• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
Update from Bay County, it passed 4-1. I have posted a couple of sections so that I won't get in trouble for a post and run.. ;-)

Bay County Commission Passes 5th Cent Bed Tax Increase for Panama City Beach | pcbdaily.com

"Last month the Bay County Commission passed with a majority vote to increase the bed tax collected from 3 cents to 4 cents. In order to pass the 5th cent increase, a super majority vote was required, that is to say that 4 of the 5 commissioners had to vote in approval. The lack of the super majority support on the 4th cent influenced Commissioner Mike Thomas to request that voting on the 5th be tabled until the regularly scheduled meeting that was held today so that his fellow commissioners could further educate themselves on the ramifications of this decision."

"This 5th cent will be used for advertising, in a cooperative relationship with an airline(s) that may have an interest in flying into our new airport. For example: a string of advertisements in Chicago that would advertise special rates with X airline on trips to Panama City Beach, FL. This would give incentive to the airline that their flights here would be well occupied and increase the number of people exposed to our beautiful area."

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Robert
If you won't name names then it is rumor. Obviously they have not gone on record. Keeping it secret allows them to change their mind.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
...I'm getting a feeling deep in my gut that this bed tax increase is already a "done deal"...either that, or I got a bad oyster at lunch today.

:roll:

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Robert
If you won't name names then it is rumor. Obviously they have not gone on record. Keeping it secret allows them to change their mind.

A rumor is an unverified account. Not my problem if you are choosing not to verify it. I trust both individuals to be telling me how they feel. Like anything else, I am sure it could change. But I am not going to assist the tax and spend union supporting liberals by painting targets on their backs so that pressure can be unduly focused on them.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
...I'm getting a feeling deep in my gut that this bed tax increase is already a "done deal"...either that, or I got a bad oyster at lunch today.

:roll:

As much hail as I am catching for speaking out against this thing, I am coming to believe that while it was not a done deal, there were some overtures made by someone that it would be done, not to worry about it.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
As much hail as I am catching for speaking out against this thing, I am coming to believe that while it was not a done deal, there were some overtures made by someone that it would be done, not to worry about it.

It appears that a 'deal' was stuck with Bay--"you guys vote it in first (since it's your airport), and then we'll follow." Kinda like tossing a smoke grenade to cover up the impending assault--some of the folks out here in Taxpayer's Land aren't nearly as stupid as the politicos think we are.

Of course someone needs to vote against it--maybe determined by a lively game of "Rock-Paper-Scissors?"

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
A rumor is an unverified account. Not my problem if you are choosing not to verify it. I trust both individuals to be telling me how they feel. Like anything else, I am sure it could change. But I am not going to assist the tax and spend union supporting liberals by painting targets on their backs so that pressure can be unduly focused on them.

Tax and spend liberals huh? Perhaps you can list the democrats on the BCC? Here's a quick run down:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
All of the money raised by the tax increase in Bay County is planned to be spent attracting an airline. Only part of the money raised in Walton County by the 1-cent increase would go toward attracting an airline. More would be spent as an investment in the area to attract additional tourists and ultimately, businesses.

Projects mentioned are a sports complex and a performing arts center. A sports complex (ball fields, swimming pool, etc.) would not only benefit local familes, but events such as a major youth soccer tournament (1st annual event currently being planned) drawing teams from across the southeast, would fill up a lot of rentals and benefit local businesses by creating additional revenue.

Such a complex would also offer the space to properly conduct even larger outdoor events throughout the year - think music festival, car show, etc.

A performing arts center has obvious benefits for culture and economic opportunities, while benefitting existing companies like the Seaside Rep.

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
All of the money raised by the tax increase in Bay County is planned to be spent attracting an airline. Only part of the money raised in Walton County by the 1-cent increase would go toward attracting an airline. More would be spent as an investment in the area to attract additional tourists and ultimately, businesses.

Projects mentioned are a sports complex and a performing arts center. A sports complex (ball fields, swimming pool, etc.) would not only benefit local familes, but events such as a major youth soccer tournament (1st annual event currently being planned) drawing teams from across the southeast, would fill up a lot of rentals and benefit local businesses by creating additional revenue.

Such a complex would also offer the space to properly conduct even larger outdoor events throughout the year - think music festival, car show, etc.

A performing arts center has obvious benefits for culture and economic opportunities, while benefitting existing companies like the Seaside Rep.

Thanks for the rundown Kurt. All of these things sound great -- especially if you are a full-timer. In the long-term, maybe it's a good idea. I'm all for sports, culture, creating a real community, etc.

But in the short term -- and this may be the very short term, we just don't know -- I will have a very hard time explaining it to the renters that I deal with directly. I am certain it will hurt property owners during a time when deep discounts seem to be in order for many of those who rent out their places.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
I will have a very hard time explaining it to the renters that I deal with directly. I am certain it will hurt property owners during a time when deep discounts seem to be in order for many of those who rent out their places.

Just WOW them with this: http://thebeachfla.com/where.php
They'll understand :roll: