• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Get those Beach (tm) digs in now. My understanding is that it won't be around much longer.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Thanks for the rundown Kurt. All of these things sound great -- especially if you are a full-timer. In the long-term, maybe it's a good idea. I'm all for sports, culture, creating a real community, etc.

But in the short term -- and this may be the very short term, we just don't know -- I will have a very hard time explaining it to the renters that I deal with directly. I am certain it will hurt property owners during a time when deep discounts seem to be in order for many of those who rent out their places.

What is to explain. You will just have to reduce your prices and allow the collective to have their share. It is for the good of the collective.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
No mention of sports complex here:

Bay County Votes "Yes" on Bed Tax Increase

and nothing here

wmbb.com - Tourist Development Council Pushes to Collect

A TDC member has mentioned it to me as a possibility and it was discussed during the election season with one commissioner candidate that I am aware of. And if the dollars were committed for such a complex, I would have to seriously rethink my position. But it does appear that the TDC is contributing $25K toward the study of a low cost airline. At least that is what I am getting from the last news story.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
All of the money raised by the tax increase in Bay County is planned to be spent attracting an airline. Only part of the money raised in Walton County by the 1-cent increase would go toward attracting an airline. More would be spent as an investment in the area to attract additional tourists and ultimately, businesses.

Projects mentioned are a sports complex and a performing arts center. A sports complex (ball fields, swimming pool, etc.) would not only benefit local familes, but events such as a major youth soccer tournament (1st annual event currently being planned) drawing teams from across the southeast, would fill up a lot of rentals and benefit local businesses by creating additional revenue.

Such a complex would also offer the space to properly conduct even larger outdoor events throughout the year - think music festival, car show, etc.

A performing arts center has obvious benefits for culture and economic opportunities, while benefitting existing companies like the Seaside Rep.

They might buy a bunch of sexy signage, too:blink:

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
A rumor is an unverified account. Not my problem if you are choosing not to verify it. I trust both individuals to be telling me how they feel. Like anything else, I am sure it could change. But I am not going to assist the tax and spend union supporting liberals by painting targets on their backs so that pressure can be unduly focused on them.

Although I can count the number of times I have voted for a Democrat on one hand, I do not consider myself a liberal, more like an independent, conservative leaning individual. I vote for the person not the party. It used to be when I was a lock step Republican, I voted that way. here I am almost 50 and I have decided I will vote the person. As you have admitted you know politicians can and do change their minds. All I was suggesting is it would maybe give them an incentive to stay the course and those who oppose or support the increase would have the opportunity to encourage them to their point of view. Prior to Bay County Commissioners approving the Bed Tax increase there wer 2 who said publicly they would oppose.

Now Robert on a more personal note, it is obvious we do not agree all a lot of things and I have attempted to remain civil and will continue to. So if at anytime I have offended you, I apologize.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
No mention of sports complex here:

Bay County Votes "Yes" on Bed Tax Increase

and nothing here

wmbb.com - Tourist Development Council Pushes to Collect

A TDC member has mentioned it to me as a possibility and it was discussed during the election season with one commissioner candidate that I am aware of. And if the dollars were committed for such a complex, I would have to seriously rethink my position. But it does appear that the TDC is contributing $25K toward the study of a low cost airline. At least that is what I am getting from the last news story.

Please re-read my post about the sports complex. There are 2 different TDCs involved - one for Bay County and one for Walton County. Bay County already has a sports complex - Frank Brown Park. The reports you posted refer to Bay County.

traderx

Beach Fanatic
Mar 25, 2008
Maybe they will use the extra tax receipts to wash comforters after each rental. :D

Know what? I am hereby on strike. I will not rent another property in Walton county. I will take my biz elsewhere. I am not (yet) a property owner down there so this is a tax on me. I am getting a little tired of the "soak the tourists" mentality. Of course, then there is the reservation fee charged by (ahem) some property managers. Boycotting them too. :angry:

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Mary Brown, TDC board member said that we need to remember that this tax is not on us, it is on the tourists so we should not oppose it.

I think she is also trying to organize a tea party against unfair taxation. So much for principles.

Sonny Mares said the dollars would be used to help get a low cost, SW, airline into either Okaloosa or Bay County. Okaloosa has not shown an interest according to Sonny. According to Okaloosa they have not been asked.

Median income of tourists in Bay County is 76K, Walton is 142K, and Okaloosa is 122K, I think. Was hard to hear. Do not know why we are chasing the cheap seats. I guess Walton needs some of those adult stores on 30 A like that have on Front Beach Rd.

Not going to matter. With opposition against the corridor authority building the chances of seeing a road through Peach Creek to the Bay County Airport are going to evaporate as the St. Joe influence wanes. So any marketing that the Walton County tourist fund is just going to help fill up the cheap seats in Bay County.