• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
So is "W", but some people still listen to him.

I might add that only a few months ago, those who claimed
a recession was imminent were few.

Now they are many.

And last week the book value of Bear was $80.00/ share

This analogy doesn't make sense ... unless you think we should be listening to what W has to say. I don't think Granville has the power to "move markets" anymore.

There is a big difference between saying "this is a recession" and "this is going to be the worst market crash of all time." Hyperbole doesn't help anyone, except maybe headline writers.

Capricious

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
This analogy doesn't make sense ... unless you think we should be listening to what W has to say. I don't think Granville has the power to "move markets" anymore.

There is a big difference between saying "this is a recession" and "this is going to be the worst market crash of all time." Hyperbole doesn't help anyone, except maybe headline writers.

If things are going so well, why is the Fed considering this:

"The Fed may also decide as early as tomorrow to start outright purchases of mortgage-backed securities, said Vincent Reinhart, former director of the Fed's monetary-affairs decision. Some investors have been clamoring for the Fed to make such a move, and the recent measures fell short of that step."

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601068&sid=a8JhRTZjidh8&refer=home

Since this is only a recession, certainly you will not mind having YOUR
tax dollars so utilized.

elgordoboy

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2007
I no longer stay in Dune Allen
If things are going so well, why is the Fed considering this:

"The Fed may also decide as early as tomorrow to start outright purchases of mortgage-backed securities, said Vincent Reinhart, former director of the Fed's monetary-affairs decision. Some investors have been clamoring for the Fed to make such a move, and the recent measures fell short of that step."

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601068&sid=a8JhRTZjidh8&refer=home

Since this is only a recession, certainly you will not mind having YOUR
tax dollars so utilized.
Where did you read in TFT's post you quoted that "things are going so well"?

Capricious

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
"...Where did you read in TFT's post you quoted that "things are going so well"? ..."

A recession would be "good news" compared to the other
possibilities/probabilities.

The Fed has taken several extraordinary measures over
the past few weeks, and is considering even more.

An "ordinary" recession would never justify such measures.

elgordoboy

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2007
"...Where did you read in TFT's post you quoted that "things are going so well"? ..."

I must have been unclear.

edited*The reason I ask is because when you do come and post you copy and paste ad nauseum and the above is reflection of your reading comprehenison....you are suspect*

Last edited:

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
I must have been unclear.

Thank you!

All I am saying is I am not going to take the word of an old guy who has spent his professional life looking for attention and is jumping at the chance to get more of it now. You have to find a better "sky is falling" source than that.

That said, like Punzy I have limited economic expertise, but this how things look to me:

1) We don't have enough oil for independence, we don't make that much stuff anymore, so about the only thing Americans have offered the world lately (besides our military force) is the willingness to purchase a bunch of stuff.

2) Americans aren't buying as much stuff anymore and will soon be buying even less.

3) Dollar is falling as our economy loses value because consumers aren't propping it up.

4) A whole lot of the stuff in item 1 was bought on credit.

5) Less buying power means less of an ability to pay people back.

What happens from here on out is anyone's guess, but I don't have confidence in the Fed. What stinks is I was trying to figure out today the best way to ride it all out (besides getting rid of debt). Cash reserves are great but if the Fed is pumping $ in, isn't it silly to hold on to cash since inflation is inevitable? The fate of the S&P 500 is questionable, buying gold seems dumb because it's already gone up so much, no one wants to buy real estate. I'm not sure about bonds or international funds. We have some of each. (Individual stocks are not our thing -- we have nowhere near enough time to research and keep up with them.)

I'm glad I'm not retiring in 5 or 10 years, but in deciding whether we should make any changes, we decided to just let it ride out. Which really doesn't seem that smart, but oh well. :dunno:

Last edited:

elgordoboy

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2007
Thank you!

All I am saying is I am not going to take the word of an old guy who has spent his professional life looking for attention and is jumping at the chance to get more of it now. You have to find a better "sky is falling" source than that.

That said, like Punzy I have limited economic expertise, but this how things look to me:

1) We don't have enough oil for independence, we don't make that much stuff anymore, so about the only thing Americans have offered the world lately (besides our military force) is the willingness to purchase a bunch of stuff.

2) Americans aren't buying as much stuff anymore and will soon be buying even less.

3) Dollar is falling as our economy loses value because consumers aren't propping it up.

What happens from here on out is anyone's guess, but I don't have confidence in the Fed. What stinks is I was trying to figure out today the best way to ride it all out (besides getting rid of debt). Cash reserves are great but if the Fed is pumping $ in, isn't it silly to hold on to cash since inflation is inevitable? The fate of the S&P 500 is questionable, buying gold seems dumb because it's already gone up so much, no one wants to buy real estate. I'm not sure about bonds or international funds.

I'm glad I'm not retiring in 5 or 10 years, but in deciding whether we should make any changes, we decided to just let it ride out. Which really doesn't seem that smart, but oh well. :dunno:
Your fixed debt is in dollars (I assume) and so is the cash you hold. It is a wash. Can anyone comment on TIPS? Assume we remain solvent as a nation in the response because if not it won't matter.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Can anyone comment on TIPS? Assume we remain solvent as a nation in the response because if not it won't matter.

Assuming that the nation remains solvent; assuming that you hold them in a tax-deferred retirement account; assuming that the government-reported CPI isn't a fairytale; and assuming your portfolio's asset allocation and diversification are neither too aggressive nor too conservative for your age--they're OK.

rancid

Beach Fanatic
Aug 9, 2006
Thank you!

What happens from here on out is anyone's guess, but I don't have confidence in the Fed. What stinks is I was trying to figure out today the best way to ride it all out (besides getting rid of debt). Cash reserves are great but if the Fed is pumping $ in, isn't it silly to hold on to cash since inflation is inevitable? The fate of the S&P 500 is questionable, buying gold seems dumb because it's already gone up so much, no one wants to buy real estate. I'm not sure about bonds or international funds. We have some of each. (Individual stocks are not our thing -- we have nowhere near enough time to research and keep up with them.)

Buy euros