I am wrong you will have some food to go camping with in the future.

These are the sentiments that occur at a bottom. If the mkt is down more than 600 Dow points tomorrow on heavy volume ( more than 4 billion shares ) that could mark the selling climax. Companies like AT&T General Electric Proctor and Gamble Johnson and Johnson Exxon and Pepsi etc are insulated from the credit mess. On Monday I would be bidding for those stocks at 5%-10% below the price they closed on Friday.

elgordoboy

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2007
I no longer stay in Dune Allen
This thread is basically terrifying. I keep coming back and checking someone would offer a convincing rebuttal so I can sleep.
Old chinese curse "May you live in interesting times". In my calmer moments I wonder what I really have to be scared of. I have my health. To paraphrase Thoreau (I believe it was he) Security doesn't come from having things, it comes from knowing you can do without them.